Author Topic: Question from a reNoob  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Zenzic

• Nothing to See here, keep moving
Question from a reNoob
Hey,

I recently got back to playing FS2 sp campaigns (read started last night), thanks partly (well mostly) to this new Joystick i got (Saitek X-45).

Last time i play FS2 was just before they released the source code. So its been a while, and lot of things i no longer remeber, so please bear with me here.

That said, i managed to download and install version 3.6 of this FS2 Open Project.
So naturally i have a few question, and problems.
1. links for SCP media in the FS Doc//Wiki site seem to be  broke (not working for me) So i wonder where i could get those files from.  And if this MV ZPack thing is the same?

2. Have there been any changes to gameplay balance in the version  3.6? ( I ask because the i think tracking ability of Hornets seems to be a lot worse than i remeber. Used to love those Missles). If there have been gameplay changes could please redirect me to a page that lists them please.

3. In the control configuration, there are commands for Lateral Movement (x, y and z), do these work? I bound them to buttons on the joystick but it doesn't seem to do anything (move ship and such). Mind you i have had problems configuring the Stick to work with other games, But i think i managed to figure out how it works (atleast it works for I-War 2)

4. I know non standard resolutions aren't supported, but i can resist the ability to play at 1280x1024. Consequently i have noticed that somethings on the hud are not aligned properly (usually the text, lines//animations that show up when you are scaning, et al) does this problem expand to include Targeting Reticle?

5. Is the openGL implementation still buggy? I crashed once using OpenGL, but i haven't had time to try to replcate the crash. It could be because of Dual Monitors i have running. Mechwarrior 4 has issues running with Dual Monitor setup. But since i haven't had the chance to recreate it, i can't be certain.

System Spec (figure someone will ask for these)
CPU: P4 3.0Ghz with HT
RAM: 1.5 Gb
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS (latest Drivers)
Video: Geforce FX 5950 256Mb (latest drivers)
Joystick: Saitek X-45 (using Generic WinXP drivers)

Lastly Thanks to people who worked on this project, i am grateful for your effort. the Visual enhancements are quite sexy.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
1) not sure about this, but if you have the media VP you should be able to experience the full gloery of FSO

2)no, or at least none intentionaly, we have gone through quite a bit of trouble not to affect game play ballence

3)this is sort of a yes and no issue, yes they work, but the tables for the ships don't alllow for any lateral movement, exept for shivan ships. it's mostly there for mods.

4)as you yourself have pointed out non standard resolutions arn't suported yet, they were just quickly implemented to give people a taste, the HUD system is being totaly overhauled so it's just a matter of time before this gets fixed

5)OGL should, at least in 3.6, work just as good as D3D
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zenzic

thanks.

Could some one confirm my observervations with Hornets please. just so i know. I think they don't track properly. i'll test in an hour or so again.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've heard something along those lines before actually. You could be right about the hornets.

As for the lateral movements try the mission Lions Den (Dive, Dive, Dive - You know the one I mean :D ). I believe the Terran Mara still has the ability to do that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The Zpack contains everything from the seperate media VP's, and will break multi.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to HLP, Zenzic. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Zenzic

Where may i download the media VP' from?

the links to sectorfiles.com give me 404 errors or 403 errors.

And thanks for the welcome banner.

Offline Falcon

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Source for media files: fsdoc - wikki

The little label on the HLP banner.

I recommend downloading individual vp files, since your system may not be up to the challenge of handling all the files (some of them are quite outragously hard on system resources even though they offer unprecedented detail)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Zenzic

What sort of system could handle them?

as far as i can tell, my system is fairly uptodate when it comes both hardware and software.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You should be able to handle most of them, although it's still a good idea to get the individual packs since those contain the newest stuffs.

Plus you can remove individual packages if they cause too much performance loss.

It's almost a must for multiplayer, since otherwise you'll have to delete the .tbl files inside the VP to play with any of the enhancements the mVPs offer. With the individual packs you can just move speffects to a mod directory.
-C