Author Topic: Oculus Rift HMD  (Read 27809 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
If there is anybody with an SCP badge that would like to have an Oculus Rift device, I can possibly see to it to procure possibly 2 of them.

I'm inclined to go with Swifty and Valathil as my choices on this one, especially since they would be able to collaborate more effectively that way.

If I could manage to pull off a third one, that one could be up for discussion.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:47:47 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I'd be down for that. I was looking into my budget to make room for a Rift purchase but not having to purchase one out of my own pocket would help out a lot.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And I have confirmation on 2 Oculus Rift units. I'll be reaching out once I know when they are shipping out to me to arrange for shipping out to their destinations.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Would love one but I can't see me h
having time to do anything with it since I can't even seem to get myself to write a spec for the new pipeline. my job seems to kill any motivation and time for SCP for me.

┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Do the responsible thing and quit your job! :D

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Of course, If someone writes me a check every month ill work on SCP Full time no problem.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll write you a check every month... No guarantees about the amount though. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Guys my Oculus Rift has arrived...am i the only one that tried it?
I can assure you is the best experience of all times for me :)

I tested a sort of space sim (First Law) and i can only imagine the potential it could have in Freespace and all his mods.
I'd suggest you to buy it....i think it will be a piece of history:)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I want one, but it's a dev kit only so I wouldn't really have much use for it.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
It provides a blurry low res image quality so yeah, it's really not worth it except to just demo the VR or to actually use it to test out VR enabled graphics code. Wait until the consumer versions come out which should at least be 1080p.

Any status update on our devkits, Zacam?

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
it can be low rez etc, but the effect it gives is outstanding,better than every 3d cinema i've ever tested in my life.
i think you can't understand until you really  use it IMO.

Anyway my suggestion was for SCP coders who wants to work on it... i think implementing this in FSO would be great. :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im kinda putting it off until a consumer version comes out. i dont really see the low res screen being too big of an issue. especially considering you want the game to run as fast as possible to keep all the latencies down, going for fluidity over quality.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
ok guys, i tried to use Diaspora with the Oculus rift:
First of all, i had to download oculus overlay:
This software in development allows you to prewarp all things you have in your primary monitor.
Then i used Opentrack that simulate the trackir dll protocol with the Rift headtracking.

The result is pretty good,even if you don't have  stereoscopic view.
It's weird, but even in 2d mode the HMD gives you more depht,and the fov is huge.

The only concern i had was the framerate that it makes the game unplayable,since you have to run the game in window mode,your graphic card have to duplicate the main monitor image into the hmd and FPS goes around 20fps with my HD 6850.

Hope this can helps: if you have an Oculus Rift give it a try  :)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Guise ... they arrived:

http://imgur.com/a/8mbaJ#0

I only unboxed one of the two, to show what will be expected. The second one is ready to go for shipping, once I know where.

So, I should probably get a PM on where it needs to go, ya?

Also, there is now a Project on the Oculus dev space for "FreeSpace Open SCP". No idea how/where to control membership or get people associated to it, but it's there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:44:20 am by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Rift ready here and willing to beta test as needed.  Diaspora was top on my lists if games to google in conjunction with "Oculus Rift."  Just let me know.

Damn..... now I'm tempted to buy before they go consumer level... ...must resist... must wait!
Aurel; Try freespace as well, don't just stop on Diaspora!
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline guitarfan01

• Longtime Lurker
Oh man, I want one of these (and FSO support) a lot.  I'll need a new computer and video card too, I'm sure.

I wonder how much decals and particles would need to change in the game to make them fit in with the 3D assets.

I know there are plenty of blogs out there talking about the OR, but I thought I'd share my experience so far and how it is relevant to space games.

I ordered my rift in April, with an estimated ship date of may, and got it three days ago.  Drove me crazy!  Anyway, one of the first things I tried was a Macross flight sim (I am a HUGE Macross fan).  The interface of a real sci-fi fighter faces some of the same issues as VR ones.  Hud elements need to be focused at infinity, or else they don't line up with objects in the real world.  My targeting brackets seemed to be about 30 feet in front of me.  Also, the current dev version is quite low res, so in flight sims when it is critical to locate and identify tiny objects long distances away, it falters.  This isn't an issue since the consumer version will be higher resolution, but the current Dev kit doesn't lend its self well to flight sims because of that.

On the flip side though, I discovered while playing War Thunder that while dog fighting is harder, your situational awareness is vastly improved.  Having a sens of scale, distance and speed meant I could come swooping in, air break with a flair and land on a carrier like some sort of hot shot.  Let us not forget that the OR has the best head tracking I've seen, ever.  And I've used military grade simulators.  It puts my TrackIR to shame.  It doesn't get confused, it just obeys in mere milliseconds.  Every once in a while it can start getting off set (your head's natural 'forward' is not the same as looking forward in the sim), but with my view tied to my mouse too (I was flying with joystick and throttle), I could quickly correct this without issue.

Overall, for anyone who hasn't tried it, you just can't understand.  I've used VR systems before, and I've been imagining what OR is like since I first read about it, but nothing was quite on the mark.  It will change you, or at least change your opinions about PC gaming.  I'm 100% convinced this is the future.  I'm no longer saving up to replace my three 22" screens with 23" 3D screens.  I'm going to spend 1/5th  the cash on a smaller screen that straps to my face and fills my field of vision.

Offline docfu

Thanks for this post. I was thinking about upgrading my 37" sharp to something HD but if the Rift is cheap enough when it's released I may give that a go instead. Nice having options to think about.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Completely agree....i can't play anymore without using the OR...i have a 40'' Led full HD TV in front of my face but it became obsolete once you tried the Rift.

If you'll try it you can't go back....that's the point IMO. :)