Author Topic: The /multidata option  (Read 1397 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The /multidata option
The Multiplayer Getting Started guide says that the /multidata option doesn't do anything and you should leave it turned off. However, the code does do something with it (the MLO_FLAG_LOCAL_BROADCAST flag), and if it didn't then why should you toggle it off when it defaults to on? Anyone have any idea what exactly it does, and whether it matters if it's on or off?

Also, it seems that it should be called "Broadcast Locally" but it simply has the wrong xstr number (it certainly has nothing to do with /multidata code-wise), so if that's the case then this would fix that:

Code: [Select]
Index: optionsmenumulti.cpp
===================================================================
--- optionsmenumulti.cpp (revision 10314)
+++ optionsmenumulti.cpp (working copy)
@@ -137,7 +137,7 @@
  { "IP Address", 1380, 30, 128, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },
  { "add", 1381, 22, 235, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[0][OM_PRO_ADD_IP].button },
  { "rem.", 1382, 68, 235, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[0][OM_PRO_DELETE_IP].button },
- { "Broadcast Locally", 1397, 42, 260, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[0][OM_PRO_LOCAL_BROADCAST].button },
+ { "Broadcast Locally", 1387, 42, 260, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[0][OM_PRO_LOCAL_BROADCAST].button },
  { "PXO", 1383, 42, 291, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[0][OM_PRO_VMT].button },
  { "Login", 1384, 14, 309, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },
  { "Password", 1385, 14, 336, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },
@@ -151,7 +151,7 @@
  { "IP Address", 1380, 47, 206, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },
  { "add", 1381, 36, 375, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[1][OM_PRO_ADD_IP].button },
  { "rem.", 1382, 109, 375, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[1][OM_PRO_DELETE_IP].button },
- { "Broadcast Locally", 1397, 68, 417, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[1][OM_PRO_LOCAL_BROADCAST].button },
+ { "Broadcast Locally", 1387, 68, 417, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[1][OM_PRO_LOCAL_BROADCAST].button },
  { "PXO", 1383, 68, 467, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_buttons[1][OM_PRO_VMT].button },
  { "Login", 1384, 23, 495, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },
  { "Password", 1385, 23, 538, UI_XSTR_COLOR_GREEN, -1, &Om_pro_bogus },

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: The /multidata option
IIRC the idea of the multidata folder was to allow files to Xfer to a different folder and thus prevent accidentally writing over the version in the missions folder.

I don't know if that still works.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline zookeeper

Well as far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the multidata folder, it's just some network broadcast thing. Unless it affects the behaviour of transferred files on a local network (or something) in some non-obvious way. :confused:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd need to look through the code to try and figure out what it was actually meant to do (And I can't do that at the moment).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline zookeeper

I committed the rename, and even added a mention on the wiki page.