Author Topic: [Suggestion] situation map  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Doc Oc

[Suggestion] situation map
One of the things I find most inadequate in Freespace is the radar screen. It just doesn't give enough info.

The first Space Sim I played (the one that got me hooked on the genre) was the original TIE Fighter, in the DOS age. I've never seen an in-game map screen quite as good as that one. My biggest gripe with Freespace and Starlancer is a relative lack of situational awareness.

What I want is a large map screen (called up as an overlay like in TIE fighter, or continuously shown on the secondary monitor of those who have one - after the DX8.1 upgrade this is certainly possible) to maximise sitational awareness.

It should be circular plane, centered around the player, showing the objects around him on their relative position, using a vertical 'pole' to display relative altitude.

Fighters should be represented by their icon. Capships as a model, hostile missiles as a dot. Colors would be green for friendlies, bluish-green for squadmates, red for enemies, yellow for incoming missiles.

There should be a zoom in/out control. Potential realism feature could be a maximum scan range, toggle-able to be displayed as a circle (on the ground plane) around each object with a scanner (or its anchor point on the plane). Sensor data would be shared between friendly fighters, cap ships and sattellites.

Another nifty toggle would be to show a health bar above each fighter and cap ship, RTS-game style, and have little icons to designate mission critical craft. If the screen real estate allows it, extended information (mission, speed) could be presented as well.

Of course, this whole thing is very ambitious. What would be a good start, I think, is to increase the current radar about 10-20% in size and show ships by icon, not as dots.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2002, 10:55:44 am by 867 »
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Offline Solatar

I'm no c++ coder. but that would take a long time. I think the radar is good enough as it is. And I never use it except in missions where you have to shoot down cloaked anemys. But, that would be kind of cool, if you could turn it on or off.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Personally I like the sensors, and its never been a problem for me to find a target in combat. :D
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Nor for me, and to be honest I always found TIE Fighter's situation map to be a pain in the *ss.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by vyper
Personally I like the sensors, and its never been a problem for me to find a target in combat. :D

Maybe he's just combat-challenged ;)

Something like this would be very nice to see (especially the idea of having the radar on another monitor) but I doubt it'll be added in the near future :(
-C

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
That map was useless, so was XvTs alert box thing (binded to key 'z'). Personally I find the radar perfect how it is. Those little dots are very comforting.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Doc Oc

Hey, it's only a suggestion. No need to get demeaning...

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Doc Oc
Hey, it's only a suggestion. No need to get demeaning...

Its constructive criticism!

I just realised this dude was a n00b. (or so he looks by his post count...) *shakes hand* Welcome, have you had the tour? Exits don't open any more, flamethrowers are located under-seat (if you can get them to light tell me how :doubt: ) Someone fire the welcome beam! Now goddamnit now!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by vadar_1
That map was useless, so was XvTs alert box thing (binded to key 'z'). Personally I find the radar perfect how it is. Those little dots are very comforting.

Actually I've yet to see a radar system that's as good as the one in Xwing vs. Tie. If it could be programmed in I'd be very happy. :)

I never had much use for the situation map though.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
**turns on the flashlight and points it in the apropriate direction**....this is the welcome beam.....welcome
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Doc Oc

Don't worry Vyper, nothing wrong in what you said ;). My problem was with Coolmon questioning my abilities in a genre I have been playing since it emerged.

You don't have to agree with my ideas. Just don't call me stupid for suggesting them. Respect.

But lets let what's done be done. My feelings werent hurt. Not deeply anyway. :wink: And I'm probably being over-sensitive anyway.

I like to have at all times as much information at hands as possible. Much more effective easier prioritising that way. I think the radar in FS2 could benefit from giving more info than it does now. That's why I made the suggestion. Agree or disagree.

It's not like the feature is going to get implemented when I'm the only one asking for it :wink:.

Offline Doc Oc

Thanks ShadowWolf.

/me follows the bright light...

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
well, while i find a full map and suck a bit excessive and more likely than not impossible to use in the heat of combat, I would like to see the option for a dual scope radar system, perhaps being able to switch between the one scope and 2 scope display options.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Doc Oc
Thanks ShadowWolf.
/me follows the bright light...

*Doc walks into a dark room, silent except for the quiet tap of his shoes on the hard floor. Suddenly, he hears the sound of a beam powering up...*
Gunnery control...OPEN FIRE![/i]

:D Flamethrowers are under the seats, exits are to the left and right (They aren't really 'exits' though... :drevil:), the Steakhouse is in the back serving everything from steak to Bosch beer to spacecrack. Er, I mean, uh, Spacecrackers. :nervous:
-C

Offline Doc Oc

lol, welcome beam indeed :)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
of course, the exits don't work, the flamethrowers are filled with water due to budgetcuts, and there's a big 8-legged creature with a built-in plasma gun moving around in the air ducts.  Never go to the air ducts. evar.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey