Author Topic: IMPORTANT: FS2 Full Install Download @ FilePlanet  (Read 24352 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
IMPORTANT: FS2 Download @ FP (update 19 Nov)
Originally posted by Styxx
Interesting.

The licence agreement part is a bit "iffy" though. I don't know if there's any provision for distributing the actual content of the game with the source code, except for the clause on the EULA that says you can copy it to your friends, and I don't really think that this stuff would apply to it being mass distributed by a huge site like Gamespy.

Well technically because of FS2's availability at the Underdogs it is under mass distribution at this moment.

The only problem I see is the fileplanet subscriber's getting a beta version when you're not supposed to commercially exploit the source code. The subscription servers is under a definate legal grey area...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I think the Subscriber thing would fall under "otherwise commercially exploit". :doubt:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sandwich posted about this back several months ago... the "make copies to give to your friends" phrase appeared in the game installation but not the readme.  I'll have to go dig something up.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm fully aware of that clause - in fact, here it is:

[q]You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis. This limited right to copy the Software expressly excludes any copying or distribution of the Software on a commercial basis, including, without limitation, bundling the product with any other product or service and any give away of the Software in connection with another product or service.[/q]

But note that last bit...

[q]This limited right to copy the Software expressly excludes... any give away of the Software in connection with another product or service.[/q]

That definitely excludes the Fileplanet subscribers, because they pay for that. I don't know if it excludes Fileplanet altogether.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Fractux
Oh yeah, and considering the statement

"All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not sell
or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the
source."

This comment is at the top of every source code file in the freespace project.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
just, explaine that we are constantly giveing out beta copys at the forums, I supose just giveing out a email to those subscribed when ever we have a new beta redy for testing would be OK wouldn't it?

we may have to do something like, make all of our own interface art, ships weapon effects and campaine, if this is our only recorse we can do it, and there is nothing Interplay can do to stop us, if its all our origonal artwork becase were not distributing there material and were not distributeing there game, if we were to make FSO somehow incompatable with origonal FS (as in changed the names of a few key peices of interface art) then we could distribute our own set of art without haveing to wory about Interplay saying we were distributeing a crack for FS
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Make all of our own art... holy crap, now that would be something to be reckoned with. :eek2: Good point on the crack thing, but damn man, that is huge. That would take us years.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is something like 1178 peices of interface art, we have at least 100 artist on this board capable of makeing something equivilent to 90% of the exsisting interface art, that means everyone would just have to make little over 10 peices of art, most of it insainly simple things like a red line runing half way down a 32X32 pcx file, actualy if we saved it all in jpeg or targa that would make it incompatable with origonal FS but playable with FSopen (and actualy looking better)
the bigger problems I think we'd have would be something like the FS logo itself, how can we have FS without the FS logo, but if interplay owns the FS logo, we won't be able to distribute anything with the FS logo in it, therefore we'd need to come up with a new logo, maybe the HLP logo :D it is cool enough
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That is quite true, and I would crack up for the HLP logo replacing the GTVA. :lol: But, dude... the missions, the models... wouldn't we logically have to replace those too?

Offline redmenace

in order to convince anyone to make a freespace 3 you would have to prove this to be insanly popular. NO GET AHEAD OF THEM SELVES.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Starks

Why don't we just call up Volition? They have a support line.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase there responce will be, and I quote

"d'know"
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
really?  Whats there number, I will call them tomorrow just to hear that.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i seem to remember it being quite easy to get V guys on the phone - but this was before THQ bought them
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Well, since it can't be distributed commerically, make sure it remains a free download.  We can't distribute the main campaign, so let's get s good fan-made campaign instead.

If they are really anal, then replace everything in there like it was mentioned above (but only as last resort) :D

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Bobboau
just, explaine that we are constantly giveing out beta copys at the forums, I supose just giveing out a email to those subscribed when ever we have a new beta redy for testing would be OK wouldn't it?

we may have to do something like, make all of our own interface art, ships weapon effects and campaine, if this is our only recorse we can do it, and there is nothing Interplay can do to stop us, if its all our origonal artwork becase were not distributing there material and were not distributeing there game, if we were to make FSO somehow incompatable with origonal FS (as in changed the names of a few key peices of interface art) then we could distribute our own set of art without haveing to wory about Interplay saying we were distributeing a crack for FS

It doesn't matter if there is all original artwork or not, if it is based on the FS sourcecode the liscense agreement applies.

As stated before since FS2 is already on the Underdogs, the SCP being on Fileplanet for download should not be an issue except for Gamespy's wanting beta versions for subscribers only. Since that is commercially exploiting the code, it is in violation of the sourcecode liscense agreement.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
V owns the rights to the game engine, Interplay owns rights to the media
new media == not FS, therefore Interplay can't say ****

however I doubt Interplay will even remember they own (or once owned) any rights on FS, unless we get like 2,000,000 hits a day or something and make national news, ect...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

So what if Fileplanet keeps this as a free download?  Would it still be commercial distribution?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no more than any other file they host, but then again hosting files is a busness to them
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Setekh
Nothing with the word 'Legacy' in it, if you please. :lol:

Freespace: The Lost Leg, I See. :D

Originally posted by Setekh
[q]This limited right to copy the Software expressly excludes... any give away of the Software in connection with another product or service.[/q]

That definitely excludes the Fileplanet subscribers, because they pay for that. I don't know if it excludes Fileplanet altogether.

All that means, though, is that we cannot allow GS/FP to provide the FULL GAME "ISO" (or whatever) to the FilePlanet subscribers preferentially. Nothing about the source code.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill