Author Topic: List your improvements here  (Read 5014 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
List your improvements here
What have people done to the source code so far? Post them here, maybe include some files so that one version can be made with all the improvements added :nod:
Please don't post comments or anything else off-topic. If you want to make a comment about a mod, post it in the forum, not in this topic :nod:
-C

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Command briefing animation bug where it doesn't detect keyframes.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hangars, transforming ships, more effects.
Also, more FRED 2 SEXPs (such as "begin animation")

1. alot more of EVERYTHING!
2. more animated ship parts.
3. SUPPORT! SUPPORT! SUPPORT! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! WERE GOING TO BE THE HALF LIFE OF SPACE COMBAT SIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. more support!
5. hangers...........SUPPORT!
6. better shield harmonics
7. movable hoses (like in the gayenmede), the hoves are like drifting (like in HL, the pendilum fuction)
8. daveb and kaazan build the "freespace forever engine"

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
multiply and screen transparency instead of just screen. (for smoke, or dark matter lasers)
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Aside from the AI (the first thing on my wishlist :D), it would be nice if the game automatically detected modified tables and data files based on the currently-selected campaign and used that when playing any of the campaign missions. ;)

oh by the way
9. give delta 1 some burn (let him win a round or 2!)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Carl
multiply and screen transparency instead of just screen. (for smoke, or dark matter lasers)

Hahah, that's an Adobe-ification...

It's called Addition, pilot... that, or inverse of multiply... but addition is what FS2 does. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
ehhh, it is not a wish list, it is what you have done to the source-code "THAT WORKS", so far. There is another thread on "wishes" /  "requested" else where here

Anyway here is what I have done so far. Keep in mind I like extremes.

Tripled combined max ships to 600 in FS2.exe and FRED2 (actually FRED2 only had a MAX of 100, don’t worry, no more U: R: A Moron stuff either.

Tripled Combined max subsystems to 2100 as a result of that or else FRED2 and FS2.exe will crash upon ship entry (fighters only) #139, Max subsystems (combined) was 700, that was the reason. It is now increased to 2100 ("tripled").

FRED2 now crashes on ship entry number approx #405, but note, that is when the numbers of subsystems on all ships combined exceeds 2100, properly should increase it to something extreme like 700*6=4200, since I increased FRED2 limit to 600, (six times the original setting). So 4200/600 = 7 subsystems averaged pr ship. I assume people understands the reason for limits today and are able to put restrictions on them-self when creating missions with this utility.

More cap ships means less combined ships.

Have not touched maximum subsystems pr ship yet, since i simply cannot see any reason for any ship to have above 99 subsystems.

Maybe i will fix that if somebody can give me a really really good reason for it, other than the "I want the DEADSTAR with Guns all over in SCALE 1:1" reason.

Increased max_shield_icons to 80, that means apart from the 33 original icons you now have 47 free ones. 40 extra`s shield icons.

These are easy modifications as they only requires a number or some numbers dependant on each other to be changed.

Looking at adding insignias to cap-ships. "Name plating", without having them in
player’ Squadron.

Actually played around with a new species entry, Ancients or something similar
But got some icon.tbl parsing errors on that one, so I discarded it and will look at it later.

New Light and stuff, will also be added later, if I`m able to do it, remember I`m no expert on this c++, I learn as I make mistakes and false assumptions, and when the light dawns on my head I start wall banging with this very head. :D.

Note, I just played a mission, but it was a mission made by the original FRED2.exe, it crashed when I hit ALT-J in game. Maybe it is that Parallax error Avenger referred too. Dunno. Maybe it was because of the new settings, or maybe something else. Dunno looking at it, as I did not have Debug running at the time.

But for starters it works until u press ALT-J in multiplayer, have not tested Single yet.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Whoa... quite a list... :D

Offline Carl

• Render artist
i need someone to make it so the engine glows are rendered twice as big so i can make a decent new glow.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
FS2 is pretty good the way it is and I don't know enough about the little ticky things about the engine to comment, but one thing that I would like to see someday would be large scale damage effects on capital ships.  Like when a TSlash or a BRed really creams another ship have the impact point glow or something.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
geo-modding is good for that.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Geo-modding is way out of our reach for now. ;)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Animated textures would be the best shot for something like that. They could glow white-hot and then cool down to be a black patch or something, covering the texture below (that way, 1 ani can apply to all ships if it doesn't have to integrate the maps below).

But I have no idea how hard that is.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Kellan
Animated textures would be the best shot for something like that. They could glow white-hot and then cool down to be a black patch or something, covering the texture below (that way, 1 ani can apply to all ships if it doesn't have to integrate the maps below).

Hmmm... actually, we already have some animations in the FS2 VPs that could fulfill that position. :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I got fighter beams to work

damn I sure am proud of my ability to write a simple for loop :D
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Well, it's the results that matter ;)

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Originally posted by Kellan

Particle systems/particle age?  Take a look at...damn.

do a google search for PETER WATJE, his particle systems for MAX come with the source, so it might be relatively easy to splice it in (with his permission of course), or do some derivative work off it.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Carl
i need someone to make it so the engine glows are rendered twice as big so i can make a decent new glow.

what? just double the radius in PCS.
SCREW CANON!