Author Topic: about cockpits...  (Read 12172 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its plug-in player model, bob's the closest so i guess he gets the cookie (just dont ask what its made with).

optimally the player model woundt be rendered, which is how they got away with it in cfs3. see if you place the eye point in front of the players model's eyes, you will be able to see everything correctly when looking in the forward 180 degree field. if you look behind that  all you will see is your pilot's ugly face. perhaps set it up to use different eyepoints for different views. pofs seem to support multiple eye points so no model format changes are neccisary.  id like to see some fancyer view options anyway, padlock view, view panning, turret view, missile view, and so on.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Flaser
We don't have true freelook yet - you should be able to look around and look behind your back through your shoulder.

One could argue that a real fighter pilot can't look behind him :p. I'm think having the free look limited to only an angle is not a bad thing, in fact, coz, for exemple with padlock, imagine following a dragon, he goes around you, above you, behind you, and, in the end, you don't know where your ship is facing anymore. Happened to me a lot in EF2000 :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
that really debends on the cockpit design. the lightning in cfs2/3 has awesome rear visibility :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah, but no matter what, I don't think the pilot can turn around on his seat, with the belt fastened and all :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
in WWII you could, modern flight gear is rather restrictive i think, though in a space craft i dont see any reason to overly restrict the pilot.  of course pilots tend to have good periferal vision, so youd only have to turn your head 45-90 degrees or so to see whats behnd you.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Not really. I have this video of some F-15s doing some live-fire missile practice and mock dogfighting. Pilot didn't seem to have any trouble looking behind him at all.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Checking your six is essential for aerial awerness and in turn survival - they don't turn their heads all the way back, but just as in a car you steer your nech roughly 45-55 degrees and use your eyeballs to look sideways.

BTW - getting lost - that's why I recomended a setable fov for zoomign with a greater field of view it is easier to keep your orientation in the cockpit. Beside that cockpits have scanlines on the top - or you could incorporate ones into your design - to help the pilot orient.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
mmh... amways thouhgt the best way would be a dim reflection of the cockpit's inside above the pilot, in fact :p

Anyway, all in all, you'll never be able to look back, coze you'll have the seat in your way, and you can't look above your shoulder like in real life.

Bah, anyway, for now, I wanna see the independent cockpit pof and the padlock view done :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ever looked at the FS2 persona ani's?
You'll see that FS2 pilot's can't see behind them, as the canopy ends far above their head.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:nod: you have a point. the cool thing that could be done is when you look up, left, and right you see the end of the canopy.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i've added the flags, selected the build, done everything, BUT I AM STILL GETTING NO COCKPIT!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
are you flying a fighter with a cockpit built into the ship model?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
... i don't know where to find one.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
lol, find bobs HTL herc and try with that.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by TrashMan
Ever looked at the FS2 persona ani's?
You'll see that FS2 pilot's can't see behind them, as the canopy ends far above their head.

The anis have been done with the apollo cockpit. There's obviously some ships ( actually, all the terran FS ships, as far as I can tell ) won't let you look behid you because of the way they're designed. In a ship like the seth, you should be able to look behind you.
SCREW CANON!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Cobra
:nod: you have a point. the cool thing that could be done is when you look up, left, and right you see the end of the canopy.

Play with Nico's Ezechiel, you'll find if you look behind you all you see is the wall. :p
-C

Offline Nico

• Venom
The ezechiel viewxpoint is not set for cockpit view at all anyway, and will never be, coz there's a couple screwy polys in the cockpit, and it just looks bad ( and, of course, it's right in front, you just can't miss them :p ). See my point about having separate pofs being easier to make and more efficient? ;)
SCREW CANON!

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i never even heard of the ezechiel. *prepares to get the crap beaten out of him*

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
*beats crap out of Cobra*
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Deepblue
lol, find bobs HTL herc and try with that.

you mean this one?

[EDIT] Stop it! I bruise easily! :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 08:57:52 pm by 2299 »