Author Topic: OpenGL Extension error  (Read 7085 times)

Offline zank

OpenGL Extension error
Hi, I'm from BTRL and I've been having issues launching the game. I've been told to post here, I'll probably get a faster response. I have searched the forums here, but found little help. Rather than reexplain my issue, I'll just quote myself :)

Hi Guys, I'm experiencing a bug that is driving me crazy.

I ran BSG yesterday a couple times, it ran BEAUTIFULLY, SPECTACULARLY.... This morning I start spinning it up and... boom:

Code:

Error: The required OpenGL extension 'ˆïo' is not supported by your current driver version or graphics card. You can either use the Direct3D rendering engine (non-FRED builds only) or update your video card drivers.

File:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9\code\graphics\gropenglextension.cpp
Line: 392
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been through several reinstalls (OpenAL as suggested and all of BTRL), couple reboots, vid card drivers reinstall, searching the seas of the internet for solutions.....

OpenGL works, I tested it with CS:S, my vid card settings for GL Extensions is off (tested it with on and then back to off, no diff). Anyone have any suggestions?

Something to note is that I played yesterday with the sound options set to my sound card (Sound Blaster 2 Audigy....) and it ran fine, today the option was there at first, but has since disappeared so I've left it on Generic Software.

One more thing, If I keep hitting OK on the error Dialogs (more errors pop up) but eventually BTRL launches, with an invisible mouse and most of the screen black. I can sorta move the mouse to select options, but again everything is completely corrupted.

Help? Suggestions? Thanks for at least reading

--Zank
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3549

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated! :)

--Zank

Offline zank

Re: OpenGL Extension error
No one has a clue? :(

-Zank

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Your extension list is truncated, there is nothing that we can do to get around that.  It's either your driver settings that's doing it (though you said you made sure it was off) or your driver install is corrupted.  My only suggestion is to make sure that you have the newest available (non-beta) drivers downloaded and ready to install, completely uninstall your current drivers and reboot your computer, then install the new drivers.  If it still doesn't work after that then let me know.

Offline zank

:-/

Already done that.

I had 93.81 (beta drivers) and it ran fine day one. Next day it didn't run, so after much trouble shooting I decided to get stable drivers. Uninstall 93.81, reboot. Install 93.71, reboot. Ans here I am. Where is this "extension list"? I'd like to take a knife to it.... lol

So done all that. I even created an nvidia profile to force it to set extensions to off, nothing.

Extensions are off, at least that's what my control panel TELLS me.....

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The extension limit (it's the limit, not "extensions" as a whole) should be off in the drivers.  Also make sure that you don't have a profile setup for the game that makes it turn the extension limit on (which is genernally how such a thing would be used anyway).

It's obvious from all of your posts so far that the extension limit is enabled, or the drivers (and/or reg entries for the video settings) are totally corrupt.  It's got to be one of the two.

Offline zank

That's what I would assume as well, that the limit is on somewhere, but this literally happened overnight. Worked with 93.81, next day didn't work with 93.81, didn't work period with 93.71. Hmmmm

Perhaps I'm stupid and looking in the wrong spots? Perhaps when my vid card says "extension limit" it really is say "burger king rul3z"? I don't know, I need to get my eyes checked I guess. See attached.

--Zank

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
When you uninstall & reboot, does Windows auto-install its own drivers, or do you prevent that from happening?  I always hit "Cancel" when it asks to connect to the Internet & search for drivers...

Offline zank

It does ask to install it's own drivers, but naturally I cancel it and install nVidia's drivers instead.

Thanks for the tip though :)

I'm really sad :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
After playing with things a bit, and various google searches, this would appear to be some issue with the last couple of driver versions.  What I assume happened is that the beta drivers you installed set a reg setting wrong, it didn't get reset, and the stable drivers are still using it.  I'm trying to figure out what to tell you to do, so give me another hour or two and I'll see what I can find out.

EDIT:
(Note, I haven't tried this myself, so these instructions may not be 100% accurate)
Ok, go to www.nhancer.com and download the latest version.  Run it, go to the compatibility tab and make sure that "Driver extension limit" is not checked.  If it is already not checked then check it, apply the changes, then uncheck it and apply again.  See if that helps.  If not then enable "Driver extension limit" and put 2048 (or 800, if it requires hex) as the number in the box (if the default number is less than that anyway).  See if that helps at all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:26:58 pm by taylor »

I only want to mention something:
OpenGL works, I tested it with CS:S
CS:S (Counter-Strike: Source) doesn't run with OpenGL! It runs with D3D.
The "old" Counter-Strike up to 1.6 can run in both D3D and OpenGL. If you want to test OpenGL, do it with "old" Half-Life (1)-Games or (for example) games with Quake-Engines.

And BTW: Since I bought my new 7600GS, OpenGL-Games won't run at all under Windows :(
The ForceWare drivers need SSE for OpenGL 2.0 and my CPU doesn't have SSE-Support (old AMD Athlon Thunderbird) :(
But under Linux OpenGL works just fine :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
or (for example) games with Quake-Engines.
http://tremulous.net <-It's good!  (96 MB download)

Offline zank

Taylor, it didn't help :(
I tried a similar approach yesterday, using RivaTunner. I hate Windows Vista >_< . Because of Vista, nVidia's engineers are spending all their time put drivers updates for Vista, while the XP one stays nearly 1/2 year old :(

I had issues working with nHancer, since it would not let me check or uncheck it from the global profile, not sure why. I had to create a new profile for the fs2 exe and fool around with extensions there (off, launch: nope, on launch: nope, on with 800, launch: nope, on with 2400, launch: nope....)

Suggestions? :'(

Mr. Maniac: O_O

I SWEAR that I remember changing CS:S to OpenGL when I first got it. Have I deceived myself this entire time? I can't believe it! Lol thanks I ....swear.....

Heh the old Thunderbird :) I still use mine as a linux server, sweet machine, never died, never will :) (it survived a power surge that fried the mobo! like charcoaled the mobo! Hells yeah for AMD :) )

Offline zank

Just an addition, I'm incredibly frustrated (I usually don't ask for help on boards unless I just can't....figure...it out. I'm stumped cause I've tried everything that SHOULD work) and am read to hack apart the Registry, writing in random values to random keys :)

I've opened up the registry, found the right location, and I can affirm that nHancer is working, cause when I put in a value for extension limit (it is in hex, but the extension limit check box remains grayed and ticked) it is updated in the registry. So the limit is there, and is a fairly large number (hell, how many extensions can fs2 have? the string can't be THAT big.... lol :P )

Also, I may have forgotten to mention that it runs decently under D3D mode. Also, as an alternative, I'm considering slapping OpenGL in the face, and joining the team as lead D3D coder (seeing as you guys don't have one :P). I'm learning DirectX9 atm, and if I see that I have time and it is a feasible job, I'll join :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I've opened up the registry, found the right location, and I can affirm that nHancer is working, cause when I put in a value for extension limit (it is in hex, but the extension limit check box remains grayed and ticked) it is updated in the registry. So the limit is there, and is a fairly large number (hell, how many extensions can fs2 have? the string can't be THAT big.... lol :P )
FSO doesn't have any extensions, the problem is just what your drivers are reporting.

From the output of "OpenGL Extension Viewer" that you posted to the GW forums it's obvious that FSO isn't even remotely an issue here.  It's listing practically no extension support.  When the extension viewer gives a sane report then FSO should work fine as well.  This is going to affect any and all OpenGL applications you run which use any extensions though, so you might as well fix it now.

The only real suggestion that I have left is to do a driver uninstall again, reboot, and then edit the registry.

Make sure to delete the following keys (they might be gone already, but verify that):
"HKLM\Software\NVIDIA Corporation"
"HKCU\Software\NVIDIA Corporation"
"HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\nv"
"HKLM\System\ControlSet002\Services\nv"

And make sure that this file is gone:
C:\Windows\System32\nvapps.xml

Then re-install the drivers and see if that does anything different in the extension viewer.

Also, I may have forgotten to mention that it runs decently under D3D mode. Also, as an alternative, I'm considering slapping OpenGL in the face, and joining the team as lead D3D coder (seeing as you guys don't have one :P). I'm learning DirectX9 atm, and if I see that I have time and it is a feasible job, I'll join :)
You have nothing to compare it to though. ;)  The D3D code is absolute crap, so if you think it's running well for you then you are just lucky.

But, we certainly aren't going to turn anyone away that wants to take over the D3D coding job.  There is already a list of issues which need to be fixed with the current code (PM me if you want info on that).  Send us some patches and lets see if we can't get it back up and going again. :)

Offline zank

I'm lucky eh? D3D runs but not OpenGL? :D lol

I keep hearing that the D3D code is crap. I'm thinking, would it be better in that case to scrap the code for the most part and start from scratch?

I'm uninstalling and rebooting now. Thank for your help Taylor, hopefully it goes through. I really appreciate your time.

--Zank

Offline zank

Ok I have a problem: I can't delete HKLM\soft\nvidia. Reason being I have other software in there. see screenie. Do I delete just nForce? It has network stuff there though (I uninstalled the nVidia networking app though a day or two back). If need be I can back up the nvi corp reg dir and send em to you. Otherwise I do not believe I have anything to delete here. The same argument goes for HKCU. Nothing under the control sets to delete, except there is "nv4_min" which I believe is somewhat related to graphics...

There is nv4_disp.dll (it says something about win2K display drivers 93.71 in properties though) and I believe a slew of somewhat related vid card files. There are no xml files whatsoever in my sys32 folder (neither the file you mentioned).

So I've basically only uninstalled and rebooted thus far. Haven't deleted anything (as I don't believe I have to). Awaiting your next post :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I keep hearing that the D3D code is crap. I'm thinking, would it be better in that case to scrap the code for the most part and start from scratch?
It's more of a time-and-energy issue.  The code is crap, and really just needs to be scrapped and started from scratch.   But that is a good bit of work and will likely take a couple of months to do.  There are various things which simply need to be fixed in the current code and then we could probably go back to having D3D enabled in the builds, assuming that it gets past testers ok.  It is multi API though, so it's possible to fix the DX8 code, and then develop and test DX9 code in parallel.

Ok I have a problem: I can't delete HKLM\soft\nvidia. Reason being I have other software in there. see screenie. Do I delete just nForce? It has network stuff there though (I uninstalled the nVidia networking app though a day or two back). If need be I can back up the nvi corp reg dir and send em to you. Otherwise I do not believe I have anything to delete here. The same argument goes for HKCU. Nothing under the control sets to delete, except there is "nv4_min" which I believe is somewhat related to graphics...
Ok, I think that would be fine.  Nothing in there looks like the driver stuff that I know about so it should be safe to leave everything else.

There is nv4_disp.dll (it says something about win2K display drivers 93.71 in properties though) and I believe a slew of somewhat related vid card files. There are no xml files whatsoever in my sys32 folder (neither the file you mentioned).
That file in particular probably doesn't need to be there after you've uninstalled.  I wouldn't recommend deleting it though, just moving it some place safe for the time being.  If you happen to have anything with "ogl" in the name, and starting with "nv", you'll want to move that out of the way as well.

Offline zank

installed and rebooted (just a note, I'm using the same exe for the drivers that I downloaded in Dec '06. It extracts stuff to a folder in C:\Nvidia, which I deleted and let it extract stuff from new). The OpenSL Extensions Viewer doesn't seem to spit out much different that what it did before. Should I ourput it here? Or should I try fs2 first?

Well... Whatever happens there, it's not good...
OpenGL seems to be broken...
But I don't know exactly where it can break like this...
Could it be the OpenGL32.dll from Windows?

Well... A few questions:
What did you do the day before it stopped working?
And what did you do before you noticed that it wasn't working anymore?

And don't say "nothing"  ;)

Did you install/uninstall something? What programs did you run? Did you delete any files? Move any files? Kicking your PC? Did you anger the gods of gaming?

Offline zank

thing, no. :D

I honestly can't remember, but I doubt I could have done much (although I obviously did I guess). I stopped playing around 11PM, probably check email and then went straight to bed. Next morning fire up my comp. I was like "Oh boy oh boy!" (Dexter's voice :D) and tried to run Beyond the Red Line. Then..... I might have cried...? :D

it was nearly the last thing i did and the first thing i did on the subsequent night.

Opengl32.dll is in the sys32 folder, looked for last modified date which is earlier today (when I rerereinstalled by vid drivers?) Want to compare size of file? lol Or should I start poking it apart with a debugger? :-/

Again, I haven't launched Fs2 yet. I'm waiting on taylor's go ahead or further instructions.

Kick my PC?! Blasphemy! I can't hurt my baby! Anger the gods of Gaming? I dunno... I considered playing CS:S instead of BTRL..... In the end I DID play CS:S cause BTRL didn't work lol. I've been trying to think all week what I might have changed... I can't..... think..... grrrr :-/