Author Topic: Sunshafts / Crepuscular Rays / Lightshafts (Committed!)  (Read 40083 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Something i've been working on
Valathil can the "god rays" (I hate that stupid religio-centric name for them, but I'll avoid pulling a Kazan... *christofacists!* crap I just did  :p) be done on a per sun setting?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
The "Crepuscular Rays" take the color of the sun in question if thats what you mean per sun setting. Also theres a Bailout coded in if the sun has disabled glare.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I think he means if there will be mutiple lightrays if there are multiple suns.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
What I'm looking forward to is seeing a big ship explode, and watching the rays morph around chunks of debris and other ships... With the exposion being the light source, of course.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
And, by extension, exploding bombs.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!

I tried that and it results in massive slowdown cause the shader runs multiple times. Im currently thinking about a way to make it so theres no big jump when 1 sun leaves the screen and it switches to the next sun.
What I'm looking forward to is seeing a big ship explode, and watching the rays morph around chunks of debris and other ships... With the exposion being the light source, of course.
Yeah thats the next thing im working on.

And heres a screen with a cockpit:

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool thought:
Disable outside shot when player warps out
Have jumpnode generate similar cockpit effects, giving visual impression of space-time distortion during subspace entry.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

No, I meant exactly what I said to have this as a per-sun setting and not tied to things like explosions, bombs, etc. all having this same effect.

I'd like to use it for some very specific situations (dusty nebulae, etc.) and not for everything.

That's not to say I'm against having the option for capship explosions to have a similar effect, but it is something that I'd like to have clear control over for mods or missions where that isn't the look that we're going for.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Cool thought:
Disable outside shot when player warps out
Have jumpnode generate similar cockpit effects, giving visual impression of space-time distortion during subspace entry.

Now that's a pretty sight... ;7 But there's still the problem of the cockpit clipping through the subspace vortex while the rest of the ship is passing through it.

So it'll be like this:

Activate jump drive -> see the wonderful jumpnode effects -> clip through the node (not to mention the cockpit might also dissapear, while the camera is still moving). So unless this problem is solved (is it?) it'll look kinda weird  :nervous:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm. Something doesn't look quite right.

The ray effect is a result of light hitting particles in space. Particles that happen to be in the shadow of solid opaque objects don't get hit by light, so they appear as darker areas.

There's no dust in the cockpit (hopefully the pilots aren't allowed to smoke during sorties) except maybe when ship is heavily damaged and there's an electronics fire onboard or something. In which case they would probably seal their flight suit and vent atmosphere.

So, the cockpit frame should cover the ray effect to give an impression that the effect happens outside the ship rather than being something else... Is it possible to get the cockpit to cover the effect, or will cockpit be part of it by virtue of being a 3d object?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
im thinking of putting the parameters and switch into post-processing.tbl where a user can enable it for all missions if he so chooses plus mission designers can enable them with the post process sexp and if you have a really bad pc i will include a cmdline to just turn it off always so the mission designer cant just bring your pc to a crawl. This is my idea for the time being but i want to talk to The E about it before fixating it.

Quoting this for Ace. Seems like a pretty elegant solution to me. I will say, though, that once stuff like this and shadows and whatnot finally make it to trunk, we should probably consider some kind of standard issue readme, or link to a wiki page or whatever with advice for newbies about the quickest and most efficient wsys of improving performance wnile sacrificing as little as possible graphically. But that's an issue for the future.

Any chance we could get a screenie or video of the effect in a nebula?  ;7
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
(I hate that stupid religio-centric name for them, but I'll avoid pulling a Kazan... *christofacists!* crap I just did  :p)
  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I tried that and it results in massive slowdown cause the shader runs multiple times. Im currently thinking about a way to make it so theres no big jump when 1 sun leaves the screen and it switches to the next sun.
What happens when you've got two suns on opposite sides?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that you probably won't be able to see them at the same time, not much. This whole godray thing is basically running as a replacement for the whiteout effect you normally get when looking at a sun.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Off topic, but... I want that cockpit.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
It's Wings material that I let Valathil use for cockpit testing, you can't have it. :P
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is that an F-14 pit, by the way?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Luis Dias

Some moderator should rename the thread. "Something I have been working on" is anything but descriptive, specially considering the author who is apparently trolling the entire engine to work under 6 fps... ;)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Some moderator should rename the thread. "Something I have been working on" is anything but descriptive, specially considering the author who is apparently trolling the entire engine to work under 6 fps... ;)
It should be renamed to "The Crepuscular Rays of DOOM that will kill your Comp." :lol:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It should be renamed to "The Crepuscular Rays of DOOM that will kill your Comp." :lol:
Hmm, does anyone here play Descent / Descent II via D2X-XL?  You ever try putting all the settings to the max??  That thing can make a system crawl... Anyone ever get it working @ max settings with their rig?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Smoke effects and debris alone will asplode the thing.
If those are off / as low as possible I can put just about everything else at the highest setting.
Advanced Trails + Helix = crispy card too.