Author Topic: What kind of new things are there going to be in 3.6.10?  (Read 20544 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: What kind of new things are there going to be in 3.6.10?
HP pavillion runs 1024x768 on widescreen screen and it isn't noticeably distorted - It looks great!

- One thing for 3.6.11/3.7 - Hardwire in smartshaders as a new tab or something. not just HDRish but weird ones like the old TV signal one. It wouldn't add much to gameplay but at least people wouldn't have to go running all over looking for smartshaders. It would be cool, too. :bump:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Don't forget to fix the "hull_is_repaired_but_ship_still_spews_smoke" issue

One more thing - don't know where to put this in Mantis or if it even should be there - FRED is giving me trouble.
I do something in it, close it and I can't start half the other programs on my Pc..why? FRED process is still running..So I have to kill it's process...after that everything works normal.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That used to be a problem with old FRED builds.. what FRED are you using? 3.6.9?  If so, it looks like that problem is back again.  :|

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yup...3.6.9. ...But I havn't seen this problem before..It started happening about a month ago...

Offline Kaine

apparently the projection issue that cuases the busted targeting brackets, etc, will probably not be fixed till 3.7
Hopefully for 3.6.11 actually, but that just depends on how much time I have available to work on it.  It's the same basic bug that screws up the death scene and in-game cutscenes, so it is a pretty major issue overall.

I actually get the culling issue in-game, not just during the death scene. My monitor also doesn't support hardware or software fixed aspect scaling, i've tried it with at least 3 different NVidia cards (6800gt, 7800GTX, 7950GT) i just get total screen corruption. Could I get a command line switch to tweak the culling distance? it actually irritates me more than the bracketting problem (which i get in 4:3 windowed resolutions too, btw)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
with D3D going bye bye (YAY!) that means we (and i mean we.. i hope to learn how to be a much of an OpenGL wizard as taylor) can implement OpenGL 3.0 when it comes out later in the year :D
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
with D3D going bye bye (YAY!) that means we (and i mean we.. i hope to learn how to be a much of an OpenGL wizard as taylor) can implement OpenGL 3.0 when it comes out later in the year :D

... OpenGL 3.0 is coming out this year? Oh damn. I guess means i'll get more homework this year.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
... OpenGL 3.0 is coming out this year? Oh damn. I guess means i'll get more homework this year.

:wtf: More homework?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
OpenGL 3.0 is codename Mount Evans - scheduled for October 2007

it's features will be available via extensions in OpenGL Long's Peak (2.X) [sometime soon - this summer]

Post-3.0 release all previous versions will be deprecated but available - no new functionality will be added to deprecated versions.

3.0 includes geometry instances, geometry shaders, texture buffer objects, and a major shift to the way openGL works (that shift is occuring in Long's Peak but will not be complete until Mount Evans)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:56:49 am by Kazan »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
New in OpenGL. M$ inspired silly code names.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
MS wasn't the first group to do them, and i'm fairly sure openGL did them before MS existed.. just most people didn't know the code names because the commonite didn't discuss upcoming versions of openGL because there was no reason to - openGL hasn't gone through the level of fundamental change in LP and ME - EVER.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Both 2D and 3D are set for a 4:3 ratio, not just the interface stuff.  It takes fundamental changes to frame rendering and view setup to fix this.  Not to mention fixes to FOV and culling.

Getting proper widescreen support is neither an easy nor quick task, which is why it hasn't been fixed yet.  I'm already in the process of restructuring the rendering system to actually allow us to fix it, but that's going to take time (ETA is hopefully for 3.6.11, at the end of the year).

Would it be possible to at least get an option to allow fullscreen on 16:9 and 16:10 monitors by "letterboxing" around a 1024x768 game view? I know it's a kludgey fix, but I haven't been able to play FSO in the six months since I got my widescreen LCD, and I need my fix... :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Both 2D and 3D are set for a 4:3 ratio, not just the interface stuff.  It takes fundamental changes to frame rendering and view setup to fix this.  Not to mention fixes to FOV and culling.

Getting proper widescreen support is neither an easy nor quick task, which is why it hasn't been fixed yet.  I'm already in the process of restructuring the rendering system to actually allow us to fix it, but that's going to take time (ETA is hopefully for 3.6.11, at the end of the year).

Would it be possible to at least get an option to allow fullscreen on 16:9 and 16:10 monitors by "letterboxing" around a 1024x768 game view? I know it's a kludgey fix, but I haven't been able to play FSO in the six months since I got my widescreen LCD, and I need my fix... :P

Just select 1024x768 in the "Video" tab...   S'what I do...

:wtf: More homework?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'm in a games programming course, atm, we're cover bone animation in Advanced ComGraph. We're also learning Python. And we're supposed to be learning DX next year, but i've started a bit on my own this year.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

What should you fix in 3.6.10?

Get rid of all those pointless FRED error messages like "Player ship has no secondaries". Have an option to disable all SCP error messages, as it's annoying to click through 10 error messages only to see that your mission runs fine. Get rid of all those Volition "quality control" features that are no longer needed. For example, you're not allowed to commit to a mission if "player ship has no weapons". This may have been useful to Volition playtesters, but at this point it's unnecessary.

In other words, it'd be helpful if FreeSpace didn't have so many error messages, or at least an option to disable the most common. Sounds like a lot to do, but as far as I can see it's just a matter of deleting extra pieces of code.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
For example, you're not allowed to commit to a mission if "player ship has no weapons". This may have been useful to Volition playtesters, but at this point it's unnecessary.

:wtf:

Why not?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cause sometimes those error messages are needed.

That said I do like the idea of being able to set a warning level like you can with a compiler. If you set it to high warning level you get all the complaints. If you set it to low you only get the "You've ****ed up your mission. Commence ripping out your hair now" type errors.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Don't forget to fix the "hull_is_repaired_but_ship_still_spews_smoke" issue

I have to say this again since this bug is there (and I've bene pointing at it) from the first build that had the abiltiy to repair hull...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Is the bug in Mantis?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]