Author Topic: Feature Request: Turret Firing Arcs in Fred  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Zarax

Feature Request: Turret Firing Arcs in Fred
Hi,
I'm in the process of re-learning FREDing and perhaps by virtue of being a noob I'm noticing that properly placing ships seems to be more difficult than in earlier versions (aka beam free all turrets seemingly having trouble in firing at some angles), although this might be related to me using mediaVP ships rather than vanilla ones.
While this can be remedied fairly easy in smaller missions, it becomes quite tiring in large ones, where tracking beams in tests can be quite cahotic.

IMHO it would be extremely useful to be able to see turret firing arcs inside FRED so that proper cap-ship to cap-ship engagements would be easier to set up.

What do you think?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Feature Request: Turret Firing Arcs in Fred
you probably running into things like check hull flags which stops turret fire clipping the host ship.

on the request i can see fields of fire from turrets on non fighter/bombers would be useful especially when using unfamiliar assets
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about combining firing arc indicators with a range indicator as well, based on what weapon is loaded into said turret?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zarax

That would be excellent, is there any coder interested?
The Best is Yet to Come

I would love to see this and it would be even better if this could be implemented in a way I could code a scripting function for it.

While I had some fun with turret firing arcs for the RTS mod and the general math is not so complicated, I have no idea how FRED works (Like how to get the projection right and how to draw this).
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Zarax

Also, once that is set it might turn out useful for AI as well...
The Best is Yet to Come