Author Topic: The HUD  (Read 11331 times)

Offline Solatar

Place them by % of screen instead of by pixel? (if that's what you're doing now?) or scale them?

I still play in lo-res...I enjoy slightly higher framerates.:)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Fix the problem where the target data displayed next to the target (that thing activated by the -targetinfo flag or whatever it is), where it will override the alternate name and display the table designated name regardless.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Fix the problem where the target data displayed next to the target (that thing activated by the -targetinfo flag or whatever it is), where it will override the alternate name and display the table designated name regardless.

I think it's fixed. Are you using 3.6.5?
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
HUD code has always confused me, so you may have already answered this but can we define new HUD guages and insert strings into them with sexps yet?

My ideal example is a very simple one - an altimeter.

every-time
 - Return-HUD-Guage
 - - Altimeter
 - get position y
 - - Alpha 1

Or whatever.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If everything works right, once a Custom HUD item is defined in hud_gauges.tbl, you'd use something like this:

every-time
- hud-set-gauge
-- "Altimeter"
-- get-position-y
----Alpha 1
-C

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
3d cockpit or not, it'd be cool if there were different "styles" of Hud that differed from ship to ship according to either ship class, age, or current tech research levels.. like, well
FS1 era: solid single-color huds
FS2 era: multicolored Hud
beyond: Holography glowy HUD

you get my point anyway.

pity we can't also have a HUD startup sequence, as if you've just switched on main power and the ship's systems are booting up.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Or a hud flicker-on-hit.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by aldo_14
Or a hud flicker-on-hit.

that's sorta already there, the EMP effect. but yeah, a slight HUD flicker when the ship takes a hit would be a tad more useful than a red screen on hit.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Mmh, I still think it would be cool to have the HUD trail like in Iwar, makes dogfights easier, since you can follow your target and know what it's doing ( about ) even if it goes out of the screen, which counterbalances the fact you don't have padlock to actually follow it with your eyes.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Solution for nuke; I only used primaries in these screenies but they'll work for secondaries as well.

Oooh...neato.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i still want my k-12 style gunsight.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
I like those new ammo gauges, but I think they'd look better if they looked like the original energy bar, ie. the curved one that follows the reticle edges. Looking very cool, though. :yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, as it is they unballance the center of the HUD too much.  And I'm not opposed to having the name where it's always been, just place the ammo reserves in the same place as the energy bar.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lynx

Tey're good as they are, keep them that way.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Nico
Mmh, I still think it would be cool to have the HUD trail like in Iwar, makes dogfights easier, since you can follow your target and know what it's doing ( about ) even if it goes out of the screen, which counterbalances the fact you don't have padlock to actually follow it with your eyes.

well i already did the orb, which is about 1/3 the awesome IW2 targeting code.  another hot thing in space games is a target list ala IW2 and FL
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah, definitively. And the possibility to switch on/off names directly on screen ( when turned on, all the stuff on screen is like targeted, with its name next to it. Would be very handy, no need to go through the whole target list to find which cargo is C-27, you know, the one you have to scan :p ).
Pah, all that really makes me wanna play again, but I have a radeon, and I want specular to work first, so voila :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
cat 4.4 :p

Unless it's a radeon 9200, in which case, you're boned :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nico

• Venom
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lynx

Do you still take suggestions?

If so, would it be possible to make HUD gauges use a standard 256 color palette with black as transparency color?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by Raa
Unless it's a radeon 9200, in which case, you're boned :p

Or an X800, because the 4.4 drivers don't support them.