Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613708 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
Played and finished Space Quest II the last couple days.  Had to do a bit of wiki cheating as I don't know the mentality of point & clicks (or text parsers in this case).  Also was annoying when an alien burst out of my chest and I had to re-do 1/3rd the game but all good. Nice to play a game that you can finish in a couple of hours and a lot of the humour still holds up.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finally got around to finish Descent 2.
Dear, those goddamn thiefbots, I don't know if I love for the adrenalin of chasing them around the levels, or hate them for basically everything else.

I also installed Descent 3 but after a quick try I already miss having a sourceport, I'll probably have to rig up a profile for my HOTAS but for some reason the command line for 1080p doesn't seem to work properly (I still get a 4:3 image although squished-looking) so I'll probably have to mess either with the Radeon control panel or NGlide to get it to work properly.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Snarks

I was an early adopter of Prison Architect, but I actually found the game less fun with each alpha. The biggest change was the global "temperature" which meant prisoners were much more subdued unless this temperature meter really kicked off. Unfortunately, this meant a lot less randomness in the game, and I lost interest when I could solve most of the issues with the prisoners with some simple setups.

Played a bit of Convoy, but the combat engine didn't feel super satisfying. Decent enough game nonetheless, but I don't see myself going back to it.

I'm feeling like a malcontent at this point. Got this whole Steam sale but barely anything is peeping my interest.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:21:20 am by Snarks »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Returned from a week in Vienna the night from Saturday to Sunday, and nursing my sunburned skin (you forget just how much overcast skies are part of your life when you've lived the past decade within walking distance of the sea)...

Finished Overload ... never had any experience with the original run of the Descent-franchise, so I like the chance to try basic principles now. It was fun diversion.

I am going to move on Star Wars: Starfighter later today ... and then I am going to see if the recent patches to Battletech fixed my save...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Played a bit of Convoy, but the combat engine didn't feel super satisfying. Decent enough game nonetheless, but I don't see myself going back to it.

I played that for a bit until one of the trucks I told to go to the left of my semi-truck went right instead and blew himself on a rock.  Pretty much quit not long after.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Returned from a week in Vienna the night from Saturday to Sunday, and nursing my sunburned skin (you forget just how much overcast skies are part of your life when you've lived the past decade within walking distance of the sea)...

Finished Overload ... never had any experience with the original run of the Descent-franchise, so I like the chance to try basic principles now. It was fun diversion.

I am going to move on Star Wars: Starfighter later today ... and then I am going to see if the recent patches to Battletech fixed my save...

Starfighter is a nice little game, apart from the heavily scripted last mission (I hate when they make a boss invulnerabe until you reach a certain point without even inventing some technobabble to justify it), works really well with a joystick too.

I should probably get Overload next month, I want to finish Descent 3 first even though at the moment I have trouble with setting up the controls because it's one of these games that doesn't seem to know which keyboard layout is using and all the countermeasures and inventory keys are in that disgraced part of the keyboard between the Enter key and the alfanumeric keys that changes arbitrarily depending on the layout.
At least this has a quicksave key I can map toone of the unused switches, and I still have to map the guidebot menu.
I'm resigned to play the game in 4:3 but at least I can set the resolution to 1440x1080 using the command line.

Meanwhile I'm tempted to get Battlfront II on sale and the Inferno Squad novel kindle version even though I have yet to finish Bloodlines, yes, I know it's Battlefront II but I'm too much of a Star Wars fan to pass on the single player campaign and the sale is tempting. Besides, I remember the starfighter mode being fun for what it was.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline crizza

Totaly hooked on Jurassic World Evolution.
I could watch these giants for ages walking around. Not that I did monday till 5AM :D

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
They are playing up the Jursassic Park nostalgia hardcore, and it works. 

Elite Dangerous sound design + That classic T-Rex roar,  man, it's great.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

Starfighter is a nice little game, apart from the heavily scripted last mission (I hate when they make a boss invulnerabe until you reach a certain point without even inventing some technobabble to justify it), works really well with a joystick too.

Yeah it was a neat little experience ... It's no Rogue Squadron and its not going to tie me over till the release of X-Wing 2.0 but it was fun while it lasted....

But the knockback from incoming fire makes part of the finale nearly unplayable... Seriously, you are maneuvering the inside of the Droid Control-Ship via corridors hardly three times the size of your fighter and everytime you get hit it pushes your nose straight down, sometimes even into a collision with the walls/floor/celling.

Meanwhile I'm tempted to get Battlfront II on sale and the Inferno Squad novel kindle version even though I have yet to finish Bloodlines, yes, I know it's Battlefront II but I'm too much of a Star Wars fan to pass on the single player campaign and the sale is tempting. Besides, I remember the starfighter mode being fun for what it was.

I don't know if the single-player campaign is that much of draw ... the Epilogue is a nice tie-in to TFA but that was about the coolest moment to me...

Starfighter Assault is still fun if you don't mind fighting inexplicably high-leveled opponents; though progression is has accellerated quite a bit.

Va-11 Hall-a and The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit are next, while I set-up a SVN...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

So I finished SC2 : Legacy of the Void since my last post here. Not much to add beyond what I already said, SC2 are a great series of game, if a bit lacking in terms of story & characters (even by Blizzard standards). Clumsy would probably how I'd qualify it, it feels like it was written from memory rather going back through SC1 + BW, and so remembered the important story bits clearly, but things are rather muddy on the details, and then there's stuff that was probably remembered during development. Not a deal breaker, but kinda wince-worthy for some that played through the original games a few times.
That they waited so long to make these sequels also made it rather awkward to recap relevant stuff that happened over 10 years prior in real time without being too expo-dumpy. They did the best they could by relegating most of it to optional conversations between missions, but I can't help but wonder if there could have been a more elegant way to go about it (no idea what it could be, but it's food for thought).

Anyway, I plan to see if I can have some fun with the mission editor at some point.

Moving on, I was feeling nostalgic the other day & reinstalled Arcanum : Fallout in steampunk-magic land, but couldn't actually get past the character creation screen, because I had no idea what character I wanted to play. I mean over the years, I've had (from what I can recall) :
- A neutral dwarven tech gunner
- A good aligned human tech warrior
- An evil elven mage
- A good aligned human archer-mage
- A neutral gnome diplomat
- A too-dumb-to-have-an-alignment ogre brute
- And probably a couple other rerolls that I forgot or didn't get very far with

So while I would enjoy revisiting some of those (especially since I didn't finish the game with most of them - Arcanum is big, and it's been a long while since I last played), I was pondering trying something new, what I had in mind :
- An evil barbarian mage-warrior - there's a ton cool magic swords & armors, plus evil-aligned companions that I never really got to try out.
- A neutral halfling thief - I'm not sure how viable stealth is in this game. I'm also afraid of getting bored after a while, so I would probably need to think about branching into something else once I max out the stealth stuff.
- A good tech-wizard - I've heard it's kinda tricky to maintain a balance, and not super-effective, but that's also an appealing challenge.
- An evil tech bomb thrower/pyromaniac - Fun concept, but also afraid of getting bored.
- A (probably evil-aligned) crazy omnicidal maniac - A mage would probably be easier, but a tech gunslinger would present some interesting challenges in terms of logistics & reputation management.

So since I basically have about a dozen different options right now, I pondering whether I should just roll a dice or get some second opinions/recommendations/suggestions. Thoughts anyone ?

Offline 0rph3u5

Moving on, I was feeling nostalgic the other day & reinstalled Arcanum : Fallout in steampunk-magic land

Ah, the memories...

- An evil barbarian mage-warrior - there's a ton cool magic swords & armors, plus evil-aligned companions that I never really got to try out.
- A neutral halfling thief - I'm not sure how viable stealth is in this game. I'm also afraid of getting bored after a while, so I would probably need to think about branching into something else once I max out the stealth stuff.
- A good tech-wizard - I've heard it's kinda tricky to maintain a balance, and not super-effective, but that's also an appealing challenge.
- An evil tech bomb thrower/pyromaniac - Fun concept, but also afraid of getting bored.
- A (probably evil-aligned) crazy omnicidal maniac - A mage would probably be easier, but a tech gunslinger would present some interesting challenges in terms of logistics & reputation management.

When you are playing an evil-aligned magic-character you might have some trouble in the end-game, because a certain story choice locks you out of the quest line to get your high-level magic training.

None of the evil companions has white necromancy as far as I recall...

==================

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I don't know if the single-player campaign is that much of draw ... the Epilogue is a nice tie-in to TFA but that was about the coolest moment to me...

Starfighter Assault is still fun if you don't mind fighting inexplicably high-leveled opponents; though progression is has accellerated quite a bit.
I bought it this morning and it's still installing (70 gb? Bloody Hell).
I'm reading the novel and it's a nice little inside look to a certain subset of the empire, the "true believers" who genuinely think the Empire is for Peace & Order rather than Power for Those in Charge, of course this will change for the game IIRC but considering the time we are living in a narrative closer to Tie Fighter (note that the first half of the novel reminds me a lot of TF because Inferno Squad tends to be primarily deployed against other imperials not unlike that game) with a redemption-less protagonist would probably fly over people's heads.

The single player campaign is pretty fun, its not super compelling but has a lot of variety.

You know the VR is good when you're taking cover behind a console, and when you go to stand up you try to put a hand on it to help yourself up. And then remember it's not actually there.

SUPER HOT is still pretty hot

When you are playing an evil-aligned magic-character you might have some trouble in the end-game, because a certain story choice locks you out of the quest line to get your high-level magic training.
My memory of the high level magic stuff is a bit fuzzy (it's in Tulla, right ?), how are you locked out exactly ?
If it's strictly karma-related, I figure I could always give money to a beggar in Tarant, do the quest, then go back to Tarant and tell the same beggar to go **** himself a few times. It's not exactly ideal from a role play perspective to use tricks like that, but hey the completist in me wouldn't mind :shrug: .

None of the evil companions has white necromancy as far as I recall...
Virgil does (and I would probably get it as well sooner or later), which is usually enough to keep the party alive - or resurrect them afterwards.

I like Virgil, he is often underappreciated, people usually categorize him as an early game crutch (which he is) that doesn't have the potential versatility or strength that other fighters or mages have, but A) his alignment matches yours, so he'll pretty much stay with you no matter what (well until some point after Caladon if you're good-aligned), B) he levels up with you, so he actually becomes a capable fighter fairly fast and stays useful throughout the game, and C) he only has access to white necromancy so he doesn't waste energy on other spells the AI isn't smart enough to use properly.

Offline 0rph3u5

My memory of the high level magic stuff is a bit fuzzy (it's in Tulla, right ?), how are you locked out exactly ?
If it's strictly karma-related, I figure I could always give money to a beggar in Tarant, do the quest, then go back to Tarant and tell the same beggar to go **** himself a few times. It's not exactly ideal from a role play perspective to use tricks like that, but hey the completist in me wouldn't mind :shrug: .

Hehe, fuzzy memory here as well ... but the high magic stuff is basically you getting an amulet after passing a test from mages' enclave in the desert (the condition to take the test is to have maxed any of your spell categories, you can then take a test on that category; you can only be tested in one category). The amulet halves the spell cost, if I recall correctly.

As for the evil part ... well it isn't exactly an evil choice but it is one you would take naturally as an evil character:
Spoiler:
When you side with the Dark Elves, they will ask you to "deal" with a human village close to the elven woods-thingy the Dark Elves are set up in. If you destroy the village not only will the Dark Elves set you up for the ritual to get you to the finale but it will also lock you out of finding the mages' enclave at all.

Follow-up on Va11 Hall-A;

It was very, very good for a kinda-visual novel type thing ... very slice of life-y that you usually don't get from Cyberpunk... (very much a pick for the replay-list, I didn't try to get people drunk so I might have left a lot of secrets on the floor)

However you might want to go into with a high tolerance to adult themes (it's a bartending sim after all) and some out-there adult themes at that (did I mention the sex-bot looking like 13-year old girl? - The game goes out its way to explain that she is psychologically adult and everything she does is consensual and role-play'y but ... yeah, underage-looking sex-bot....)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:08:44 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Hehe, fuzzy memory here as well ... but the high magic stuff is basically you getting an amulet after passing a test from mages' enclave in the desert (the condition to take the test is to have maxed any of your spell categories, you can then take a test on that category; you can only be tested in one category). The amulet halves the spell cost, if I recall correctly.

As for the evil part ... well it isn't exactly an evil choice but it is one you would take naturally as an evil character:
Spoiler:
When you side with the Dark Elves, they will ask you to "deal" with a human village close to the elven woods-thingy the Dark Elves are set up in. If you destroy the village not only will the Dark Elves set you up for the ritual to get you to the finale but it will also lock you out of finding the mages' enclave at all.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Then again, I don't think I ever bothered with the amulets even with my nice mage characters, and since I tend to shy away from high level expensive spells in combat (lvl 1 wound beats everything :P) I probably wouldn't have noticed much of a difference back then anyway.

I'm thinking about trying out a tech-wizard fighter - mixing tech blades with magic buffs, or a bomb-throwing halfling thief, who may or may not reverse pickpocket dynamite in people's pockets.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished the single player campaign of Star Wars Battlefront II (PC)
A nice little Star Wars sidestory, especially if you read the Inferno Squad novel first.
Getting the joystick to work properly was a pain in the arse, I had to use both 360ce and a CH Control Manager profile to compensate for the complete absence of any possibility of rebinding buttons and axises on a controller in-game but oh, boy were the space parts really nice once I got it to work (the throttle unfortunately isn't optimal since it's not a slider axis but it's functional at least). They reminded me a lot of Rogue Squadron 3D or Star Wars Starfighter which is a big improvement over the frankly insulting first Battlefront starfighter controls.
The on-foot gameplay was fine, though I didn't like being locked into third person view for a good chunk of it.
Also the cutscenes both in multiplayer and single player if they happen after the first loading screen they slow down and stutter without apparent reason which was really annoying (I get a super smooth frame rate on Ultra during gameplay).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Little bit of Payday 2, it pleases me.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Been playing Mechwarrior Online & Borderlands 2.
Borderlands 2 is pretty fun but have been ignoring a lot of the loot because there's just too much of it.  Just swapping out guns as needed to get the Badass ranks.

MWO - grindy but fun for a while. Ghost heat though is the worst (Extra heat for firing above a threshold of certain weapons). What a dumb mechanic