Author Topic: 3.6.10 Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Now Available!  (Read 52776 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: 3.6.10 Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Now Available!
Glide is _supposed_ to contradict FS2 physics, that's the whole point.  Allowing you to keep traveling in one direction, use directional thrust, apply AB to speed up, etc.  Actually I have no idea how afterburner should work once in glide, I mean what if you're not facing straight ahead?  Does it make you go faster along the line you're moving?  That makes 0 sense.  But using it like a thruster would be kind of odd too.  Either way, right now glide means you get free afterburner if you had it down already, and it should stay that way.  But accelerating for no reason is a bug.  Match speed should not cause that, and neither should throttle changes, in fact throttle should pretty much be ignored in glide altogether.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Havner

I just checked 3.6.9, Chief is right, it let you hold AB speed without AB. Glide, hold AB for few secs, release, you keed AB speed. Didn't know that at that time and yes, it seems strange for me as well, here I need to agree with Goober. Let's keep newtonian physics out of here cause we all know we'd be accelerating infintely (as we got inifite fuel :-)).

For me the most logical behaviour would be adding speed vectors when changing direction during glide and applying throttle/AB, but let you achieve AB speed only with AB turned on, otherwise normal ship speed would be maximum. It contradicts newtonian all the way, but whole SCP does that anyway. Leaving it as it is/was (maybe but WCS but you can always make a flag) for me is little bit cheaty. I've caught myself exploiting that in TBP to fly significantly faster to some target in straight line, it's exactly like infinite AB fuel.

As to the second issue, accelerating without throttle/AB with match speed, as we all agreed it's buggy maybe some fast fix for RC3? That would at least give back 3.6.9 behaviour. Eventual glide revamp could follow later (3.6.10+).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:35:23 pm by Havner »
Need a linux launcher? Check here.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I need to agree with Goober.

Thank goodness I don't have to. :)

Let's keep newtonian physics out of here cause we all know we'd be accelerating infintely (as we got inifite fuel.

Let's just keep it as it is and make any changes optional. Has anybody considered such an option?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let's just keep it as it is and make any changes optional. Has anybody considered such an option?

Diaspora has. And we're in complete agreement with you that any changes to glide (with the exception of fixing the obvious throttle bug) should be optional.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks for backing me up on this one. I hope that we won't end up with the same mess as with callsign feature. :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not a problem, We're probably closer than WCS to a release so changes to like that would be an even bigger problem for us as we'd have much less time to recover from them.

For us it is no matter of time, it is a matter of total break. We have to have WC3 behavior.. if that is taken out we cannot recover from it. If that was the case we'd only have one possibility... open our own branch and compile our own exe.
It's as simple as that... making any significant changes to glide NOT-optional WILL break Saga. I can't understand why anyone discussed what Glide behavior is "RIGHT" when Glide is a feature that was specifically written for Saga. If anyone wants a different behavior, go ahead, but don't touch stuff that was written for Saga as it is.
That's like changing our Javelin missile type or the auto-aiming feature. Any change in any of those features which change the behavior will simply break the MOD.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What I mean is that if anyone breaks it we'd have less time than with callsign to put it back. In other words if someone breaks it I'm reverting their changes immediately and they can fix it at their leisure.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Alright, I just wrote a post on my glide tweaks thread that addresses a lot of the issues discussed here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,62235.msg1231354.html#msg1231354

The TLDR version is that the tweaks I'm planning shouldn't interfere with any existing mods, and should make sure that WCS works the way it wants. Match speed is indeed bugged in glide mode and we should probably just turn it off for now, and the throttle control is a trickier issue. On one hand, it makes sense to allow gradated amounts of forward thrust in glide mode via the throttle mechanism. On the other hand, it also makes sense to have the throttle either disabled during glide mode or still setting "target speed." Maybe an AI Profiles option to control this?

And if there are any changes WRT Glide that need to be made NOW, I can help with that too. I've gotten pretty familiar with that section of code, so if you want me to do anything there, let me know. :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Written for Saga or not, the 3.6.9 behavior has already been used by one released mod, and is probably what's been planning on being used by another mod that will likely be out before WCS.  We have to take those into consideration just as much.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Which 3.6.9 behavior? I'm a bit confused by this. Aren't both WCS and TBP using 3.6.9? Yet one allows thrust while gliding, and the other does not.

Also, could you please be specific about which mods you are talking about? :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
TBP doesn't use 3.6.9 official. It uses a special version which BtRL also used which mimics the behaviour in 3.6.10.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, as kara said, WCS used 3.6.9 official, which should be the default behaviour in the future.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
OK. WCS Behavior is "official" and will be the default. So let it be written, so let it be done. :)

Offline Pizzi1

I have tried to remove all media vp but I continue to see slowdowns when enemy has arrived, somene can help me to resolve this problem or it is a bug of this current release candidate....
For now i am using 3.6.9 in this realease all works ok with no slowdowns

my older post here:
hi, i am new on this forum ...yesterday i have tested this release candidate and i have seen slowdowns in same mission like "the great hunt(a nebula mission in freespace 2)" with the newest "media vp 3.6.10". There is a severe drop of fps  to 20 - 30 too
In the past i have used 3.6.9 official release and there are not slowdowns and the performance was ok.
Someone can explain me why there are so few fps?
I have a athlon 7750, geforce 8600 with 256m on board and 4G Ram.

ps i have seen this problem/bugs in many mission of main freespace campain

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
pizz where is your first post?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Buried on page 2 of this Thread.

Anyway, Pizzi: In the Launcher, under "Features", select "Troubleshoot". Mark the checkbox named "Disable GLSL", and try it again.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I would actually like to see stuff like cutting the engines not slowing you down. Newtonian physics in Freespace 2 is pretty cool imho, even if they might cause some aberrational behaviour once in a while.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Completely the wrong thread to ask for that. :p This thread is for bug reports. Not feature requests.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:21:06 am by karajorma »

Offline Pizzi1

Thx "The E"  :P disabling shader support now this rc2 run much better for me and i can re-add some Mediavp.. but i can see again some problem near suns or nebulas background.
Usually, i use for my test a mission named "exodus of force" ,it is the first mission of aeon affairs campaign, this mission is good for a test performance. :P
ah i have tried too a inferno build "Inferno20080525" and i have seen no problem in performance, all work well and i can not see any slowdown near nebula or suns background like the 3.6.9 version.