Author Topic: Weapon effect suggestion?  (Read 11520 times)

Offline Solatar

If somebody is really worried about it. They can asign a .pcx file to be the "edge" of the shockwave. Making the whole thing look three dimensional from any angle.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Hades
If somebody is really worried about it. They can asign a .pcx file to be the "edge" of the shockwave. Making the whole thing look three dimensional from any angle.

I've thought about that put it would be very tricky to get right. Cant just shove it in when it becomes parallel.

Perhaps a <>-------------------center------------------<> shape would work.

Might as well see how it looks first I guess, if venom2506 is right perhaps its not that bad.

Just out of interest what would determine which way it is oriented?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
maybe you could have a poly aligned along the perpondicular axis of the shockwave that renders like a beam, and add to it's z value ass the shockwave expands
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What would be really cool would be rendering it as a torus object........ of course, that could be poly-rific.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and we could set the alpha based on the angle you are looking at it so it only comes into view as the shockwave comes in on edge
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Actually I've been thinking about this torus path now. With Bobbaou using the warp hole model to project that, I'm wondering if perhaps this is how it should go instead. Basically, we'd stretch the ani over the model, so when you were parrallel with the front, it would look like the blue 'front' was approaching you.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Gah, replied to wrong topic. :p
« Last Edit: October 27, 2002, 02:57:21 am by 173 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
find the laser code, and give the shockwave a glow. voila!
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##
Actually I've been thinking about this torus path now. With Bobbaou using the warp hole model to project that, I'm wondering if perhaps this is how it should go instead. Basically, we'd stretch the ani over the model, so when you were parrallel with the front, it would look like the blue 'front' was approaching you.

Maybe it would be more efficient to use a flattened cylinder than a torus?

(i.e. take a cylinder, and make the outermost ends 'sharp' to help the effect.... also weld together the centre polies on the top/ bottom 'caps' of the cylinder to create a depression in the centre, and use transparency to get a torus-like appearance, but without as many polys to be rendered....)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
to prevent the shockwave no-seeing thing from happening, you could just code in something in the flavour of the perspective shockwave never being shown on certain angles (somewhere from 0-20 degrees) if you know what I mean. That way, the shockwave would always show.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my code is designed to be able to do that sort of thing
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Umm... are you guys also planning on altering FS2's shockwave collision code? Because if what's onscreen doesn't match what happens to the player's ship, people are going to get pissed off.

FS2's nice spherical shockwaves may be somewhat improbable, but flat-disc shockwaves under these conditions are physically impossible, and exist only because of lazy or technically constrained animators.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 08:22:49 am by 264 »
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.