Author Topic: strafing  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
her... if I asked for that, it's for a reason, i didn't ask for alternative ways :P
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Originally posted by venom2506
Nah: the turret thinguy is no fun, and you couldn't control it anyway. I also don't want that to be available only on a couple ships. the damping factor in the tbls does that, more or less, yeah. but you can't control anything. try a dogfight with high damping...

...thus making bombers more dedicated anticaps, and fighters the dogfighters. I don't see the problem- this seems like an advantage to gameplay for me.

I think it would require revamping the physics engine to do it the other way, making it at least halfway Newtonian, and I doubt many want that- Newtonian dogfights are no fun at all.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Guys....its just like Wing Commander.  Anyone here played the venerable Wing Commander lineup?  Lets use WCP as an example.

If you hold a certain button (I think its CAPSLOCK)...your ship will continue at its current set velocity and set course.  When you tap the joystick around while holding the button (or toggled the button) your craft then manuvers on its axis without changing direction.

Its sliding.  Your ship slides one way, you control your crafts direction along the same path for the entire way.  Go play WC!! :) (note: Panther, Vampire, and Pirahna had this ability, other craft did not).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've been only playing WC: Privateer and WC2 full versions. :)
I have also tried WC3 and 4 demos or whatever they were.

Never have had a change to play WC Prophecy tho... :(

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we the problem is that unlike other games much of FS's physics is held in the fighters frame of reference, velosity is  in terms of speed it travels along it's three axes
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ah-yup. Bob's got it- it can't do what those games do, because it's not built in the same way. Even the small degree of it there is (the whole inertia thing) is simulated. If you can substitute one set of table data for another by puching a button, you might have a way, and if you figure out a way to do that, all power to you- that'd be one of the coolest source edits ever. But you can't just sit down, reengineer the whole flight engine, and plunk it out in a week, centered around a new modification. If there was some glaring problem, then I could see someone attempting it, or if everyone wanted a completely different mode of gameplay, but to fix some little thing like this, which can be done in several ways already in the game...

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Stryke 9
If you can substitute one set of table data for another by puching a button, you might have a way, and if you figure out a way to do that, all power to you- that'd be one of the coolest source edits ever.

this has been already done, wake up :P can even change pof that way. The robotech mod coders did, btw.
btw, the strafing key was in wing commander4 too (dunno for wc3 )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
'Ell then, ye've got yer bleedin' solution right there, now eh?

Just make an extra table set with nothing changed but the inertia. Go wild.

Offline Nico

• Venom
'Ell then, ye've got yer bleedin' solution right there, now eh?

Just make an extra table set with nothing changed but the inertia. Go wild.

but the damping in fs2 makes weird things, try by yourself, you'll understand quickly what I mean.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Can't. File's corrupted. Folder's no-access. Like what?

Offline Nico

• Venom
Can't. File's corrupted. Folder's no-access. Like what?

? take the herc2 entry for exemple, and put a bigger value for the damp factors. and try ingame. and try to follow a dragon :P
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Which is why you'd only have it on momentarily, while strafing. I think we've been over this.

Offline Nico

• Venom
you maybe, not me. I wanna see programmers say: no, it's not possible, at least.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Anaz

*flips out*

ok....this is reallly easy to do....from what I understand that venom wants, alls you need to do is lower the normal on the fireing point by say .2!!! simple, no? Add a function (strafe_on() and strafe_off()), a boolian to see if we are strafing (logic issues, so that you can't keep raising/lowering your fireing arcs...). When the strafe_on() function is called, lower all the primary firing point normals by some #define or a const int...when strafe_off() is called, raise it by that amount....geez...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
is this what you want some sort of ability to controle the normals, keep in mind once you have them off center there realy isn't any way to use the reticle acurately
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Solatar

Only have this on when the strafe key is pressed. You don't need to reticle to attack a capital ship. If you miss a capital ship at point blank range, then you shouldn't be here.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Suggestion: If/when this is implemented, make it controlled by a flag on the ship so that some ships will have the capability (Bombers), while others (ie the Perseus) will not.
-C

Doesn't sound like that'd be impossible, just needs some maths. While you hold down this button and rotate, the game adjusts the ratio between the different axis of movement.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
There is code in the FS2 source for changing a ship's type on the fly (It's actually used in things like multiplayer respawning, FRED2's ship editor, the main ship selection screen, and other stuff.) that I believe Ronin used for the RT MOD's transformation system. However, that system was a bit of a mess (the number of ships and transformation order was hardcoded and we were going to recycle the no_warp flag to tell if a ship is transformable) and Ronin and I want to replace that with a table based transformation system that we could get put into (or built within) fs2_open. I can't do a lot of code work though because I can't compile the source. (Though I wrote a function that, hopefully, would be able to read in the table data. I couldn't test it though and I don't know how far along Ronin is right now.)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Hmm - well hopefully it'll get put in as a basic feature. I can see a lot of use for ships with transforming parts which also swaps their flight characterisitics and such - you could make interceptor fighters that behaved like the F-14 Tomcat with the wings and such.