Author Topic: IMPORTANT: FS2 Full Install Download @ FilePlanet  (Read 24347 times)

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
IMPORTANT: FS2 Download @ FP (update 19 Nov)
Also, make sure you know what GS are going to do once they get it, cause you never know, they may **** us over
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So what about us??? Will WE, the Freespace community, that has given so much time to the game, be able to still download the new exes, as soon as they're released?

I don't think it would be fair to screw us over, and make us get everything a week or a month later. What's the situation with that? Will we still be able to download the EXEs as soon as they're released, from the HLP forum?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Of course we will. Steak already said that putting up stuff on the subscriber servers first wouldn't work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
and if they're like "you can only release builds when 'blah blah blah'" then they'll get the middle finger from us
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Exactly.

look, if gamespy ****s us up, will migrate to the VWBB, and just keep some **** here, and make it look like we're active.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Noyou just make sure you know exactly what they plan to do about every thing before you give them a single thing.

Its common sense really
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

well, you can never be to sure. and for hosting, i wouldn't mind mygrating, really.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Im a bit late, but what if the subscribers got the initial release early, but after that, the new EXEs were just released publically?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a
[glow=red]no cost noncommercial basis[/i][/u][/glow].
This limited right to copy the Software expressly excludes any copying or distribution of the Software on a commercial basis, including, without limitation, bundling the product with any other product or service and any give away of the Software in connection with another product or service.
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Indeed. Even if public users will get the downloads later, part of what the subscribers pay for is early exclusives. I am certain that this would be a breach of the copyright license.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline redmenace

we don't know if that many people are going to interested in FS2 much less FS2_OPEN or I should say the SCP.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
There will be quite a few people, methinks. There aren't all that many free space-sims available (legally :p) online.
-C

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Considering that I've seen posts from 30-40 people using the hobbled HotU version I'm sure we'd see more for a full install. And that's just posts. More people would be downloading the game but not saying anything for months if ever.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
there is way to release it legaly  but that one is very hard to cross
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 09:33:24 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
What's that, HIG?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i dig more because if i say it now it could more harm than good
so i searching more so when i say that way it's legaly fine release FS2
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 09:49:43 am by 153 »

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmm... it seems to me that what subscribers are paying for is membership of GameSpy, early access to software is a 'perk' as well as higher download speeds. I would have suspected the main problem would be if the download was only available to members on an exclusive basis, which it wouldn't be, simply earlier. I just wish there was a way we could get [V]'s opinion on this.

Flipside :D

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
just go to VWBB and make stupid thread what [V] is doing and someone answers;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm pretty sure the Subscribers thing falls under the 'packaging with another service' clause.

But all of this is irrelevant unless we find out who owns the rights. THEY will be the ones to raise a fuss. If we can find out, we should talk it over with them, and get the lowdown on all this. At the very least we may be able to convince them to re-release a white label 'bargain bin' edition, with maybe an inside-cover insert advertising the SCP, like they did with PXO on the original game box.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...