Author Topic: Oculus Rift HMD  (Read 27676 times)

Offline gonz

Just wondering if any coders have ordered a development kit for the Oculus Rift from Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

If so what do you think the chances of getting FreeSpace to work well with it are? Obviously it won't look great because of the low resolution though but it would be so immersive, the ability to look around would be so great. You could have a real cockpit. I am giddy with the thought of it.

Glen
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:33:22 am by gonz »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can already have a real cockpit through TrackIR/FreeTrack. It does not need some not-yet-released gadget.

That being said, the only (haha) things needed to do in order to make this work with FSO are to adapt our TrackIR code to handle whatever positioning data is sent by this system, and (and this is the problematic part), change the 3D renderer to handle stereoscopic rendering.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Blargh. Looks like Yet Another Expensive Gadget for people who think they're too good for the good ol' keyboard, mouse and screen(s)...

Also, if you want a modeled cockpit, that's already possible, and if you want to look around, it's already possible with TrackIR.

EDIT: ninja'd
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline gonz

Sorry, I should not have said "real cockpits", I know they have been available for a while.

What I meant was be able to look around the cockpit naturally using your head and just see the view, not have to look back to a monitor which is not positioned where your head is currently pointing.
i.e. being able to turn your head 90 degrees to the left and actually be seeing what is in that direction
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:42:21 am by gonz »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Sorry, I should not have said "real cockpits", I know they have been available for a while.

What I meant was be able to look around the cockpit naturally using your head and just see the view, not have to look back to a monitor which is not positioned where your head is currently pointing.
i.e. being able to turn your head 90 degrees to the left and actually be seeing what is in that direction
that... might be incredibly disorienting, considering FSO's gameplay in general...
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

that... might be incredibly disorienting, considering FSO's gameplay in general...

in theory at least as or most probably less disorientating as Track IR when set up properly because you look forwards relative to your body and that is forwards, look left and that is left, there is no turn your head slightly and wait for your screen to scroll to where you want it.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
in theory at least as or most probably less disorientating as Track IR when set up properly because you look forwards relative to your body and that is forwards, look left and that is left, there is no turn your head slightly and wait for your screen to scroll to where you want it.

The delay between your head turning and the in-game camera turning with Freetrack should be imperceptible, if it's set up properly and your computer has the resources for it.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What we really need is a full simulator for a chairs. I want my chair to mimic banking turning and real G forces. And then, when I die in-game.. I want my office to explode so I can really feel like I'm in the game!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

The delay between your head turning and the in-game camera turning with Freetrack should be imperceptible, if it's set up properly and your computer has the resources for it.

sorry not quite what I meant, what I am trying to get at is that you cant look 90 degrees left with Track IR because then you are not able to look at the monitor so I presume there is either a movement scaler or you have to look left and wait for the program to turn the view to 90 degrees, both of which bring in an element of disorientation because they are not how reality works, which a system like this would not have.

What we really need is a full simulator for a chairs. I want my chair to mimic banking turning and real G forces. And then, when I die in-game.. I want my office to explode so I can really feel like I'm in the game!

not a big fan of explodie, its kind of a bit permanent  :snipe:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This!
And when the life support subsystem bites it, I want my room turned into a vacuum. How else am I going to immerse myself in the game?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
And how would you see your keyboard to command your wing whilst wearing that?? Good luck trying to C-3-9 with that on! Hmmm?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
When you've memorized the layout of a keyboard it's near-impossible to mess that up.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I don't look at my keyboard while playing  :pimp:

^True KB+Mouse veteran.

This Oculus thingy could make Multi interesting...... And WiH could cause me to throw up.

I'm not even mentioning Transcend with this system. No way......

NEVER :shaking:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
**** the head tracking aspects, bring on the stereoscopy.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
While it's most likely very expensive (for now), I think it'd be great if FS could someday work with Oculus Rift and other, similar devices that will soon inevitably appear. I think VR is the future of gaming, considering immersion it allows.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We should prepare FSO to work with holographic projection rooms.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
While it's most likely very expensive (for now), I think it'd be great if FS could someday work with Oculus Rift and other, similar devices that will soon inevitably appear. I think VR is the future of gaming, considering immersion it allows.
It's funny...people said the same thing around 1994 or so. :p

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken