Author Topic: IMPORTANT: FS2 Full Install Download @ FilePlanet  (Read 24332 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IMPORTANT: FS2 Download @ FP (update 19 Nov)
I think that having it available as a beta to subscribers, where they are aware that they should be reporting bug reports back to us, would be fine... same thing as if someone downloaded the beta from HLP. But once v1.0 is ready, it should be made available to both subscibers and non-subscribers simultaneously.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
Basically the subscribers get the beta of Fractux's work not the SCP's. Sounds reasonable to me.

They still get access to Fractux's FS2 Install before everyone else does and the SCP still gets to carry on their work unimpeded. They also get the latest stable build as part of the overall package. The rest of us still get to download it seperately.

Personally I think that Fractux's install alone is enough to keep the subscribers happy. Although it won't contain anything new the way he's working to bring everything together into one easy to use package is something worth having.

I concur. What we really need to have is a very stable build to put into the Fractux version. 3.6, I guess. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Setekh

Dude? Subscribers aren't the only ones who get their hands on it - it's a delayed full-public release. Go read a few pages back if you haven't already. :)

I'm not sure if I get this right. So GameSpy would host Fractux's version (for subscribers). When will everyone else get their hands on it?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
About a week, maybe a fortnight after the subscibers have beta-tested it. The same as with all the other 'subscriber exclusives' at FP, which are available on the public servers soon after the beta period.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Setekh
About a week, maybe a fortnight after the subscibers have beta-tested it. The same as with all the other 'subscriber exclusives' at FP, which are available on the public servers soon after the beta period.

Great!:D  
I was dreading it would take much longer, but a week sounds reasonable. Now, get this thing going. I want to go and pimp FS2 everywhere :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Indeed. Pending the thoughts of Fractux and the coders, I think we have some hard work ahead of us in terms of bug-squashing, content finalisation (what to package with the full-install) and polishing the release package - and then we'll be good to go. :)

Offline J3Vr6

Well this is good news!!!  I feel that things are really gonna pick up for the SCP!
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
we still can circulate beta exes within the community?  if so, then it would be a good idea
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by PhReAk
we still can circulate beta exes within the community?  if so, then it would be a good idea

Yes, of course. :) This is nothing but an addition to the system we already have in place, not a replacement download location. :nod:

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
ok.  sounds like a nice plan.   but before we do anything, we have to have an FAQ that everyone should be able to comprehend
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Fractux

Well this is a very nice develpment!

I'm going to breifly outline what I have done up to this point and what needs to be done:

- I have the installer script working perfectly. It will install FS2 with the avi movies as optional (currently sparky-hi is listed as a removable option for the minimum install, but I'm going to change that).

- What I need to work on, and what I set up the Yahoo group for, was to be able to work on the documentation. I'm going to change the settings so that any member can upload files so that changes can be submitted.

- My thoughts were of waiting on releasing this to FP untill the SCP is able to get out version 3.6. I also wanted to include FRED_Open as well.

I will include the original exe files, however. [That way, in the documentation we can say that if the FS2_OPEN build is not working, you can just set the Launcher to launch the original FS2.exe

The major thing I'm concerned about right now was the bug that prevented .avi cutscene playback in the 3.5.5 build. i know Random Tiger is working on this issue, and this is one thing that I hope will get fixed. (I know cutscenes are just a small part of a game, but a lot of people like the glitter, and they really give you a good sense of the story behind it all).

This release really only hinges on two major factors:

1- when the documentation is ready
2- when we have an FS2_Open/Fred2_Open release that the SCP says they are willing to have included in this.

I know that FS2_Open is always under development, and that's why in the install there is a shorcut lik to the FSSCP website that will be placed on their destop to get them to click on the darn thing when they install and see if there are any updates. (also a link in the star menu folder.)

During the install there will be a notice for them to go to the website and check if there's an updated version.

Anyways, props to eeryone for putting their time in.

Also, if you want to help coordinate the documentation, go to the yahoo group. I'm going to change it so that any member can uplod files.

I have to jet, but I'll check back tonight.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Heheheh, once it's hosted its about time to p1mp FS2 everywhere we can... Imagine all the people we'd get :) :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
This is going to be cool, but we'd better get ready for lots of inane questions from all the newbies this is going to bring.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
hey this is cool:)

i gonna pimp this every forum i know

and send message to few friends about this so they can post new's about this when it's Hosted
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 10:16:55 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Liberator
This is going to be cool, but we'd better get ready for lots of inane questions from all the newbies this is going to bring.

yes.. there'll prolly some |337 haXX0rZ too "whastup! since i InsatalleZored FSO it CraShZoreS U sUkC!"... but who cares :lol:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
I'm emailling him to say that we are _not_ moving

Hello,
          I am Derek Meek (aka "Kazan") - I was the one that started the thread about the possible migration away from GameSpy's network.  That was in respone to the recent use of the DMCA by GameSpy, which initialially looked like a bogus abuse of the DMCA.  After several emails between myself and another member of gamespy, and closer inspection of the person served with the DMCA violation I decided that GameSpy had a legitimate reason to invoke the DMCA and decided that we didn't need to censure them and move away.   I am happy that GameSpy did not irresponsibly and abusively invoke the DMCA - responsible usage of an irresponsible law is forgiveable.
        I look forward to the FilePlanet release of FS2:SCP and getting my multiplayer tracking system up for FS2:SCP multiplayer.

Also, the discussion of release beta's to subscribers has come up constantly, and the community thinks perhaps you're missing something about the way we work.  Between "stable builds" such as FS2Open 3.5.5 there are constantly released versions of the exec to have members of the community test features and have updated artwork, etc ready for the next stable release.  An example of this are the shinemaps that are coming out with FS2Open 3.6 -- the shinemap code was developed between 3.5.5 and 3.6, and we released "developement builds" that allowed people to test and use features.  So we are kinda in a constant beta-cycle.  If by Betas for subscribers you mean Betas of the packaged FS2Open stable releases with all the files then we should find a term to call these.. perhaps package releases, or something similar.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 01:08:33 pm by 30 »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline RandomTiger

This is all great news.
However the SCP does have some serious bugs in it at the moment.
As long as we can get these sorted out before any big release thats OK.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Fractux
- What I need to work on, and what I set up the Yahoo group for, was to be able to work on the documentation. I'm going to change the settings so that any member can upload files so that changes can be submitted.

Also, if you want to help coordinate the documentation, go to the yahoo group. I'm going to change it so that any member can uplod files.

Feel free to make use of the Freespace Documentation Wiki if you'd like - I think people are more used to it than they would be to a Yahoo group (I tried setting one of those up years ago, and it sucked). Make a new category, subcategory, whetever you need. It's primary purpose there is for collaborative documentation, after all. :)

Originally posted by Kazan
...responsible usage of an irresponsible law is forgiveable...

:lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
sandwich: i think you get what i mean

IE DMCA = abuseable law

person it was used against deserved being gone after (And also was not only under DMCA) so = justified/responsible usage
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Kazan
sandwich: i think you get what i mean

IE DMCA = abuseable law

person it was used against deserved being gone after (And also was not only under DMCA) so = justified/responsible usage

No, I understood exactly what you were trying to say, I was laughing at the brilliance of the way you put it. Insulting the law while complimenting those who upheld it, all in one sentence. :D