Author Topic: SCP troubles  (Read 25123 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Did a clean install of XP with 169.21. Ran Tureys installer. So, everything clean.

Grabbed latest XT build. Only four ships are screwed-ish up. (This is with normal mapping enabled, but with the nm_test.vp not yet installed):

Herc Mark II
Myrmidon
Serapis
Aten

All four show funcky-fresh texturing even under default settings. Might the problem with the texture more be a fault of models and not necessarily the engine or drivers? Granted, driver revisions always break something, but what if it broke something by fixing something nobody ever knew was broken in the first place?

I've ran both the 169.21 Beta and WHQL with the exact same results. Other than the texturing, it all looks and runs perfectly.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
I posted in this thread before but ARSPR wanted me to post here instead, I also get the checkerd ships and I use the new 169.25 Official drivers for Vista 32-bit.
Still dosent seem to work, and by the way the "no_glsl" flag you simply input as "no_glsl" in the custom flag field in the launcher right????
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I posted in this thread before but ARSPR wanted me to post here instead, I also get the checkerd ships and I use the new 169.25 Official drivers for Vista 32-bit.
Still dosent seem to work, and by the way the "no_glsl" flag you simply input as "no_glsl" in the custom flag field in the launcher right????

Several comments:
  • GLSL (shaders) rendering is only present in newest beta builds. As example this one, although it's a bit old and it's not really going to become 3.6.10. Official 3.6.9. doesn't have GLSL so it isn't going to run fine, (it's like disabling GLSL in newest builds).
  • 169.21 and 169.25 should work fine with a GLSL capable build and GPU. Or at least you will be the very first one with troubles...
  • All the flags are typed with a - before. So it's -no_glsl, not no_glsl. Instead of typing it you can tick it in Troubleshot flag group IIRC. Something like "Disable GLSL". (I'm not in my PC so I don't have FSOpen available right now). BUT you always need a GLSL capable build in order to disable it  ;). GLSL >> it should render fine; no GLSL >> chess board, (or maybe zebra stripes), effect.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:47:59 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Ok fixed it with the new build everything seems to work now so thank you. maybe you should make an anouncement or a sticky or something it seems to me that this is something that alot of people will ask about.
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Nx

Did a clean install of XP with 169.21. Ran Tureys installer. So, everything clean.

Grabbed latest XT build. Only four ships are screwed-ish up. (This is with normal mapping enabled, but with the nm_test.vp not yet installed):

Herc Mark II
Myrmidon
Serapis
Aten

All four show funcky-fresh texturing even under default settings. Might the problem with the texture more be a fault of models and not necessarily the engine or drivers? Granted, driver revisions always break something, but what if it broke something by fixing something nobody ever knew was broken in the first place?

I've ran both the 169.21 Beta and WHQL with the exact same results. Other than the texturing, it all looks and runs perfectly.

For me, the Herc 2 is fine except in the targeting box. (169.25 and 3.6.10-20071028 on Vista64 and 8800gt)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
For me, the Herc 2 is fine except in the targeting box. (169.25 and 3.6.10-20071028 on Vista64 and 8800gt)

Although it's a resource waste, try forcing LOD0 in target window (by default LOD1 is used).

Use the next WhatEverNameYouWant-shp.tbm file placed in MediaVPS\data\tables folder:

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Hercules Mark II
+nocreate
$POF target LOD: 0

#End

Nevertheless, I get good rendering even in target window  :confused: :confused: (Vista 32 bit + 8800 GTX + 169.25)

EDITED ------

OTOH your screen is distorted because FS2 is designed to work with a 4:3 resolution aspect ratio. I also have a 1680x1050 monitor but I use:
  • Standard 1280 x 960.

OR

• I've enabled a custom 1400 x 1050 x 32 bit x 60 Hz through RivaTuner utility >> Custom display modes / refresh rate wizard.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:52:41 am by ARSPR »
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Nx

Although it's a resource waste, try forcing LOD0 in target window (by default LOD1 is used).

Use the next WhatEverNameYouWant-shp.tbm file placed in MediaVPS\data\tables folder:

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Hercules Mark II
+nocreate
$POF target LOD: 0

#End

Nevertheless, I get good rendering even in target window  :confused: :confused: (Vista 32 bit + 8800 GTX + 169.25)

That fixes it. But if I set detail to low, none of the lods in the main view look bad.

Wait a second... I deleted the tbm file and now it's fixed...  :wtf:

Ok, I figured it out: I start the mission, Herc2 in targeting box has zebra textures. I set model detail to 3 "lights" (4 and 5 have the zebra textures), and it's ok. I set it back to 5 lights, and it's still fine... And I don't see any change in the targeting box model

EDIT: yeah, i know about the distortion. Doesn't bother me now, since I don't play, just test. Widescreen has a bug though, the targeting boxes and all that stuff is incorrectly placed

EDIT2: I took that with 1680x1050, there shouldn't be any distortion there
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:58:04 am by Nx »
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
ForceWare mysteries...

I've got all my detail settings at maximum.

Nx, in case you haven't read it, please check my edited former post comments about your resolution.

Ah, and remember to set your ForceWare settings so NO SCALING is applied when displaying a resolution smaller than your LCD capabilities.

Offline Nx

ForceWare mysteries...

I've got all my detail settings at maximum.

Nx, in case you haven't read it, please check my edited former post comments about your resolution.

Ah, and remember to set your ForceWare settings so NO SCALING is applied when displaying a resolution smaller than your LCD capabilities.

Try setting them to minimum, going back to the game, then back to maximum. That's what fixes it form me
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken