Author Topic: New Beam effects  (Read 18584 times)

Originally posted by Krackers87
added a link to download a zip of all my glows.

You forgot to post it dude...:wtf:
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
[cough] First page [/cough]
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by karajorma

We are. It's UT who's getting the rough handling and he's been around long enough to know better :p

Gimme a break, I haven't played FS1 in...what, two, three years? :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but we were talking about FS2 :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Turambar's beams win this particular contest IMO - they look close to FS2s, but are definitely upgraded. And yes Mik, that is a good thing :).

oh yeh? well im a non conformist, so  :P
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

I like Turambar's but DaBrain's look really good while departing from the traditional freespace look.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
shall I modify the tables so you can get the new glows -and- the cool particles?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I like Turambar's beamglows too.  It was not my idea to create new ones. So I only followed his idea.

But I try to make Freespace 2 feel like an new, modern game, without loosing the freespace feeling ;)

I know some people want to have the glows look more they looked before,  but this really decreases modding possiblities. :(

Originally posted by Turambar
shall I modify the tables so you can get the new glows -and- the cool particles?

Sure, so everybody can use the effects he want.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by DaBrain

I know some people want to have the glows look more they looked before,  but this really decreases modding possiblities. :(

I disagree. I mean, there's nothing wrong with making new types of beams that use these spiky glows, but I personally don't see that as what V had in mind. These spikes could have been added relatively easily by V, perhaps in fewer colours and such like, but they could have done it, but chose not to, preferring to remain with simpler glows. I don;t see how upgrading these par ticular weapons in this particular style limits what people can do with different weapons.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I think V left the rays out, because of the colour limt.

These rays need to fade out really smooth, otherwise they look horrible.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Personally I never had any gripes with the FS2 warm-up/down beam glows. I'd think that community efforts would be better spent coming up with all sorts of beam effects themselves, with textures rippling down the beam length, etc... there's so much possibility there it's actually amazing nobody's done any (public) work in that area that I know of.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by DaBrain
I think V left the rays out, because of the colour limt.

These rays need to fade out really smooth, otherwise they look horrible.

They could have done it - same way they did it for the suns and stuff.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by Sandwich
Personally I never had any gripes with the FS2 warm-up/down beam glows. I'd think that community efforts would be better spent coming up with all sorts of beam effects themselves, with textures rippling down the beam length, etc... there's so much possibility there it's actually amazing nobody's done any (public) work in that area that I know of.

Aye...the beam glows themselves were actually pretty good for what they were. I, for one, agree with this. The standard glows are good...and well, bringing something new into the FS world that doesn't fit...well doesn't quite fit. An upgraded versions of the standard glows would be nice like Turambar's a believe. But uhh, the beams themselves should be experimented with.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Sandwich

Checked Mantis lately?

If not, notice my bug reports. ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Mantis? Is that the Bugzilla replacement thingy for you coder types? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes.  You haven't heard of it yet?  There's a sticky thread about it:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,19573.0.html

Yay 4300th post

From a glance at Mantis, using an ani for the beam doesn't seem to work.  Nevertheless, the tiling code and moving tiling code should still be working unless that's borked too.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Not registered there, and currently don't have time to. I'll do it later this afternoon... maybe. :p

(I don't like registering at places without need. :p)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
From a glance at Mantis, using an ani for the beam doesn't seem to work.  Nevertheless, the tiling code and moving tiling code should still be working unless that's borked too.

But as always - I like to wait until *everything* works properly before even bothering to start to work on something. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
As i look at the beams, i wonder where my beams have gone, the ones i made for shivan swarm :'(
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****