Author Topic: 800x600  (Read 18321 times)

I dont get what all the fuzz is about....:nervous:
When will I learn?  The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV! -- Homer,  "There's No Disgrace Like Home''
I sometimes find myself here on this forum, late at night constantly pressing "Reload" over and over again

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by penguin

From a code point of view the changes would probably be trivial.

The difficulty would be the hundred-or-so graphics that make up the UI screens the HUD, etc. which are all either 640x480 or 1024x786.  Open up sparky-hi.vp in VPViewer -- each of those files would have to be converted to the different resolution.  You could scale it in Gimp or Photoshop or whatever your drawing program of choice is, but it would probably look pretty crappy.

It doesn't matter if it's 800x600 or 1600x1200 -- lotsa new images would need to be created.

Why not just stretch the 640x480 interface art to accomodate 800x600? It might not look perfect, but it would be quite simple and I wouldn't have to download 100MB of GUI art.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Ulala

I'm no graphics artist or coder or anything, in fact I know nothing of the source code or what's possible or what's not (I just play the game), but I think this is a good point, assuming it's possible. I have a AMD Ath 2700+, 512 DDR, and a Radeon 9500 pro and it's almost pointless to install something like FS2 onto it because the graphics are becoming more and more dated. Okay, flame away. :D

The beams will never look dated.:p
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

Why not just stretch the 640x480 interface art to accomodate 800x600? It might not look perfect, but it would be quite simple and I wouldn't have to download 100MB of GUI art.

The interface wouldn't likely look any better in 800x600 then it would in 640x480. It might even look worse if you just scaled up the 640x480 graphics. (Either manually or by software.) And the graphics themselves are only half the problem, all the locations of the various interface parts are hardcoded into the game on a per resolution basis. Changing that would require a lot of work for little benefit. IMHO, this is a "do it yourself" situation. If you want an 800x600 resolution bad enough, then you'll probably have to do it yourself.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Leave it at 1024 and make sure that the SCP allows us to enable high levels of FSAA and Aniostropic filtering or something and we'll be happy.  Who really needs to have a higher resolution with those features enabled....other than for bragging rights maybe....
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by IceFire
Leave it at 1024 and make sure that the SCP allows us to enable high levels of FSAA and Aniostropic filtering or something and we'll be happy.  Who really needs to have a higher resolution with those features enabled....other than for bragging rights maybe....

the ones that have a 21" and where you do see the pixels...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Venom

the ones that have a 21" and where you do see the pixels...
Serves them right for having so much money to spare.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
Serves them right for having so much money to spare.

don't be jealous, I paid mine half the price, from a company that went bankrupt :D ( heh, a brand new 21" for half the price, who would spit on it? :D )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well not only would new art need to be made but for every thing you see on screen at any time you would need to find and adgust four coordanants
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

may i suggest to REDUCE the high res graphics instead, good look converting and renaming all those 2000 odd misc interface graphics pieces.
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline RandomTiger

I was playing around with this last night. The locations for the bitmaps seem to be in arrays that I accessed and scaled acording to the new res against what it was meant for.

Now I just need to scale the width and height themselves.
It might not be so difficult but I suspect that stetching the textures will blur them too much and leave obvious joins with the main hall animations.

The advantage of stretching though it that one set of bitmaps can be used for all modes 640x480, 1280x1024 etc. In the future people could make hi res texture art and people running it at lower res just get scaled down versions, not too difficult using D3DX's texture helper functions.

Could a moderator or admin merge this with the 800x600 thread please.
[color=66ff00]Done, Maeg. [/color]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 06:57:22 am by 848 »

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by IceFire

Incidental note: The GeForce 5200 and probably other GeForce cards should allow you to set FSAA and Aniostropic filtering settings independent of what settings are available in the game itself. :) Though I don't really know what the latter actually does.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
any card with GL_ARB_multisample could use FSAA.  I've never tested it since i don't have a card that supports it.  I know anything above a Geforce 3 will, but not too sure about Radeons.

As for Ansiotropic filtering (never could spell that right ;)), any card with GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic will do this.  I actually have code that *should* be working in game that does this, but i have yet to see any comparative pics.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by PhReAk
As for Ansiotropic filtering (never could spell that right ;)), any card with GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic will do this.  I actually have code that *should* be working in game that does this, but i have yet to see any comparative pics.

Yeah, but what does it do? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
bah, FSAA is a joke. anti aliasing makes things looks more smooth, ok, but the her2 you see 100 meters in front of you was a big chunk of pixels w/o FSAA, it will remain a bunch of pixels with FSAA too.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ansiotropic filtering is a method of pulling colors from a bit map and transfering them to the screen while rendering a polygon, it is the nicest, yet by far slowest, method of doing this, I don't think it would be of much use in FS the only time you *might* see it is when you are flying along a huge capship, this is more something for FPSs
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
once we can get 32-bit textures, we anisotropic filtering would work since we need mipmaps and the opengl mipmap function doesn't like the 565 or 1555 texture format.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
to be honest I still can't see the usefulness of 32 bits maps.
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Venom
to be honest I still can't see the usefulness of 32 bits maps.

Um... quality?