Author Topic: Ship select screen updating  (Read 7330 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Ship select screen updating
Obviously, Hot, you've forgotten the detailed weapon models we have for the 158th. :D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Obviously, Hot, you've forgotten the detailed weapon models we have for the 158th.
No, I do remember them.

They were meaning to use weapon models in the loadout screen like you would use ship models in the ship selection screen with ##UnknownPlayer##'s ss update.
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by HotSnoJ
Besides high-poly real-time rendering can make low end system cry.
Such models wouldn't be that kind of high-poly.  IceFire and Venom meant that we should have models of weapons with, say, 700 polies instead of the current ones used in-game that have maybe 25 polies.  A system capable of running FS2 at all will be able to handle 700 polies with ease.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
Such models wouldn't be that kind of high-poly.  IceFire and Venom meant that we should have models of weapons with, say, 700 polies instead of the current ones used in-game that have maybe 25 polies.  A system capable of running FS2 at all will be able to handle 700 polies with ease.
Quietly reminds Sesquipedalian of primary weapons.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
I'm all for having weapons model rendering, but if we do, could it be made to support models in the thousands of polys?  Most 158th weapons (if I recall correctly) are in the area of 2k polygons.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
With the new HT&L you could make models with around 1,5k.

Though I suggest to use LODs for the weapons as well. Reason? Puttin them on the fighters in-game.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Quietly reminds Sesquipedalian of primary weapons.
:wtf: Yes...  The idea is to build some models, so we'll build them to whatever specifications we need.  What exactly is your issue here?

Originally posted by LtNarol
I'm all for having weapons model rendering, but if we do, could it be made to support models in the thousands of polys?  Most 158th weapons (if I recall correctly) are in the area of 2k polygons.
Why not run a MultiRes modifier on them in max (or an equivalent in whatever program you use)?  You should be able to reduce the poly count easily without sacrificing much in visual presentation.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
:wtf: Yes...  The idea is to build some models, so we'll build them to whatever specifications we need.  What exactly is your issue here?
And I don't know yours. Are you meaning Freelancer like weapon system where you can see the guns on the ship? Otherwise I don't see the point of making models for this. :sigh:

*goes and tries to finish ss/loadout ani tutorial*

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
First, 158th Primary Weapons models are in the 20k range, not the 2k range.

Second, we're dealing with one model on the screen here, not lots. I don't think the same poly limits apply.

Third, the point of making models for this is that, for most people, making a model for a weapon is a hell of a lot easier than making a model of the weapon, rendering it and building and ANI.

I'll make ~700 to 1500 poly models for the 158th weapons for sure.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
2k, 20k, minor detail; only 1 zero :p

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sorry to bump this AGAIN, but I was flying Phreak's latest build (2003/10/04) and noticed that this feature was implimented.  The ship ani in the ship select screen has been replaced by the rotating pof from the tech room.  Now, this differs from the ani in that there is no green grid (so no glow reflecting off the ship's hull), the ship rotates slower than in the ani, and there isn't that thing where the ship starts out being scanned in in a top-down perspective, then transitions to the rotating profile.  Now, we don't NEED these kind of additions and I don't know if any of you have plans to add these changes in, or even if its possible to do some of them, but at present the scan sound is still being implimented.  I'd just like to know, if you have no plans to make said changes, or know they would be too hard or impossible to do, could you remove the scanning sound from the code... or would that screw up the display in the loadout screen too?

GE (or GalEmp), this new feature could save you a lot of ani work for the Port SCP edition.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
hint* maybe we should enable the wireframe thingy there? :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Sorry to bump this AGAIN, but I was flying Phreak's latest build (2003/10/04) and noticed that this feature was implimented.  The ship ani in the ship select screen has been replaced by the rotating pof from the tech room.  Now, this differs from the ani in that there is no green grid (so no glow reflecting off the ship's hull), the ship rotates slower than in the ani, and there isn't that thing where the ship starts out being scanned in in a top-down perspective, then transitions to the rotating profile.  Now, we don't NEED these kind of additions and I don't know if any of you have plans to add these changes in, or even if its possible to do some of them, but at present the scan sound is still being implimented.  I'd just like to know, if you have no plans to make said changes, or know they would be too hard or impossible to do, could you remove the scanning sound from the code... or would that screw up the display in the loadout screen too?

GE (or GalEmp), this new feature could save you a lot of ani work for the Port SCP edition.

Later!

the scaniong thing SHOULD ( I'm not coder, so I prefer to emphasize ) be possible to do:
we can already render wirefarmes, right? so first, you get a multipass render with the wireframe and the normal mesh. then we SHOULD be able to make the normal mesh appear like in the scanning ani: that's exactly what happens when a ship jumps in, right? voila, the basic idea is to mix both to get the effect.
SCREW CANON!

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!

Offline Nico

• Venom
we're talking real time 3D here :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
Originally posted by Venom
we're talking real time 3D here :p
But why do that when you got a perfectly good way of making them? :confused:

I know, you just don't want to use Blender! :ha:

Offline Nico

• Venom
1) yeah, I don't want to user blender
2) it's damn boring to make those
3) they're time consuming, does your walkrtrhough explains how to free some daily time? :p
4) they take a lot of place, so they're a pain to upload then download

Are those reasons enough for you? If not, I can probably make up a few others :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
Originally posted by Venom
//That's a hard one.
Really?! I think it's somewhat fun. :p
3) they're time consuming, does your walkrtrhough explains how to free some daily time? :p
No it doesn't explain how to free time, but it is faster then other ways of doing it. :p :ha:
Maybe for you, but I got DSL. So it's not a problem.

Are those reasons enough for you? If not, I can probably make up a few others :D

Offline Nico

• Venom
//That's a hard one.
bleh :p
Really?! I think it's somewhat fun.
make a dopzen of those, then come back to me :p
3) they're time consuming, does your walkrtrhough explains how to free some daily time?
No it doesn't explain how to free time, but it is faster then other ways of doing it.
can't be faster than not doing them and letting FS2 rotate the ships for you :p
Maybe for you, but I got DSL. So it's not a problem.
I have DSL too, but, for exemple, my OTT data folder was around 200mb. Most of that being anis. uploading 200mb sux, even with DSL  

Anyway, the code is there, no matter how much you can argue, so i've already won the argument :p :D :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
1)I don't like blender ether
2)for BWO I made... a lot, I still like makeing them, even for both resolutions
3)it takes me all of five minutes to set up then all I have to do is hit render to file and walk away
4)this is a good point

people should have the option of useing ether, and I like this addition, thugh I did like makeing all those animations :(
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together