Author Topic: FXAA in FSO  (Read 35834 times)

Offline Plombo

No, it's not, but look at the FXAA_GATHER4_ALPHA codepath.

I did.  All the uses of textureGather use the ARB_texture_gather prototypes, as far as I can tell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I am not entirely sure about it all. But then, I am not the one who wrote the shader :P
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kolgena

Nightly 7380 leaves mouse trails in-mission if FXAA is on and you access the ESC menu. Doesn't happen if FXAA is off. Game doesn't let me print-screen it, so you'll just have to go duplicate it yourself.

Turn on FXAA (I used preset 0)
Run any mission.
Hit ESC to bring up the quit/restart menu.
Move cursor off of the menu, into the 3D render space.
Cursor freaks out.

Pretty much a non-issue since it's completely harmless, similar to how the game no longer reports who kills you, but it's slightly annoying nonetheless.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Getting the same as Kolgena with FXAA enabled
Screen also flikkers on the borders when paused.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Kolgena

Flicker only happens if your scene was in motion prior to pausing. If you are absolutely still, there's no screen flicker.

Offline Davros

Out of curiosity, what does it look like if you also have ati's mlaa enabled ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It shouldn't look much different, as the MLAA shader would run on the FXAA-processed image, and would thus find only very little to do except waste performance.

Sorry but is there a file I'm supposed to download to make this change or do I need to manually edit this stuff in?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's built into recent builds as a launcher option. Not sure if those builds are available to the public, check 3.6.14 RC5.

Offline Kolgena

It shouldn't look much different, as the MLAA shader would run on the FXAA-processed image, and would thus find only very little to do except waste performance.

A key difference would be that MLAA will apply blurring/anti-aliasing to the HUD. So, if that's what you desire for some reason, then it can offer you that for massive performance cost.

3.6.14 RC5 has FXAA.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Is-it possible to implement SMAA in Open GL engine and so into FSO ?
Here some technical info:
http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

It has better rendering than FXAA and can be added with classic MSAA. So, playing a game with MSAA 2x + SMAA = WIN ! :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll look into it, but given that SMAA is a multi-stage algorithm that requires external textures to work correctly, I still prefer FXAA for its simplicity.

Offline Samus

Can the engine support normal antialiasing with postprocessing? I run the game with 32x AA + FXAA with my gtx 580, the game looks sharp and I still have effects like bloom, framebuffer explosions etc. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Offline Samus

Oh and sorry if this is not the right topic, but if I may ask, how do I get height maps working? I added the command line -height but I see no difference.

Thanks!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Normal maps do everything height maps did but way better.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can the engine support normal antialiasing with postprocessing? I run the game with 32x AA + FXAA with my gtx 580, the game looks sharp and I still have effects like bloom, framebuffer explosions etc. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Driver-enforced antialiasing should still work.

Oh and sorry if this is not the right topic, but if I may ask, how do I get height maps working? I added the command line -height but I see no difference.

Thanks!

You can't get height maps to work. First, because there are no height maps for any of the ships, second because there's no code in the shaders to make them work.

And no, this was not the right thread to ask. Especially not with a double post. There's a post modification function for that purpose.

Normal maps do everything height maps did but way better.

No. True parallax mapping would be a very nice thing to have, as it generally produces better visuals than standard normal mapping.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Would a proper parallax mapping implementation require and additions to FSO code, or can it be done entirely in shaders? Some form of it was in some time ago (and TVWP had maps for it), but it looked rather ugly (though maybe it was caused by improper -height maps).

Offline Kolgena

The only place I can think of where POM is better than normal maps are in greebled areas. However, I don't think they'd be worth the performance hit to use, especially if they end up breaking driver-forced AF.

Regarding SMAA: Some say it runs faster than FXAA, but I've consistently found that it is far slower than FXAA when using injectors of both for a number of games. Maybe the injectors suck or my hardware is too old, but it's something to keep in mind, I guess.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given how SMAA works, it is almost certainly slower than FXAA. Which is why FXAA will not get removed, even if SMAA integration is no problem.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Given how SMAA works, it is almost certainly slower than FXAA. Which is why FXAA will not get removed, even if SMAA integration is no problem.

Yep, it is a little slower than FXAA. You will lost perhaps 5 fps.