Poll

Should SCP develop a feature show demo?

Yes, it will be helpful for all modders.
16 (94.1%)
No, it would be a waste of time.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 21, 2004, 12:23:45 pm

Author Topic: Techdemo  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Zarax

What about creating an SCP techdemo, (maybe just a couple of missions) which will show all SCP features working?
The Best is Yet to Come

it seems a great idea, especially if you want to use it as a showcase of all the graph features too.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
good idea, but nobody has time to do it.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem is that most of the FREDders capable of doing this well are busy with other projects.

If there is someone with the free time to do it properly though I say go for it :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zarax

Well, once the first version has been done, future releases will need only minor adjustments, not to mention that seeing all the new features in one package will help modders in their work and serve as great beta testing platform, as people would be eager to try it every time...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline RandomTiger

I want a fredder to make a mission for testing purposes, perhaps the two things could be combined into one task.

However noone is willing to spend the time to make it.

Offline redmenace

what do we need in it? What do we want in it?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Zarax

Simply a show of the SCP features, nothing more
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by RandomTiger
I want a fredder to make a mission for testing purposes, perhaps the two things could be combined into one task.

However noone is willing to spend the time to make it.

What did you need the mission to do RT?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my mod uses most of the features in fs open, however i still dont have any good missions. i still need to get around to releasing it though.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by karajorma

What did you need the mission to do RT?

To test as much fs2_open functionality as possible and run forever. The idea being you run it in debug mode on your machine while your away and any crashes can be caught and reported.

Could double nicely as a tech demo.

Offline Karaken

I am sort of in between things. I got my cloaking to work today, but i am still new to FS2_Open. It would seem like a good idea because it would help modders show the features to other players. If you do end up doing it, i might use it for a small mod.
But a mod is beyond my experance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 04:19:16 pm by 1573 »
Fall between the cracks, Slip through the shadows, but is that mad, Or is it magic...

Offline redmenace

well lets what for the high-poly Herc, mjorin, fenris, manticore to be finished. That way we can test the HTL with high poly counts for a long period of time.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
They shouldn't really need finishing for this. They should just slot in with minimal changes.

What we really need is to simply make a mission with a bunch of invulnerable ships and let them duke it out. The only problem will be making the new SEXP's get continuous testing.

Unfortunately I have a habit of taking on more work than I can handle so I can't write this at the moment. If I get the free time later and no one has done one yet I'll give it a try.

Offline Zarax

Karajorma, if you are a FREDer and ever get some free time i'd like to send you a thing and see if you are interested...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Waste of Time.

What do we have these forums for, anyway? :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Zarax
Karajorma, if you are a FREDer and ever get some free time i'd like to send you a thing and see if you are interested...

I'm a FREDder first and anything else FS2 related a distant second. :D

If I get some free time soon I'll contact you. I'm somewhat interested in the idea of making a long running mission just to see if I can :D I've been very busy recently and I've got about 20 other FS2 commitments I've already made.

Lightspeed while the idea of a Tech demo may be a little bit of a waste of time RT's idea of a long running test of all the new stuff in FS2 can only be useful in making FS2 more stable. If we can make it look pretty at the same time why not? :D

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
a good idea is to have a core group of GTVA ships (all tagged invunerable) to repel waves of shivan attackers.  by pressing some buttons the player (would be in a camera sort of mode) can jump in the fight and start killing stuff.  Here is where you can have some sort of variation in weapons to show the player the new weapon types and effects (local SSM, fighter flak, ballistic primaries).  It would also be a demo for the set-object-position-* sexps and also the player-ai stuff for sexps.

I kinda got this idea off the intro to C&C Generals

i figure the layout for the player switching would be like

Code: [Select]

---start processsing----
-toggle hud off
-start camera positions
-display help (what each wing and weapons type will do)
-once help is over check for keypess 1,2,3,4,5, (another button to repeat help)
switch(keypress)
{
    case 1:
    {
          move player to alpha 1 (fighter wing, using fighter flak and custom corkscrews)
          toggle hud on
          move the old player ship (pegasus or something), far away and unable to get targeted.
    }
    case 2:
    {
          Beta wing (bombers with local SSM, and ballistic primaries)
          //do other stuff
    }
    case 3:
    {
          Gamma wing (intercepters: fighter beams and custom electronics)
    }
    case 4:
    {
           Delta wing (heavy assault: a gun with Pspew, shots and FOF; custom electronics missile)
    }
    case 5:
    {
           return to camera mode
           toggle hud off
           revert old player ship back to AI control
           move pegasus back into field of battle
     }
}
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 08:10:04 pm by 31 »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline redmenace

We still need pleny of the new higher poly ships not just the core of the GTVA Ships. But there should be lots of fighters and bombers. Including the anuket or what ever it is called. There must be a way for the enemies to ignore the ship that would be present. THIS WOULD BE A LONGEVITY TEST. We would only need one of these to be left to go on for hours and hours spewing to the debug file.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 08:26:56 pm by 887 »
              -Frederic Bastiat