Author Topic: What are the latest versions of EVERYTHING???  (Read 22052 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What are the latest versions of EVERYTHING???
Originally posted by Starfighter
I need help with those cool looking Thruster effects I can't seem to get em to work with the 03_05_2004 verson of the FS2_Open help me! I instaled em right and everything they won't work.:confused: :(

You must tick the -jpgtga box for them to work.  Did you?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redmenace

you should use the newest launcher and the newest 3-8-04 build too. it is fairly stable. you might notice they  are fairly bright and the particle trails from damage being very bushy. they usually are not that way. personally i like em that way ;7
oh, I am not sure if you are aware of this before you ask, you cannot play the original mve movies. and you cannot play the divx versions with any build bobboua makes. You can rip and encode the movies your self.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 05:51:22 pm by 887 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Originally posted by karajorma

You must tick the -jpgtga box for them to work.  Did you?

Newest louncher .RAR file not working need help! The flies cannot be removed, i tryed damnit lol any help would be nice don't I get a breack?:confused: :(
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Do you have winRar 3 or above? Winrar 2 has problems with WinRAR3 files.

Guys, someone mentioned a page update. Bloody well do it!
Having a notice in the downloads section saying "This isn't the best place for the latest version" is just poor, seriously.

I don't think many people want to run around forums sifting through a confusing pile of conflicting information. It is not good for the popularity of this mod! You must remember that many people haven't played FS2 in years, and on finding out about FSSCP, a webpage like that just might convince them to leave it for a few more, let alone go disk hunting.
Mods these days need to ooze quality, and I imagine yours would if the website was updated and made more clear and concise (the FAQ makes no mention of the movie playback issues, for example, and nothing about installation the feature list on the website is out of date...).

I like FS2 so much that I am willing to do it for you, except I am more familiar with ASP, Javascript and XML Transformations than PHP as yet, so I would have to go read a book first.

I haven't tried your mod yet, and I haven't a clue where to get the media files yet, but I am looking forward to it and I am a FS fan. Thankyou in advance for your hard work on the mod ;)

Russki Bear

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
:welcome:

I'm literally updating the wiki as we speak to make it a definative guide on how to download and install FS2_open.

The problem is the sheer speed at which things change. The guide I'm updating was written last month and is already obsolete!

Check the link in my sig in an hour or so and tell me what you think. I desperately need feedback from someone completely new to the community to tell me if the guide could be followed by someone new. Guess what. You've just volenteered yourself ;)

Offline Cyker

(In Max voice) Oooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me!! :D

I used the old instructions to get it running before, and the improvements are also helpful (The updated flags will be very handy! I cheated because everyone told me about them yesterday 'tho :))

TBH 'tho - the trickiest part of getting SCP up and running is all the different builds. I've got like, 8 different exes now!

And Bob just released a new one too! I'm torn between using that (Which knowing my luck will blow up) or the one Lightspeed pointed me at yesterday (Which is rock solid, but very dark and seems to have no shield effects)

The thing is, I don't get which of the builds I have are official and which ones aren't - there seem to be many forks of the SCP compiled by different people!

Offline redmenace

the people that are having the most problems are newbies. the last "official build" is in the news section in the projects page. usually I update the post that is in this thread with all the new information and build and the like. However I will see if it is possible to update the download of latestebuild.exe on the main site. But the latest build is the 3/14/04 build of bobboua's.

I will talk to sticks about updates later.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 04:49:43 pm by 887 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The shield effect thingy was fixed, along with a couple of other stuff.

Kazan needs to compile a new (working) multiplayer build. Bob's new test exe has some experimental IRC code in it, as it seems - thus multiplayer doesnt work (and crashes upon entering the game room).
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
anyone other than me making builds needs to go into fs2ox.cpp in the /network folder and uncomment the rathaven define - or simply add the definition to their build settings
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline redmenace

I take it that adding the pre-processor definistion will fix this problem.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Cyker
And Bob just released a new one too! I'm torn between using that (Which knowing my luck will blow up) or the one Lightspeed pointed me at yesterday (Which is rock solid, but very dark and seems to have no shield effects)

The thing is, I don't get which of the builds I have are official and which ones aren't - there seem to be many forks of the SCP compiled by different people!

The simple answer is that none of them are official :D We're getting close to 3.6 now so everyone is busy working on fixing bugs. The result is that we get loads of releases put out but they are all very similar to each other anyway since the only differences are bug fixes.

My advice is simply use whatever you find works for now :) If you want to help swap them every once in a while and report bugs you find I'm sure the SCP programmers will be grateful.

I'm glad the revised version of the Wiki helps but as you said you've recieved help from other quarters so it's hardly an objective test.  I'll probably integrate the installing mods section as the bit about Global and Campaign Specific installs is very closely linked.

The install guide is pretty good, it resolves my beef with locating the latest versions of the various files and clear and concise instructions.

I don't consider your mod hard to install. Once you have installed the Japanese Grand Touring Championship for Sports Car GT, almost any mod installation is easy ;)

Thankyou for the reply and link, it is nice to see a forum of responsible people for a change.

Seeing as I have a good impression of the community, I will stick around :)

Russki Bear

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You didn't find it hard because you had the guide :) Believe me it was a lot harder when I first tried it :D Lots of other people have found it difficult too because as you say the files were everywhere.

I'll try to keep that page updated though since it will probably save me time in the long run :D

Offline Cyker

Have 500 Kudos points and a Large Plasma Accelerator :D

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The SCP actually isn't a mod. It's more like a patch :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Originally posted by Cyker
Have 500 Kudos points and a Large Plasma Accelerator :D

could someone post up another link to the latest Louncher? this ones not downloading right anymore.:(
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Originally posted by karajorma
http://www.randomtiger.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/freespace/Launcher4.rar

Should work. I just tried it

still not working pout it in a .zip I use powerarichiver not winrar

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Originally posted by Starfighter

still not working pout it in a .zip I use powerarichiver not winrar

winrar is just *****ware you know - you can download it and use it for eons and never have a problem
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir