Author Topic: 3.6.10 Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Now Available!  (Read 29911 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Re: 3.6.10 Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Now Available!
=
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:51:14 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No. Just the fixes from before the nightlies started up again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
where are we with this build ? i have not found any show stopping problems personally in this build , both normal and inf ...;; has any one else found any?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is no one still reproducing the chat crash now?  It seemed there were a couple of people who had reverted back to RC2 because of something like that.  Not sure what the status of that is.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Not sure about that aicode line, but the hud line is a nice catch.  The 6>4 overflow will only happen if the mission only contains one player wing, and that wing contains six ships.  That almost never happens, but it is still possible.  (And it might become more common in the future if the interface art is upgraded for six ships.)

Fixed in both 3.6.10 and trunk. :)
+1 point for the openSUSE automatic test tools...
I'm not much of a SVN guy, but it seems the patch only ended in trunk. The patch is in revision 5325 and the web interface says fs2_open_3_6_10 tag still is at 5210.
Between, I found another buffer overflow when using FSPort, it is reported in mantis. Since openSUSE packages are built with extra runtime overflow detection by policy this is a showstopper for us. So, I would be easier for openSUSE is this overflow is also fixed for 3.6.10.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Sound Issue.

In either "Generic Software" or "SB X-Fi Audio [9C00], it does not retain the volume level for effects.

I have to go in to options (which graphically shows the last setting) and re-adjust it.

And "Generic Software" sound fuzzy/muted just a tad.

Win7 64bit, it may just be me.

Retail CD install, Retail Patched. With or without adjustments in FSO Launcher (Mods, other settings, etc).
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Echelon9

Another good find RedDwarf.

I'm going to compile an OS X build with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 and put it through its paces (Xcode is built on the GCC compiler like openSUSE).

We always knew a codebase as old as FS2_Open's was going to have many such coding mistakes, as a hangover from the insecure coding practices of the 90's. There's been a recent influx of devs with the coding experience and the inclination to find and fix these bugs, so the next few months should see big improvements.

I wonder if any of these were turning up in the preFAST logs - there were upwards of 1300 warnings that I was going through by hand!
I'll run it over the latest trunk and see what turns up (I'll post another log in preFAST output)
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Echelon9

There's just so many.

Sigh. I get all motivated to fix them (or at least make a dent in the total number). And then I run a profiling tool, and the output has one thousand plus hits.
And then I lose all motivation, because I don't know where to start.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Is no one still reproducing the chat crash now?  It seemed there were a couple of people who had reverted back to RC2 because of something like that.  Not sure what the status of that is.

chat crash in game or in the lobby , i haven't seen either ...

or haven't been in game where it has happened..
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
+1 point for the openSUSE automatic test tools...
I'm not much of a SVN guy, but it seems the patch only ended in trunk. The patch is in revision 5325 and the web interface says fs2_open_3_6_10 tag still is at 5210.
Between, I found another buffer overflow when using FSPort, it is reported in mantis. Since openSUSE packages are built with extra runtime overflow detection by policy this is a showstopper for us. So, I would be easier for openSUSE is this overflow is also fixed for 3.6.10.
Well, the six-ship wing bug is definitely patched in 3.6.10.  It may have a different revision number because more stuff has been committed to trunk since then.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The tag hasn't been updated anyway, I'd look at the 3.6.10 branch.  We'll be making a new tag from it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

The tag hasn't been updated anyway, I'd look at the 3.6.10 branch.  We'll be making a new tag from it.
Tag vs branch, true. Someday I should learn to use SVN...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Mantis 1940 just added.

Affects all RC's and Nightlies since RC, and I have no idea how far back it goes.

I could have caught this sooner, but I never use FRED. I decided to make sure of my mission changes by using FRED since it errors faster than loading the game up.

**Edit: This can be ignored. The limit works as intended. Just had to re-work the mission.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:19:48 am by Zacam »
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
When I try to host a game, it loads the missions, but freezes and the game crashes once "ip banning list" pops up. Same problem with RC2. Any thoughts?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I had that exact same problem with TBP.  Turned out it didn't like me having 13 missions named the same thing.  3.6.11 doesn't have the issue.  I'd suggest checking your mission directory for unnecessary duplicates of missions. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

For some reason I find a massive performance increase in the way of less stuttering over RC2 on a stresstest mission I made. No bugs that aren't related to my sloppy FREDing and tabling so far.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I've found that even Massive Battle is not the slideshow it used to be. Now when I get up close to a ship, I have a sense of speed that wasn't there before.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of a bug, fs_open versions till 3.6.9. (included) apply tbms in direct priority order, from the highest priority to the lowest one. In this way, the lowest priority entries override the rest. As example, this issue makes impossible overriding mediavps tbm settings from any tbm inside a main mod which uses this art enhancement as a secondary mod. The only way you have is overriding the whole table as explained below.

Is this still an issue we need to be concerned with, or does the section above the NOTE apply?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:12:57 pm by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Technically, yeah, until 3.6.10 is final, and even then, TBP still officially uses 3.6.9 and thus is affected by that as well.  It may no longer be extremely important, but it's still worth a mention.