Author Topic: Sunshafts / Crepuscular Rays / Lightshafts (Committed!)  (Read 40082 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Re: Something i've been working on
Damn it, Valathil, this is going to be something I'm going to catch myself playing with in the middle of a dogfight.  You just cost me several deaths in FS2, pilot.  :nono:

but seriously this is awesome
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I think it'll work out well for nebula missions, atmosphere misisons, or for replicating thin nebulas or dust clouds - basically anything where the background isn't pitch black. Godrays in space just doesn't look right to me, rule of cool or not.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think it'll work out well for nebula missions, atmosphere misisons, or for replicating thin nebulas or dust clouds - basically anything where the background isn't pitch black. Godrays in space just doesn't look right to me, rule of cool or not.

Yeah, I agree. If this is implemented, I'd prefer it as a checkbox in mission specs than a launcher flag. The effect is bloody awesome though. :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
im thinking of putting the parameters and switch into post-processing.tbl where a user can enable it for all missions if he so chooses plus mission designers can enable them with the post process sexp and if you have a really bad pc i will include a cmdline to just turn it off always so the mission designer cant just bring your pc to a crawl. This is my idea for the time being but i want to talk to The E about it before fixating it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:59:03 pm by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Also, I don't know if it's possible or cost efficient, but I think the effect could use some blur. There's an odd striation to the present implementation, which I initially thought was color banding on Youtube but I can see it clearly in your nifty asteroid image as well.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
yes that is because of the reduced sample count i did so my gpu fan doesnt fly outta the case and chop my head off. if you increase that it gets better but also does a number on the performance
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
CRAP. Now The_E needs to record a version of Sunglare with godrays.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
the idea to put thay into post processing table is very good...it gaves freedom to use that or not.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Luis Dias

wow.

that is all.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
DAMMIT VALATHIL.  MY PANTS.

All of this is so flippin' awesome I'm going to run out of compliments for it sooner or later.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Well the sun effect does not do this justice, and would be cool if more spectacular flares were painted/created.
Anyway this is really cool for more distant stars where color is visible as well :d.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I see your lowres.. and raise you hires...

Better flare control would be frakking awesome.. but this thread is not about flares.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

that hires pic is exciting, Mjn, but it doesn't look like godrays at all...

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Imagine atmospheric missions with this. My eyes orgasm just thinking about it.

Crank up the bloom a bit, and you got a dogfight in Heaven.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

You know what else would work well for nebula missions? Reviving retail's 3d-poofs using soft particles!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
that hires pic is exciting, Mjn, but it doesn't look like godrays at all...

And you're retarded if you can't tell hires godrays from crummy-ass lowres.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Luis Dias

Calm yourself down, Cobra. My job does include renderings, I know *exactly* what a godray is (mathematically / geometrically / etc), and MJN's don't appear as such (the rays do not appear to conform to the Lucifer's mesh). It may be due to a whole variety of different effects put together.

It's still nice.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
1: They do conform to the mesh.. I suppose you just can't tell from that screen. Go watch the anim in motion in FSPort 3.3.

2: I could care a less whether or not you actually consider them godrays.

3: Who the frick cares? Stop hijacking Valathil's threads for stupid arguments.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I see your lowres.. and raise you hires...

Better flare control would be frakking awesome.. but this thread is not about flares.
That's pic from cutscene after Lucifer crushes terran installation, ofscreen. The point is, with just flashing white screen, it does not look good at all. But you are absolutely right it's not what this is about, sorry about that.