Author Topic: Is the FPS limit removable?  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Is the FPS limit removable?
Langy: no, there really is a difference - it's in physics calculation accuracy mostly - the small the time sample the more accurate the movement

Think about Reimann Sums with low n values compared to Reimann Sums with high n values (or a Reimann Sum with an infinite N value - a integral)
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
"-no_fps_capping" will disable framerate capping - committing to CVS now

PS: I can tell the difference in the accuracy of the physics at different framerates

Offline Langy

Ahah. That actually makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, Kazan.

commit again? I am still running the update from an hour ago.......

Am i doing something wrong?

Doesn't this count as a feature BTW?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Langy

Er...
Perhaps it doesn't count as a feature because it fixes the 'bug' where the FPS is capped at 120?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
it was trivial.. 7 lines of code

your update may be frozen.. kill and retry

retrying now.....

i really, really hope this doesn't take another hour....

btw, it keeps spewing lines of code, even though silent mode is on.

and should i use "query update" (F4) or "update selected" (ctrl+u)?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ctrl+u

ok, i did that.

how long is a CVS update supposed to take?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
not long... when did you last update and what is your processor, and internet connection

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Kazan, I wouldn't just flippantly put that command-line thing in... IIRC taylor said the cap was there for a reason.  I'll PM him.

last update, this afternoon, took me 5 min or less

net conn, cable, 300KBPS down is normal if i got a fast peer.

processor: P3 800.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
goober5000: hence why i made it a command line OPTION to disable

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, I see that.  And that's better than adding it by default.  At the same time, it would be useful to know why it's that way so as to warn people using the command-line argument.

Aye, most games have a hardcap because their developers accept that machines will not be able to maintain their system best FPS very much of the time, and, to most gamers, especially those that like to push their games -- not just their machines with their games, bouncy FPS is VERY VERY noticable no matter what end of the scale you're on.

In my experience, at least.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Wow. I never knew that upping my refresh rate would help my framertes... Too bad my monitor doesn't support higher than 85hz on oddball resolutions.  (I'm stuck at 75hz for my 1152x864 rez)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

doesn't really "help your framerates" (unless you are using Vsync), but the higher the refresh rate, the more frames you are actually seeing with your eyes and the longer it will take for you to get a headache from staring at your screen...heheh...personally, I can no longer stand anything below 85Hz anymore. It BURNS! LOL

For gaming purposes, VSync rules...and yet...well...l do not understand why some hardcore gamers (not accusing anyone here, I've seen this behavior elsewhere) insist upon always uncapping the framerate for every game they play, yet have monitor refreshrates of, like, 60Hz or so, so their eyes can only SEE 60FPS out of the 300+ their Uber L337 system is producing.

there is no **** point to having a 312+ FPS if only 85-100FPS or  (85Hz or 100Hz at 1024x768) of em are visible!

of course, the real reason they do it is probably so that at lan parties they get lots of jealous people staring at their framerates *sigh*

I have noticed that setting a custom FPS cap that matches or is slightly above your screen refresh rate with a game option of some kind (e.g. the FSO Launcher's flags) seems to work better than using Vertical Sync. Dunno why, it just seems to, sometimes. Then again, I could be just imagining it...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 05:17:54 pm by 1644 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The 60 FPS limit comes from WinXP or Win2000.

On any proper OS you will have your refresh rate as a maximum FPS (V_Synch) - DO NOT TURN V-SYNCH OFF if you dont need to. It tends to create ugly lines and choppy images, and you will see absolutely no difference. Because if your FPS drop below the V_Synch limit, they will equally do so without V_Synch.

there is no **** point to having a 312+ FPS if only 85-100FPS or (85Hz or 100Hz at 1024x768) of em are visible!

... and the human only seeing 30-40 of them... :p

Wow. I never knew that upping my refresh rate would help my framertes...

It doesnt.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 05:23:05 pm by 1317 »
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Lightspeed
The 60 FPS limit comes from WinXP or Win2000.

On any proper OS you will have your refresh rate as a maximum FPS...

Wow. I never knew that upping my refresh rate would help my framertes...

It doesnt. [/B]

:wtf:
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
WinXP and Win2k limit games to 60 FPS normally, whereas Win98SE, Linux, and any other operating systems do not.

When V_Synch turned on on a 85 Hz screen mode you would have 60 FPS on Windows XP, but 85 FPS on Win 98.

However, (second line) if you only get 34-40 FPS, you will have 34-40 FPS *BOTH* on Windows XP and Win98. And since our eyes are only able to see about 30-40 images a second it actually doesnt change much. I expect no-one is running a screen mode below 40 Hz? :p
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.