Author Topic: what I was doing over the break (materials)  (Read 29245 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what I was doing over the break (materials)
i hope it will allow script based animations. if it does you could in theory use them for cockpit gauges. you would just need a good imagination and the ability to access variables that the hud gauges use.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 02:44:27 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It'd be better to just make a flexible variable system that could be used for both gauges and the texture system, it'd be less convoluted to do things and probably more efficient as well. It would probably have to be hooked into the materials system (so you could choose whether the gauge would use a glowmap/shinemap)

Actually it'd be nice if we could work it into the animation system so we could do truly 3d knobs and dials and such.

It's not like we don't have render-to-texture for D3D...
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
we have render to texture now? :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well... we do...
you, as of now, don't. there is no access to it to any modder yet, exept environment mapping wich was modified to use the new system.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Bobboau
the end result will be something like that, this is how those effects will be implemented, not accessed.

So lazy people can just use pre-defined materials? :)

Looks like this is going to become one of best features ever.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
exactly, in fact I am guessing that most people will simply use the predefined materials, on top of everything else this makes all rendering effects much more organised and even a little faster than they currently are.

tangent:
I am realiseing that I will need to add suport for texture transformations, be they static (scaleing texture coordanants, for easy multi-textureing) or dynamic (panning textures, and environment mapping needs a changeing texture transformation)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
You know this is some awesome work, don't you? ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes, I am aware of this. :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
so will we be able to include math functions and have access to game variables in our material scripts?

my idea is that you would have one control panel matieal with the scripted subsections for each gauge. then you can configure your panel simply through creative uv mapping, using the same material for all ships. you could aslo hav vasudan panels and shivan panels or a different panel material for each ship. and you can do stuff beyond panels, like making the glowie spots on the ship change collor as the engine output changes, or have your weapons light up when their armed. i would have fun with that, at least once i learn your scripting system.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you'll have access to game variables (at least untill we move to DX9 you'll only be permitted one variable per pass), but I'm not sure how much mathematical action I'm going to code. surely when we get the shader suport you'll have all sorts of math you can through at stuff (if hardware suports shaders) but with the states I don't know if I can get that effecent enough to make it worth while.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline WMCoolmon

I would love to get some sort of simple-to-use variable system in - my draft is somewhere in the SCP internal - but I've gone through three revisions, at least, and still haven't got a 100% working version. (The last major revision didn't take arrays into account very well)
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Bobboau
you'll have access to game variables (at least untill we move to DX9 you'll only be permitted one variable per pass), but I'm not sure how much mathematical action I'm going to code. surely when we get the shader suport you'll have all sorts of math you can through at stuff (if hardware suports shaders) but with the states I don't know if I can get that effecent enough to make it worth while.

we dont need much maths, just basic operations and maybe a couple trig functions, maybey some logic functions. i dont see the one var per pass to be a big limit unless theres a big slowdown as you use more passes. just give us the tools and im sure you will see some awesome effects by us modders.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
theres a big slowdown as you use more passes.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
so how many passes do you think it could hande?

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

As few as possible please.

Right now we're talking <5 with shinemaps/glowmaps/envmapping, in general, I think - unless there's more than 16 lights affecting the object.

AFAIK you can have as many passes as you like, though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 03:57:47 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
8> lights = 3
8> lights <16 = 5

on hardware that can handel 8 lights

most materials should have one or maybe two passes.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline WMCoolmon

When taking animated textures into account, would it be possible to set the FPS and rotation type (Once, repeat, bounce) and whether to fade between frames?

What I'm thinking of are things like runway lights, where you really just need to fade between light set A being on to light set B being on. With the current system you'd have to make a massive animated glowmap. This would allow the same thing with just two frames and gradual alpha adjustment.

It might also work for Lightspeed's animated Shivan ship textures, and fading between frames would work well for when time compression is used to slow things down.
-C

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Not to mention some cool cloacking effects - I'm talking about Ordos esque masquarade of pirate/black ops ships.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you can do liniar interpolation between two textures easily.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well....... less posting, more coding!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist