Author Topic: New pilots inherit volume levels from current pilot: bug or feature?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
New pilots inherit volume levels from current pilot: bug or feature?
Currently, if you start the game and immediately create a new pilot in the pilot selection screen, the new pilot gets the hard-coded default volume settings. However, if you've already selected a pilot and then proceed to create a new one, the new pilot will inherit the currently selected pilot's volume levels. Based on looking at the code, I know how and why it happens, but I can't really tell if it's a bug or not. In a way it might make sense since no matter which pilot you use, you're still on the same physical machine and likely want to use the same volume settings.

The reason I'm asking is because I tried to add game_settings.tbl options for setting the default volume levels, and the easy implementation for that would suffer from the same inheritance issue as the hard-coded defaults now do.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: New pilots inherit volume levels from current pilot: bug or feature?
Er... is game_settings.tbl a renamed mod.tbl, or what?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
game_settings is the 'mod.tbl'
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So, what I said? 'K.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
as far as i can understand, what was meant in the op was ' I tried to add game_settings .tbl options' <-- notice the space after _settings

SO, game_settings is a setting under mod.tbl, the "game_settings.tbl" was simply a typo

... did I infer correctly?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Game_settings.tbl is the name for the actual table. Everyone just calls it mod.tbl since that was the original name for it. Oh and the .tbm is called mod.tbm
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you want to clone another pilots settings you should inherit settings, but if you create a fresh pilot from scratch it should reset to defaults. the whole reason it lets you clone pilots is to give you a choice between defaults and existing settings.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well duh. But volume settings (or at least a "master volume") is something you might want as a program-wide setting, so that if you had the volume turned down to 1 and the speakers up to max, you don't accidentally deafen yourself when you create a new pilot.

Adding a "master volume" setting seems like it might be trouble to do, though.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you dont want to use defaults you have the option of cloning another pilot. though i have nothing against setting the default master volume somewhere though. so that the defaults arent full blast.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN