Author Topic: 3d models for loadout screen?...and...  (Read 4336 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
3d models for loadout screen?...and...
Just thinking.... could the actual pof models be used for the ship / weapons selection anis instead of the current system, ala the ships database.

Because a good ful-motion ani takes up ~9 to 10MB in my experience, this could really help with mods/campaigns.

also, where is the size (in pixels & frames) of the loading ani defined?  I want to enlarge this, so I can make sommat neat ;)

I just Borland, so hopefully I can actually compile some stuff and muck about :D

(edit)
Oh.... and I wonder if an extra hud ani can be made - effectively a fighter cockpit image (ok, crude, but may look neat), possibly with 1+ extra frames so change it when it's damaged (?)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Just thinking.... could the actual pof models be used for the ship / weapons selection anis instead of the current system, ala the ships database.

Oh god that would be VERY HELPFUL!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline RandomTiger

Are there models of the weapons to use?

Offline Grey Wolf

No, but wouldn't take much work to make them.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
That would also be useful.  We could do something about the background to make it more interesting to look at as well.
- IceFire

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
It shouldn't take much work, either.  The techroom already uses the pof for displaying the ship, so not a whole lot of new code will need to be written (I suppose).

The downfall of this would be that the full sequence of drawing the ship's outline on the green grid and then having it rotate down onto and angle before spinning would be lost.  (Of course, we won't be losing much, since no one ever makes full motion ANIs for this anyway.)  Perhaps we could at least put a green grid background in for the pof to be rendered over top of.

It would also be nice if some lights could be added to the in-game render for this thing, so that the pof would still glow green on the bottomside when spinning on the grid.

Great idea, Aldo! :yes2::D:yes:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2002, 10:21:38 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"Of course, we won't be losing much, since no one ever makes full motion ANIs for this anyway."

ah... ya, you'd have to be a , uh, real idiot to waist all that, time hehe :D

honestly I'd like this myself
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
The code for having a spinning ship already exits in the tech room code. should be a rather trivial mather of getting it into select ship screen. but maybe its harder than that.

maybe i will look at it.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Are there models of the weapons to use?

some....for the missiles methinks.

The code for the techroom is for a slightly bigger window...which may complicate stuff.  But i think it's possible...kinda why i suggested it ;)

tehre's also the code for the 3d ship popups in the briefing section, as well....another thing could be adding something similar for the actual command briefings - for any cb's where a new ship is being introduced..... dunno how you'd incorporate this, though. (maybe checking filename extensions then either going into the preexisting draw ani code, or a new display pof code?)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
The downfall of this would be that the full sequence of drawing the ship's outline on the green grid and then having it rotate down onto and angle before spinning would be lost.  (Of course, we won't be losing much, since no one ever makes full motion ANIs for this anyway.)  Perhaps we could at least put a green grid background in for the pof to be rendered over top of.

If you manage to duplicate that reported FS1 Glide rendering codde that made ships have glowing sections, you wouldn't even need to miss out on the grid: make a simple 3D grid, colored green (think jumpnode) and have it glow. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by sandwich

If you manage to duplicate that reported FS1 Glide rendering codde that made ships have glowing sections, you wouldn't even need to miss out on the grid: make a simple 3D grid, colored green (think jumpnode) and have it glow. :D

It's only a grid..... anyway, isn't the main missing bit the blue grid that gets 'filled' in at the start?

i seriously doubt anyone will really care the 2 grid effects are removed, though.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It would be nice to have though, so that you'd just need the ship POF to be imported in the game and Freespace 2 would load it automatically.
-C

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't think the grid thing would be that dificult to do, if we realy wanted to do it
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
But again there has to be a choice between the two... I've already made full motion loadout anis for OtT with the grid... so, it wouldn't be nice to FORCE it to use POFs :p

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
I know this would require a lot of work, but wouldn't it be possible given the people we have here to make the thing render the blue grid and filling in by using the fighter's wireframe? then do the rotate down before the spinning?

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by RKIF-DragonClaw
But again there has to be a choice between the two... I've already made full motion loadout anis for OtT with the grid... so, it wouldn't be nice to FORCE it to use POFs :p
Simple solution: if there's no $Ship_anim (or it's empty) we draw the POF...

More complicated for weapons... We can use the missle POF if there's no $Anim in the weapons.tbl, but since primaries have no POF, we're kinda stuck...
your source code slave

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by penguin
More complicated for weapons... We can use the missle POF if there's no $Anim in the weapons.tbl, but since primaries have no POF, we're kinda stuck...

Can you say: "Extremely sucky 'LOD' on those missile POFs"?? :doubt:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by sandwich

Can you say: "Extremely sucky 'LOD' on those missile POFs"?? :doubt:

I can, look:
"Extremely sucky 'LOD' on those missile POFs"
easy, hey? :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
No no....for weapons we make up higher poly versions for the display.

Its just that making a model and putting a texture on it seems to be a bit easier in my book than making the model, putting texture on it, and then rendering the thing.
- IceFire

Offline Inquisitor

Sounds like we have our first art related task.
No signature.