Author Topic: Tractor beams and repair bots would be cool  (Read 1898 times)

Offline RandomTiger

Tractor beams and repair bots would be cool
Tractor beams would be cool. Damaged ships could be towed back to big ships at the end of a mission instead of floating about space disabled.

How about docking with big ships for repairs and re-arming.

Also repair bots (like in homeworld) for massive vessels would be fun.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Bah, more freighters to tow back ships would be cool, I thought they weren't used enough in the game

*remembers Tombaugh Station*

*sigh*

Memories

Offline RandomTiger

I alway felt sorry for the disabled fighters on 1% that I couldnt do anything for and couldnt even jump out of the system.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Tritons could probably move cruisers, and a few might even be able to move a corvette (assuming of course we get multiple docking working)

Offline Kitsune

Heh, more freighters would be cool.  Some with a semi-generic flat surface for large containers to dock to on the bottom of the ship.

Though on one GTVI mission I experimented with, if you disabled an enemy fighter a support ship would fly in, dock with it, then take it off.  The whole purpose of the mission was to supply command with other shivan fighters so they could be examined and possibly converted for Terran/Vasudan use.  (Like when Alpha one goes off to shivan space for the raid on the comm nodes in Mara's).

I used support ships instead of freighters because a support ship can cruise at 70 instead of the 25-35 of a poisedon.  That and they aren't armed, so they don't shoot up other fighters you're trying to grab.  

So maybe a freighter with a fighter docking or cruiser docking facility would be better.

But tractor beams for larger ships would be much better.  Have a disabled destroyer towed out by a dozen tugs instead.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Inquisitor

Someone posted a tweak that let the repair ship repair damaged hulls.
No signature.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Actually, any ship can tug anything else. Try having an Elysium dock with the Colossus and push it around. Or jump out... sideways.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...