Author Topic: 3.6.7 RELEASE  (Read 38168 times)

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Is there some reason why my FPS in nebula missions would have dropped by 2/3 under 3.6.7 as opposed to 3.6.5?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try it in OGL mode
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline CaptJosh

I've noticed a framerate drop there too, even in OpenGL, though perhaps not as severe. I suspect that a framerate drop was there in retail as well. It's likely a matter of the sheer amount of stuff on screen.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Originally posted by Bobboau
try it in OGL mode

Problem mostly fixed.

Offline redmenace

The actual issue is being looked at. I believe it is related to the texture batcher IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Sort of, but not really.  You'll notice that there wasn't a FSO 3.6.6, but there were MVPs for that version.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by High Max
I'm eagerly awaiting the media vps. Is this the first time that a new official version of FSO has been released without the vps being released at the same time or before it?

No, the first Fs2_open version was 3.1, but the mediaVPs weren't started 'til 3.5. ;) I wonder how long ago that was...

I figured in the true spirit of 3.6.7 I'd miss a couple of deadlines before releasing them. :p No, actually, I'm waiting for some files from DB on the new effect he's working on.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You may want to put it off until VA releases his HTL Lucifer, and possibly the TC-TRI.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

For some reason, I'm not getting any shield effects in 3.6.7.  Will this be fixed when the new media vps are released?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
do you have mv_effects and/or mv_adveffects?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Originally posted by Cobra
do you have mv_effects and/or mv_adveffects?

Yeah, I have both of those.  The shields worked just fine in 3.6.5, but for some reason the music didn't work.  Now with 3.6.7, using the same VPs, the music works, but the shields don't. :confused:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Have you turned off jpg/tga textures? I'd have expected other things to have vanished too but that could account for your problems.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I've tried it with and without jpg/tga textures enabled.  When the shots hit the shields, it still shows the dissipation effects of the shots, but the shield doesn't appear.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by NeoBasilisk
For some reason, I'm not getting any shield effects in 3.6.7.  Will this be fixed when the new media vps are released?

Is anyone else getting this also?  I know that the shield effect was broken, and I fixed that, but it was the same day that WMC released 3.6.7 and I don't think it was included.  The fix is in the Linux and OS X releases I know but the Windows version of 3.6.7 is likely missing it.

I was just a simple math error so there's nothing to do about it but grab a newer build, or use Linux/OS X.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I thought I noticed something strange about shield impacts.  I'm experiencing the same issue in 3.6.7.  Guess I'll have to take a look at one of the many CVS builds floating around. :)

So, which build should I use then?

@ Taylor.  Yeah, I'm getting no shield effects as well.  I thought I was just imagining it until you guys brought it up here.  I'm using the 3.6.6 .vp's and build 3.6.7with the FS Port mod.

Is everyone getting this artifact, or is it just a few of us?  For reference sake, I'm using OGL @ 1024 resolution on a GeForce 6600.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by NeoBasilisk
So, which build should I use then?

Try and get one from the 20th since it would be nearly identical to 3.6.7 but have the shield fix plus my other small performance/bug fixes for OpenGL.

Everyone should be getting the shield problem, or just not noticing that it isn't working right.

Can you point out a specific one that you're talking about?  There are so many builds that I get kind of confused. :blah:

Offline redmenace

Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat