Author Topic: Free compiler for the FSSCP: The answer  (Read 22810 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Free compiler for the FSSCP: The answer
NOTE: These are written with the assumption you have a copy of the current CVS source files on your hard drive somewhere.

Installation instructions
1) Download and install the VC++ .NET 2003 Toolkit. This contains the compiler, linker, etc etc. If you have trouble installing it, check that you have the .NET framework installed - it's available through Windows Update. You must have Windows 2000 or XP to install it.
2) Download and install the DirectX SDK.
3) Download and install the Platform SDK (the core module); make sure you register the environment variables. (This is somewhere on the page that shows up after you download it.)
4) Download and extract Cvtres1.exe to a temp directory, then move cvtres.exe into the "bin" directory of the toolkit.
5) Download build.bat and place it in the "code" directory of fs2_open.
6) Open vcvars32.bat in a text editor, such as notepad.  Replace the three SET lines at the beginning of the file with these:
Set PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\bin;%PATH%
Set PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin;%PATH%

Set INCLUDE=C:\DXSDK\include;%INCLUDE%
Set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include\;%INCLUDE%
Set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include\win64\atl;%INCLUDE%
Set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include;%INCLUDE%

Set LIB=C:\DXSDK\lib;%LIB%
Set LIB=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\lib;%LIB%
Set LIB=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\lib;%LIB%
You may need to change the paths, but make sure all the above lines are included in some form.
8) Fire up the toolkit command line, browse to the code directory, and type in build.

Command line arguments for "build"
  • -no arguments- displays instructions
  • "all" will do a full rebuild, everything will be compiled from scratch
  • "file %filename%" compiles an individual file
  • "link" only does linking
  • "resource" only compiles resources

So if you updated irc.cpp, you'd want to enter
Code: [Select]
build file irc/irc.cpp
build link

Edits: minor changes, clarifications, etc etc.

Edit: Newest DirectX SDK for Windows 2000 (Link above updated)
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
I found a list of the DX9.0 SDK updates. Here's the latest one that supports Windows 2000 (December 2004):

Description on Microsoft Site
Direct Download (Skips Windows Validation)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:24:06 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline JarC

:yikes: won't this make fs2_open dependant on the .NET framework to be installed if redistributed? :eek2: but otherwise that is a great find :D at least something to play with without resorting to shadyware...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:01:21 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline WMCoolmon

I don't think so...
-C

Nope, you don't have to compile to .NET bytecode.  VC++ .Net is perfectly capable of compiling proper exes.

Offline JarC

cool!
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I have no idea what this means but it seems to be really good!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline JarC

What parts of the PSDK are absolutely required and which parts are optional? the new PSDK installer works likes Windows Update, so it is possible to select only the parts you really need...(hefty download otherwise)

and once compiled, is there a PXO server alternative or is this stricly a LAN build?

also, there's a 'hardcoded' path in build.bat referring to a speech sdk...do I need to download this SDK separately, change the path or just remove it...?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 03:17:24 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline WMCoolmon

Once compiled it will have the same features as fs2_open...I think there is a PXO alternative but I am not sure.

You don't need to do anything if you don't want to use the speech functions of FS2...if you do, then you'll need to install the SDK and switch it to the path where the speech SDK is installed on your computer.
-C

PXO: When Kazan run's his server again or when Inq sets his up.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Inquisitor

Which is in process ;)
No signature.

Offline WMCoolmon

CVS has been updated and should work with VC++ 7.

You'll probably have to set it to ignore libci.lib if you build it. I'm not sure what's causing this.
-C

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
build.bat file not found :p
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline WMCoolmon

Link fixed in first post. -- Goober5000
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:45:23 pm by 561 »
-C

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Thanks ;)

BTW is there a version of that file for fred2 open ?
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline WMCoolmon

Unfortunately, not at the moment...
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

The files in the CVS have been updated to work with this compiler...first post updated.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
silly me frogot to backup his old vcvars32.bat. Would anyone be kind enough to provide the original set lines?

Oh and also does anyone have a tutorial or a link to a tutorial on compiling? i'm kinda lost by looking at all the bat files, aditionaly they dont seem to work for me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 08:07:35 pm by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The tutorial is in the first post.  If you have a question, ask.

Sorry, I don't have the original .bat file (and I doubt anyone else does either).  You'll have to reinstall the Toolkit to get it back.  You shouldn't need the original, though; the new one should work fine.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Oh ok, i missed step 8, that's why i was screwing up. Anyways, noob question, but i got all my .obj files and it refuses to link, gives me problems with movie.obj, big long nasty problems about unresolved external symbols.

I also get 2 errors when compiling, one with 'xMouse.cpp', unable to locate SDL.h. And one more with 'atlbase.h'. atlbase.h is supposed to be in the win64 folder of my MS VC++ toolkit but i have no win64 dir there, the error is that it cant find 'shwapi.h', i have no idea what this has to do with atlbase (as it doesnt exist on my system). the atlbase error comes when compiling 'winmidi.cpp'.

I also get a whackload of warnings when compiling, this may be normal for an open source project like this, but i dont know.

Anyways, sorry for the noob question, i know how annoying they are, but i did search before this and nothing came up.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Make sure you have all the SDKs installed and all the SET lines configured correctly.  You might need to change the folder paths.

As for shlwapi.h (you forgot the L), download the attachment and put it in your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003/include directory.  This should also fix the atlbase.h problem.