Author Topic: ANI File Formats  (Read 14722 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i'm just saying. if size is any concern at all, i find it doesnt get any better with the quality/size ratio than x264. (well, its not so apparent on short anims and such, but on anything beyond 30-60 seconds or so, it starts to show it power
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I don't think we have any problems using .ANI for 99% of the interface art we currently use ANI for.

to go off on another tangent here, can we get a container format for eff for that 99%, so we can upgrade the indexed color icons to 32bit color icons, and do it without littering the interface directory with effs. perhaps a container with the eff contents as the header. this of course has nothing to do with ogg support.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just go with what we have already in the code. No reason to bulk it up if what we have works.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
i'm just saying. if size is any concern at all, i find it doesnt get any better with the quality/size ratio than x264. (well, its not so apparent on short anims and such, but on anything beyond 30-60 seconds or so, it starts to show it power

One problem: There is no h264 implementation that is licence-compatible to FSO.

I don't think we have any problems using .ANI for 99% of the interface art we currently use ANI for.

to go off on another tangent here, can we get a container format for eff for that 99%, so we can upgrade the indexed color icons to 32bit color icons, and do it without littering the interface directory with effs. perhaps a container with the eff contents as the header. this of course has nothing to do with ogg support.

No.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

No.

That is not helpful at all...  :doubt:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The reason is that I think the last thing FSO needs at this point is a new proprietary format.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Agreed.

So.. how bout that .ogg support for cb_anims?  :nervous:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

One problem: There is no h264 implementation that is licence-compatible to FSO.

Good point there.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is actually the best long-term solution (provided that it is actually a container format, not an EFF which is nothing of the sort).  And again, this is an enhancement that has been on the SCP to-do list for a long time.

So.. how bout that .ogg support for cb_anims?  :nervous:
I'm not a graphics coder so take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect it would be rather difficult.  The current OGG movie player is designed to play full-screen or on a window, and not to be composited on top of some other interface art.  By the time you spent the effort required to hack together a modified OGG player, you could have already finished the new container format.

And keep in mind, as karajorma said, that you can already play an OGG movie as a full-screen substitute for a command briefing.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, you can play an ogg as a replacement for a CB. What you can't do, however, is to go back and forth between CB stages that way.

And really, a new container format? In the end, that would mean that we'd need a new content creation tool as well. While that might not be difficult to produce, I have to ask if it is really a good idea when we could just as well use a standardized format that can be produced using standard tools and converters that are already freely available.

One problem that a container similar to ani has (which, for those who do not know, is basically a container for a series of pcx files with the individual headers stripped off) is that there is no real video compression going on. As the use of png-based effs proves, these files can become prohibitively large (even anis have that problem; mjn can provide the data here). ogg theora, or other video codecs, would allow us to be way more efficient in that regard.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:37:05 am by The E »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
*sigh* even if there's no h264 implementation, there is VP8...specifically, ffvp8, part of ffmpeg, which is LGPL.  Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if we _were_ going to add another video format, that seems the way to go to me.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nighteyes

well there is a downside in using ogg as cbanims, this way there is no option to use cbanims with alpha channel(as far as i know)...
EFF animation with PNG images produces pretty small animation sizes in terms of mgb IMO

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
well there is a downside in using ogg as cbanims, this way there is no option to use cbanims with alpha channel(as far as i know)...
EFF animation with PNG images produces pretty small animation sizes in terms of mgb IMO

No, it really doesn't.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken