Author Topic: Quite a pickle... (Just venting my frustrations)  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Dracos

Quite a pickle... (Just venting my frustrations)
I hope nobody is bothered by this, if so, feel free to delete this thread, I'm just venting...

Last week, I had Visual Studio open doing some work when all of a sudden, my machine crashes.  No biggie, I thought.  I check the temperature of my CPU and it's WELL above what it should be.  I change out my CPU fan (because it isn't doing its job well enough) and boot the system.  Now it crashes during OS initialization.  First thought that springs to mind: Burned up CPU.  I change out the CPU, and I get nothing.  I change the CPU back, I get nothing.  The BIOS doesn't even post.  No beep codes, nothing.  Ok, no biggie, I have another motherboard I can use...

I build another machine from the other motherboard and a socket 7 cpu.  Everything's running smoothly.  Then, the OS goes down on that machine.  The hard disk is dead.  No problem.. Replace the hard disk.  That hard disk doesn't work either... Hmm... Maybe it's the IDE controller.  I install a PCI RAID controller.  Smooth sailing.  The HDD spins up, and starts to run.  After a couple days it dies again.  I'm still waiting for my new motherboard, and I'm down to 2 hard drives.  (One of which is ext3 formatted and running in my server which holds 40 G of data I can't afford to lose.)  Finally the inevitable happens and the NTFS drive dies.  

Next, I'm stuck looking at the command line in linux installing XFree86 and KDE.  I can live with linux.  The installs go as planned.  KDE crashes.  I check the logs - nothing.    I reinstall KDE it crashes again.  Ok... I install Gnome... it crashes.  I install Enlightenment... ditto.  It's a problem with my X install.  I download the source, recompile, and boom... I'm up.  Now, I've got nothing on my K menu under KDE.  I finally decide to give up on all the headaches and re-install linux.  I've managed to backup 40 G of data, and I'm downloading the RedHat 9 ISOs right now.  It looks like I'm going to be staring at linux for about 3 weeks whilst I wait on my new motherboard and HDD.  All I want to know is what did I do to deserve all this?

Heh... Seriously though, if anybody actually reads this much of my post, how's the state of the linux version? Playable? I'd love to be able to play FS2 while I wait to keep my mind off my newly found financial problems (Motherboards aren't cheap, and programmers can't work without computers.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 01:47:32 am by 1417 »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think we have a working code base, or at least close to it, not sure though
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dracos

Sweet.  Thanks.  Everybody wish me luck (especially for the integrity of my backed-up data not to mention whether or not I backed up everything that I need...) I'm about to start the re-install...

well, good luck on re-installing......

the linux version is pretty well working AFAIK, it won't run under a knoppix CD version, but that was something with knoppix IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Dracos, can you check your power? 350W or better a new Zalman 400W for a replacement if faulty.  It can be surprising how many things can go wrong because of bad power.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Ouch, that really sucks.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
wow! what a catastrophe!  good luck with the install!

checking power would be a wonderfully good thing!  If your PS was bad it could have been massively overvolting the main busses
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Dracos

True, but I had already thought of that.  One of the first precautions I took after the MB and HDD died on my original machine was to change out the power supply.  I guess it's just one of the consequences of working my hardware to death.  

I've got Redhat up and running right now, in the process of pulling the mozilla sources. (I can't stand the old version RH9 comes with, and the prebuilt releases don't have Xft support compiled in.)  Going to recompile the kernel and get my websites back up and running.  As much as I hate using my server as a desktop, it's either this or starve, heh.  

Thanks for the kind words.

[EDIT]
Well, I'll be a son of a goat.  This being the third case/power supply I've used this week (the other ones had nothing wrong with them, after double checking)  I never thought I'd find this out... Heh.  Following you guys' advice and on a whim of 'I sure hope this one doesn't break' I checked the voltages on this power supply and found out I wasn't getting ENOUGH power...  That explains the segfaults while compiling mozilla.  It's fixed now, so a big THANK YOU to you guys for sparking my curiosity.  Now if my new board and drive will just hurry...
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 05:51:31 am by 1417 »