Author Topic: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)  (Read 75964 times)

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Re: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)
If you dont know how to compile the build yourself what use is going to be a debug build for you?

:nervous:
1) It'll sure help to identify if the crashes are caused by your build or something on the users side..
2) It will help testers report their bugs more easily (I'm not talking about visual glitches)
3) It'll also help FREDers to identify some crashes (regular debug builds don't display models)

BTW I'm requesting, not DEMANDING :P, if its not possible just say no...  ;)

1. Im not interested in crashes at the moment cause they are 99% user fault and code will change a lot in the future
2. no it wont, i included no code yet (Asserts etc.) that would show me what is wrong without seeing the thing myself
3. what have fredders to do with shadows? there are no features to tune in fred for shadows.

Best thing when reporting a bug or glitch is posting a screenshot or video. I have a very good eye for graphics and can spot causes for effects very fast. And cause i fully know my way around the code i wrote and why i wrote it and what it does i can figure out whats wrong very quickly. So if you want to help and cant give me something like "you forgot the perspective devide for the shadow texture lookup in the vertex shader" just post a screenie or vid that helps me the most.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I haven't checked any recent builds but some screen shots made me wonder, do beams cast shadows yet? I think they should be a higher priority than point sources.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, beams do not cast shadows yet. However, as Valathil explained it, getting point light sources to work is a necessary prerequisite for beam shadows.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Beams casting shadows? :wtf:
Don't you think it will be a little weird for a beam to cast a shadow? Beams are very similar to lasers on earth (correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't see lazors casting shadows on anything...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Kolgena

As in, the beam is the light source that casts shadows.

Offline Valathil

well beams cast light dont they? so they also cast shadows so what the f are you talking about. Also Beams are contained accelerated incandescent plasma and not lasers
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Beams casting shadows? :wtf:
Don't you think it will be a little weird for a beam to cast a shadow? Beams are very similar to lasers on earth (correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't see lazors casting shadows on anything...
you don't see them casting light on things or burning holes through things either.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo376zPns8I
there's a real life plasma beam that burns holes in stuff and casts light and shadows   :D

Offline Crybertrance

My fault, I didn't realize that you'all were talking about beams as a light source (thanks Kolgena). I thought that it was in the context of beams (as in a solid object ) casting shadows on something else. :no: :no: :nono:  Also I said that beams are similar to lasers. Also, no need to be so rude Valathil, its just a misunderstanding... :rolleyes:
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Valathil

its just the ludicrous illogic you displayed. if beams were lasers and dont cast light then they would only be visible if they hit the camera so no beam effects WHATSOEVER additionally they would be called "LASERS" and not "beams". so yeah i was rude cuz when people dont think about what is coming out of their mouths it pisses me off.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, welcome to deh internutz. :rolleyes:  Sometimes it keeps you saner to just ignore things that other people post that don't make sense.  Of course, then they will probably just say it again in a longer post.   :doubt:

Offline Valathil

Yeah, welcome to deh internutz. :rolleyes:  Sometimes it keeps you saner to just ignore things that other people post that don't make sense.  Of course, then they will probably just say it again in a longer post.   :doubt:

i no rite. But by stomping my foot down from time to time maybe people will hold themselves back just a little. maybe, just MAYBE.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Crybertrance

its just the ludicrous illogic you displayed. if beams were lasers and dont cast light then they would only be visible if they hit the camera so no beam effects WHATSOEVER additionally they would be called "LASERS" and not "beams". so yeah i was rude cuz when people dont think about what is coming out of their mouths it pisses me off.

Sorry man :( Guess ma brainz were not working so well at the time. :P

i no rite. But by stomping my foot down from time to time maybe people will hold themselves back just a little. maybe, just MAYBE.

Definitely, will hold myself back. my posts will be restricted to bug reporting and *helpful* suggestions ONLY! :p (BTW I don't do long posts very well, so don't worry...)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, it helps if you review your posts by reading them to yourself after you post them.  Then, if they don't make sense, quickly hit the "Modify" button, and put at the end: "EDIT: Whoops, not sure what I was thinking there, what I was trying to say was..." or "Please ignore that, had a brain fart" or somesuch.

Else people will quickly inform you that your post doesn't make much sense, see above exampli gratia.  ;)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
There are two possible interpretations of "beams casting shadows"

1, that the beams emit light which may be blocked by other objects, or
2, that the light from the sun (or other light sources) is blocked by beams.

I remember there was a pre-release screenshot of StarCraft II where one of the Protoss' beam weapons cast a [colored] shadow on the ground, but I can't seem to find it anymore  :sigh:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Can we have #1?  :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think we do. Beam lighting was in long before shadow.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So, you mean to say, the light cast from the beams will allow a fighter to cast a shadow on a cruiser that would otherwise have been lit by the beam if the fighter wasn't in between the beam and the cruiser?

beam            <light from beam>                  fighter          <shadow by fighter>               cruiser (now in shadow)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yes. Right now shadows are only being based on sun light sources. We want them to be cast by beams too. Shadows from explosions would be cool too, now that I think of it...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Yes. Right now shadows are only being based on sun light sources. We want them to be cast by beams too. Shadows from explosions would be cool too, now that I think of it...

... and of lasers, and exhaust plumes, and glowpoints, and everything! Start saving for the new rig that's gonna handle it :P