Author Topic: better planets  (Read 11792 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I 'spose you could make a skybox with all the nesacary rotations
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
well i try it if i got the compile working untill the "error spawning rc.exe" error isn't fixed i can't do anything

darn....
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah Omni, it's not just the sun.  The entire lighting would have to change dynamicly, as though you were in an environment with a 30 minute day or something.  And from the perspective of Freespace, well, you're not in orbit very long.

I just think about games which do have rotation on their planets.  The Armada games do, and it looks stupid (in fact, one Earth model, not sure if it's the normal or Borg variant, rotates backwards).  Hegemonia has them too, but no one is going to call space in that game realistic-looking.  Those are the only ones that come immediately to mind.  If the planet in the background of the Halo title screen does, well it's a gas giant and that can be excused.  But rocky planets should NEVER have visable rotation from a location where the sun is fixed in the sky, and that is the only way to look at it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i figuring of doing some sort of tech demo with atmoshpheric entry and exit.  i've been swamped with homework so i doubt it gets started (or finished)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

Since you are talking about planets..

Who can get alpha transparrency working with planets and who cant? Any who cant please try this TGA planet from the first non training mission and see if it works:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/thomaswhittaker/c_code/freespace/planetf.rar

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What's Blikweite?
The planet atmosphere is similiar than the athmosphere in Imperium Galactica 2.
By the way, who could use an Earth planet in FS2? TWVP?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Solatar

Well, TVWP will need a Mars, Earth, and Luna one for sure if we use them, but I think we've got some kickass backgrounds from Lightspeed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Blikweite = (blik - view, weite - distance) = view distance
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
hehe perfect translation trashman
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
it's "der Blick" though. CK.

:)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

God bless NASA. Thanks to them, I birthed my UBER Earth!!!

It has eight 2048x2048 textures for the earth and clouds have another eight textures of same size. I'm not sure if this is an efficient way of handling textures, but using a single spherical mapped texture didn't produce the level of detail that tickled my fancy.

My only problems with this version are the texture seams and shading issues with specular. What are the best settings for auto-facet? I toyed with a number of settings which all still produce a faceting effect with the speculars. I really wanna keep the water shine.

The model is 45,000 meters in diameter as to keep it within clipping distance when far away and is composed of 2 5k poly spheres (60 sides in truespace)

Any help or suggestions for better auto-facet settings,  texture handling and seam reduction would be appreciated.

Offline J3Vr6

Is that in Freespace???  Let's see your star base next to it...
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
for that model your going to want to go full smooth, and wow that's a lot of texture space, yeah, that's gona be about a gig of video ram (just did some calculation, that number isn't mear speculation)
actualy 2 gigs for the clouds too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Really!? It was actually playable on this crappy Geforce4MX P4 2.56ghz of my uncle. Then again I did us DDS for all textures. Using JPG was a nightmare.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 10:13:11 am by 1582 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I dont like it so far. There's flicker lines in the model, and you can easily spot the texture edges.

And the oceans look really fake :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, if your useing DDS then it'll be less, a lot less, probly take up the same amount of space in your card as the file does, what's there total size
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thats why I post up screen shots here, need extra input to really make it the Earth. The specular map I used was a simple silhuette of the continents and a grey ocean. I didn't use speculars on the last model. Perhaps I should give the grey some more OOMPH.

All the DDS textures = 85mb, I'm still gonna add to the speculars, so it will get higher.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 10:12:46 am by 1582 »

Offline J3Vr6

I think it looks sweet., then again I can't see it in game.  Do the clouds move or no?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

There is a slight rotation on the clouds. I put a rotation of 500 on the POF. Its very slow, but just enough to notice motion.

I had an unconventional idea in regards to "faking" a speed boost away from the planet. It takes quite awhile just to circle the darn thing nevermind leave orbit. I was thinking about using LODS that are quite smaller than the actual model. It will obviously not be a smooth transition as you get further away, but it was just a thought.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 10:17:19 am by 1582 »