Author Topic: Because the subspace thread got too big...  (Read 19792 times)

Offline mrfun

Because the subspace thread got too big...
I like it, but the texture comes out too strong on the near parts of the tunnel.  I think it should be blurred a lot more, like when you get up next to your monitor and squint.  Then all the colors mix together and you get this surreal energy look.

Yup. I would like that.  Mmm.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
it needs more... separation. the black parts need to be blacker and the blue parts bluer
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I disagree Sniper, those other shots with the higher contrast like you're saying look awful to me

Gregster: I saw the models, I didn't know they gave up on it.  I don't see where it would be a problem to be honest since there shouldn't be anything transparent anyway except maybe the top textures.  The base texture and the overall model look to be opaque to me

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
If there was a water ripple pixel shader effect in FSO, I'd say Lightspeed's idea for subspace as a dark water effect to replace the black areas in the original subspace with glare added would look great.

As it is though, I think it's a little too rough looking of an effect though his heart is in the right place with the idea.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 12:24:22 am by 72 »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Raptor

LS, don't toss that thing of beauty, you could release it as is!:nod:

I can sorta see what people mean about the 'tunnel though water' effect, but frankly, I don't see that.

Please carry on with this, don't lose heart now!:yes:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Agreed, I really like your latest piece - even if you don't think it's as good as it could be you should release it to those of us who like it!

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Turambar
I think that the black in the energy vortex needs to go away.  but ive said this already.  why do you guys think that the black needs to stay.
why do you keep insisting, if you are so deadset against black, make your own, now stop nitpicking at each other...!!!
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well,  I'm not releasing it right away because today is friday, and I have pretty much all day to work on it so... :)

Expect some updated images today - might even have a version suitable for release this evening :nod:

Now as for the comments...

I think the black spots provide a bit of enigma (I guess) to the whole thing. It gives you the impression that subsace could spit you out if it wanted to...

You're observing this from the wrong point of view. Basically, what FS2's jump drives do is create a *tunnel* through the subspace vortex - there's 'real space' inside, and it is SURROUNDED by subspace.

Its like:

So its rather that an unstable node that collapses will 'devour' any ships flying through the tunnel - The tunnel is a quite interesting phenomena as you 'penetrate' subspace with a thin tunnel of normal space you're able to fly and survive in.

This is also the explanation why you can fire guns and fly normally.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I never thought of it that way, but I suppose it makes a kind of sense!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Huh.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I like the cold 'iceness' of LS's maps, sort of lonely and lost, well if you're flying through it by yourself and not having the entire Shivan armada trying to kill you.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
What I lack from the new attempts is not exactly the black parts - it's more like seeing the actual space, or the transparency of the tunnel.

Aside that, the latest Lightspeed version is the best of what I've seen.

IMHO subspace is not in a different dimension or an another place. The best comparision I can come up with is a house - the way some people see subspace is like the attic of the house - we live on the first floor, and when I exit into subspace I climb a ladder.

I see it differently - subspace is not another level of our reality - it's in exactly the same spot as our own universe.

Instead the attic, it's the very air that surrounds us in the house except no one sees it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by JarC
why do you keep insisting, if you are so deadset against black, make your own, now stop nitpicking at each other...!!!

:nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Hmmm....interesting.

I guess the best way to visualize that for me would be the tunnel effect at an aquarium. You walk through the lobbies and the smaller galleries, then you come to a transparent glass tunnel, surrounded on the outside by water and everything in it.

If I recall, jump drives in FS open the door. Then I guess subspace acts as an accelerator and pulls you through.

Hehehe....adventures in subspace...
You're gonna carry that weight...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i thought the jump drive worked by vibrating the ship in various dimensons until the ship is in sync with subspace at which point a vortex opens.  And once I'm done with Inferno's primaries and  other effects, i will make one with NO black that looks COOLER than these and still has a properly written science-fictioney background
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
:p enough theories - We can always make a seperate topic for them.

This is what i've got right now:

I'm getting there...
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
when you look at the walls near you, its smooth, but it appears to get too rough as you look further down the walls.

Pretty good otherwise though :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Looks like the tunnel got shorter...
Could you do me a favour ? Please disable the layer with the water effect on it and take an in-game shot.

I think this is what I don't like. Because it looks pixelated near your ship. I'd like it more cloudy somehow...

BTW did you replace the outer layer with :v:'s inner layer ?
I can see noise01b clouds ;)

(Old-New)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 01:35:38 pm by 1688 »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline J3Vr6

Man that looks pretty...  I don't know how many of you guys have ever scuba dived, but it reminds me when you're at the bottom of the ocean and look up at the sun from below.

I really can't wait to see this in-game.  the only thing I can see bad is that the tunnel is gonna look oh so more pretty than the ships in it, so the ships are really gonna look out of place.

Can u make a mission with ships inside?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Well there is ONE way to get a pic with ships in it, if you don't want to wait. Load FS2 and find a mission you already have with Subspace then take the image LS made and carefully Photoshop it into the thing...

quite frankly at this point im ready to try using some PS filters to try and rip that texture off of the image itself...