Author Topic: Ammunition for Primary weapons  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ammunition for Primary weapons
I imagine this has probably been suggested, but has anyone been able to create an ammunition limited primary weapon, like the Vulcan cannon in Descent, or even better, an ammunition limited primary weapon that actually fires projectiles? I tried a search before but I didn't really know what search terms to use, so I didn't come up with anything.

This would add realism to the game, particularly for weapons like the maxim, which is ammunition limited (Uranium slugs, isn't it), and for all other non energy based weapons. This would also be useful in FS prequels (if any get made).

I have no idea about how one would go about doing this, but I assume some of the secondary weapons code  could be ported over to the primary weapons section? Hell, I don't even know if this can be done with the way FS accesses the weapons tables at the moment, particularly with stuff like cargo size not working with primary weapons. Still, I think it'd be sweet :).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i always wanted ammo using weapons. you could alway find a way to disable the weapon alocation bar (like the shield bar is removed when you dont have shields). your weapon energy gauge now becomes your ammo gauge and doesnt recharge. you can increase it by docking with support. this has the side effect of disabling energy weapons. this brings us back to integrated weapons systems, but im not gonna go over it again, so just dig up one of my old threads if you are iterested.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
in fs2,

primaries are energy weapons(there are some that escape logic like the Maxim gun and the use of uranium slugs).

while secondaries are things that actual uses some form  of projectile.

and as such, a vulcan cannon would be a secondary weapon.

ppl would just have to hold down that secondary trigger somewhat more.

so you can already do it, it is just not called a primary weapon in the Freespace2 terminology.

and why should it. 3 words

"bullets in space" :D
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
While you're kind of right DTP, the man wants a vulcan in the primary weapon slot, not in the secondary, thus you're arguement is moot.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Why does it need to be primary?
-C

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
primary and seondary weapons have may things diferent about them beond just being limeted by ammo
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Why does it need to be primary?

so it fires out of the gunpoints and not the missile points.... if you want a Gatlijng Gun, a barrel is sort of needed for authenticitys sake......

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
dude, the whole point of making changes to the freespace source is to MAKE CHANGES TO THE @#$%ING SOURCE! i have a dream that one day the freespace engine will be able to accomplish anything seen in any other space sim.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
OK, so it was a silly question. :o
As for the energy bar, it doesn't have to be removed; ammo weapons will likely still require power, however little of it, and their are some instances where the weapon would be virtually useless without it :nod: (Gauss Rifle, anyone? :D)
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Primary and secondary weapons aren't defined by what they shoot but how they're used. Admittedly, all the secondaries in FS2 have been missiles, but any weapon that you don't use all the time is by definition, secondary to the battle. Like for example an energy draining heavy assault beam or something would be secondary because you couldn't use it all the time (as a primary).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Primary and secondary weapons aren't defined by what they shoot but how they're used. Admittedly, all the secondaries in FS2 have been missiles, but any weapon that you don't use all the time is by definition, secondary to the battle. Like for example an energy draining heavy assault beam or something would be secondary because you couldn't use it all the time (as a primary).

so a bomber should by your definition, have no secondary weapons when it carries Bombs or Trebs only. :wink:
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yea, the projectile guns should be in the Primary slots anyway. They wouldn't HAVE to be in the primary slots. But it would be much better. Considering you want something like pre-T-V war or something of the sort. But being in the primary slots or in the secondary slots changes a lot. There are certain features in the different slots for specific reason, such as primary being shots and secondary being missiles. Let's just say you would want your Vulcan Cannon to have the correct attributes, not shockwaves or trails (or would you? ;7 ).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
another feature for balistic weapons would be deflection angles. basicly the idea that microscopic variations in the rounds and unevanness of the propeland caus rounds to go off the vecter by slight random amounts. another words they scatter.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Well, I(m with DTP on this one. primaries are guns that you can use w/o any real restrictions, secondary are "bonus" weapons, i think. While a vulcan is a gun, it also uses ammunitions and a wise pilot would not use it all the time, just when needed ( puncturing a ship w/o shields). I for one would put all my energy primaries linked, my vulcan as secondary, once the shield of my target is down, no need to switch to anything, I press the secondary trigger and the bullets will tear the target apart.
My humble view on the question.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ammo consuming weapons are best used as part of my integrated weapons system idea. look it up if you dont get it.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Why not have the energy bar representing ammo? You'd have to fix it so it doesn't recharge, of course, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Well, it shouldn't recharge, but what about support ships? You can't leave that out. You'll need to refill sometime hehe :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2002, 12:32:36 am by 835 »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
for now we can just disable the weapon energy allocation bar and make the energy recharge when you dock with a support ship.

Nuke's Scripting SVN