Author Topic: Requested Changes to Existing FS2 Source  (Read 30822 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Requested Changes to Existing FS2 Source
another point in my wishlist:

there may be sometimes ships that aren't studied for carrying missles, but in multiplayer i wasn't able to make a melee start if all the players don't carry a secondary weapon, is possible to cut the secondary weapon requirment?

Why the hell wouldn't you want to carry missiles?

Originally posted by KARMA
another point in my wishlist:

there may be sometimes ships that aren't studied for carrying missles, but in multiplayer i wasn't able to make a melee start if all the players don't carry a secondary weapon, is possible to cut the secondary weapon requirment?

There is no requirement that players have any secondary weapons -- or any weapons at all, for that matter. It won't crash. Just set the mission such that each fighter has no secondary weapons, and insure that there are no secondary weapons in the weapons pool.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##

because it's more fun w/o missiles.
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##

Missiles are for people who can't aim. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by _argv[-1]

There is no requirement that players have any secondary weapons -- or any weapons at all, for that matter. It won't crash. Just set the mission such that each fighter has no secondary weapons, and insure that there are no secondary weapons in the weapons pool.

There seems to be a requirement for the ships to have a secondary slot though. Even if it's empty. :)
Not having the $SBank entries in the table entry screws up the parser.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Originally posted by EdrickV

There seems to be a requirement for the ships to have a secondary slot though. Even if it's empty. :)
Not having the $SBank entries in the table entry screws up the parser.

Code: [Select]

$Allowed SBanks: ()
$Allowed Dogfight SBanks: ()
$Default SBanks: ()
$SBank Capacity: ()

And yes, I've tested this. If you've ever piloted a big ship (cruiser, etc), you may have noticed that you had no weapons at all, but FS2 still ran without a hitch. Now look at what's in the TBL for those big ships... Notice how they have a configuration as above (except that they don't have the dogfight stuff, but fighters need that).

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
i must admit that i haven't still played a lot with fred (i'm relatively new to this community), so it may be that i did something wrong, simply when i create the multiplayer melee fred2 gives me an error if i leave blank the secondary weapon bank, the melee starts anyway in single player, but in multiplayer won't start untile all the players sets the secondary weapon

oh, and yes, melees are much funnyer w/o missles:p (XVT rulez)

It is a poor pilot who can't evade missiles. I much prefer play with missiles. With missiles it makes it so it more interesting since:

a) When you play around objects, you can evade by ducking behind just in time.

b) If someone chases you you get to try and avoid aspect locks.

c) It takes more skill to be able to avoid missiles with minimal counter measures.

EDIT: Though I will say its generally better if the more powerful missiles are excluded (the really good seekers like tornado's and interceptors are hard to lose - rockeyes and hornets make a better game)

i must admit that i haven't still played a lot with fred (i'm relatively new to this community), so it may be that i did something wrong, simply when i create the multiplayer melee fred2 gives me an error if i leave blank the secondary weapon bank, the melee starts anyway in single player, but in multiplayer won't start untile all the players sets the secondary weapon

oh, and yes, melees are much funnyer w/o missles:p (XVT rulez)

What happens if you leave the banks empty and don't have any secondary missiles available for usage?  (in the Team Loadout Editor).

And to second your opinion - XvT meles are the best space sim meles in existence (and lasers only is a must) - but FS/FS2 has MUCH better coop/TvT Mission fights.  (-:  And in FS2, primary-only isn't quite such a necessary thing as play is balanced a bit more.  (Nothing in FS2 that's annoying like some punk X-Wing pilot who takes out a good T/I pilot with splash damage from an evaded Adv. Conc. Missile - we have shields in FS2 - use 'em.  [grin])

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
ehh:) i like xvt so much that i still play sometimes xvt in WOW's and with friends too:), but its hard to have a balanced mutifighter melee..that's why generally we play all with the same craft

btw, about the team loadout, it is exactly what i do, actually i can't remember right but if i'm not wrong when i save the mission it says that there is an error for some ships doesn't have secondary weapons, but you still can save.
In single player, then, the mission starts anyway, but in multi you can't play until you set the secondary weapon loadout...if i'm not wrong...still have to check it better

cya

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just thought of a cool Idea, a teleport type deal, you would have to arange it with sExps but you activate it in game, this way you could press the alt-j and insted of ending the mission it runs you through the subspace effect with a little more flash then bam you're in an entierly diferent part of the level, you could have a mission with several smaller battels going on and you could chose to stay at the one you'r in or go and defend some target elseware, ever wanted to go chaseing after those escaped fighters, well if the mission designer choses to let you you can

we could also do a variation of this to simulate atmosphereic entry, you get close enough to a planet it triggers you to go into atmopher mode, you're veiw is blinded for a few seconds, then you find you'reself a few mile above the surface,  you would need to start out fairly close to the planet though, or you could warp there,

this whole point is basicly to integrate several missions together into one
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Have you read the thread, Bob?  I could be wrong - but it looks like your comments have already been covered and discussed at some length.  Not that bringing them up again is bad...  (-:

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
well, my idea was to do an inflight tansition for atmospheric reintry like it was a nebula with different densities only it'll only get so dense before it becomes clear again to simulate a cloud layer (nebulas: outer most is the least dense, gets denser sa you go further).

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well this topic is five pages long...
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Another suggestion : add the french language option (it's already in the tables), the french keyboard (not that @|##[{{# U.K keyboard), and the emphasized characters support :D
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by Bobboau
I just thought of a cool Idea, a teleport type deal, you would have to arange it with sExps but you activate it in game, this way you could press the alt-j and insted of ending the mission it runs you through the subspace effect with a little more flash then bam you're in an entierly diferent part of the level, you could have a mission with several smaller battels going on and you could chose to stay at the one you'r in or go and defend some target elseware, ever wanted to go chaseing after those escaped fighters, well if the mission designer choses to let you you can

we could also do a variation of this to simulate atmosphereic entry, you get close enough to a planet it triggers you to go into atmopher mode, you're veiw is blinded for a few seconds, then you find you'reself a few mile above the surface,  you would need to start out fairly close to the planet though, or you could warp there,

this whole point is basicly to integrate several missions together into one

I think the within misison teleport thing is possible, but would require some major coding. I don't think it would be that cool a feature. (And missions like you described would be hard to explain from an in character point of view. If you were in the army, assigned to guard something, and ran off to fight someone somewhere else you'd probably be in hot water with your superiors.) As far as multi-path missions, they are possible by creative uses of SEXPs. I'm sure you could build a campaign where you actually choose, through in mission decisions, what side you are on which would determine what missions you'd fly. And without editing the source code.

As far as the atmosphere thing, I don't think that would be feasable as explained. The planet model(s) would have to be loaded into the space mission and if done in a bubble world style it would not look right.) Now a Red Alert thing, that could work. (Where the "planet" mission is in a different mission file.) My opinions on how you could do planetary missions are stated elsewhere.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
RIPPLE FIRE

I loved this in the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. Instead of all your primaries firing at once, have them fire in rapid rotation.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
two other things

1-(but this is more related to converters than to game engine):
to have hyeracy editing after converting:
imagine to have LOD0 and LOD1 converted separately to pof
it think it would be very useful to have the possibility to "unify" them generating a hyeracy between already converted pofs.
(it would be much more useful to have the ability also to create a turret as a separate pof and to add it to the main pof, but i know there will be much more problems related to this, since you will have to set orientation, position, etc)

2- to have a "game generated" insigna, something like star wars games or homeworld, where the "colors" of some areas  of your ship changes according to the squadron you belong to

Note: To understand that post, replace 'hyeracy' with 'hierarchy'. Damn fobs. :mad:

two other things

1-(but this is more related to converters than to game engine):
to have hyeracy editing after converting:
imagine to have LOD0 and LOD1 converted separately to pof
it think it would be very useful to have the possibility to "unify" them generating a hyeracy between already converted pofs.

The POF format needs not change for that. All you need for that is an editor that takes in several separate models and uses each model for each LOD level. I imagine that's probably done already.

(it would be much more useful to have the ability also to create a turret as a separate pof and to add it to the main pof, but i know there will be much more problems related to this, since you will have to set orientation, position, etc)

It's called a subobject. Unless I'm mistaken, that's already done.

2- to have a "game generated" insigna, something like star wars games or homeworld, where the "colors" of some areas  of your ship changes according to the squadron you belong to

In other words, retexturing the entire ship, a la the 'skin' support most modern FPS games do. That would require some changes to FS2 itself, since it has to be told where to get the new texmap from, and probably scale it down for the low-res textures.

If you want to be really fancy, you could also composite another texture (with alpha compositing!) over the squadron-specific texture. This way, some things look the same (cockpit canopy glass), while some areas can be retextured, but the custom texture is altered (grooves between metal panels). Some areas can be completely retextured. Sort of like painting your ship for real -- some things you can't paint (like the holes in the missile racks, the cockpit canopy glass, etc), some things will make your paint job look a little different (grooves between metal panels), and some things are completely paintable.

Of course, the best way to do this is to have a *NG texture loader, since *NG provides all this wonderful alpha compositing stuff already. All you have to do is take the base (custom, squadron/player/whatever specific) texture for the ship, and composite the built-in texture (always there, has textures for cockpit canopy glass, etc) over it. Voila, you have really freakin' COOL looking ships! :cool: :D ;7