Author Topic: about cockpits...  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Mav

Just a dumb idea... but would it be possible to assign all those HUD elements as textures of some faces of that cockpit submodel thats now possible? (I mean, with that animated texture things I heard somewhere) :confused:
If so, we would esentially have complete 3D-cockpits, and only thing left for them would be a smooth rotation of the eyepoint  (like in X / X2) when you want to look to the sides or back... This effect really did a great job for immersion in X / X2 :) .

So, would it be possible - one way or another?
(and yes, I know that you coders have a lot of other things to do - I didn't request to make it top priority, did I?)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well i think one of the coders said ani based gauges *could* work. however i would imagine it would be an htl nightmare seeing as youd need an ani for each gauge (htl texture limits). or the engine could be set up to use dx9's render to texture feature.

an idea i had was to use some sort of projection system to essentially set up modeled blank 3d displays, and somehow project bounding coordinates onto the hud to define the 4 corners of the gauge, which would be scaled/skewed/whatever and sorta look 3d. but thats a long shot.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline -Norbert-

In FS2 the HUD is most probably projected inside the helmet of the pilot (why else all the cables from the helm to the ship seen in FS1 intro).
So it would make sense, that the cockpit has buttons but no displays apart from the Radar.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we currently don't have the low level code requiered to do this, though that doesn't mean it couldn't be done, but it would requier a _lot_ of work, though we will be doing most of that work anyway sooner or later.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Dare we say it?

Padlock mode!

Offline Mav

Originally posted by Pnakotus
Dare we say it?

Padlock mode!

Uhm... what does that mean? :confused:

@-Norbert-:
Please also think about TC's - for WCS it might be a nice feature.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Search is A-1 Super. This thread is necrotic.  A lot of this was already discussed.

Padlock is when you view follows a locked enemy and you see the cocpit the help you orient the ship.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Mav

Sorry for not using search. Had been so little here in the past I never got to use it. Will try to do so next time. Again, sorry.

And about that padlock - I wouldn't like it, but then most here's optional so I wouldn't have to use it (hopefully).
What I'd like would (as I stated above) be something like in X / X2 , where you really seem to move "your" head to look around.

And 3D cockpits (i.e. with HUD implemented; one way or another) would even be nice without this.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I could've sworn aldo had a screenie of something like that happening (Looking around as if you were in the cockpit, rather than suffering a massive spasm when you press the padlock key.)
-C

Offline Mav

Wasn't that a screenie from another game, just to illustrate the idea?
(btw. - would be great if not... :) )
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Mav

These pics really are from FS? :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

What build is this feature in?
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That was just the usual INS and the already exiting side views - though things recently did take off in this direction, not to mention that Aldo DID BUILD a cockpit.

AFAIK the short clipping seems to be problematic though, cutting off the model too soon making it hover in chunks.

Instead padlock merly being able to look around freely - as in Flashpoint or a Flightsim - will be a Godsend for several new gameplay elements.
-Independantly aimable gun mounts (like MW3)
-Newtonian battle
-Ships with high side/rear thrust readings.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

Pretty much any recent build.

Just add the "show ship" flag to a ship (works exceptionally well with Bobb's newest Hercules) and start a mission flying it. It should be pretty obvious if it's in the build or not once you start the mission.
-C

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im having clipping problems as well, i kinda had to move the eyepoint a little lower  to compensate but there is still some obvious clipping.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

I'll have a build for you guys to test in a couple minutes.
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

-C

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yorokonde :)
SCREW CANON!