Author Topic: Shield don't display with new builds and cockpit mod  (Read 2643 times)

Shield don't display with new builds and cockpit mod
Hi, for now I'm stuck using v3.7.4 of FSO because any nightly gives me this problem.
I tried the last one from 3/3/17 with the clean up of the shader but still get this problem, but everything else is fine.

I post 2 screnshots to illustrate:

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline m!m

Re: Shield don't display with new builds and cockpit mod
What exactly is your issue? Everything looks fine on your screenshots...

Look at the shield display for the player ship and its target in the first screenshot! The ship icon is shiny and the shield bars don't show at all...

Edit: I mean icons at the left and right of the radar.

Offline m!m

The "flashy" icons are mostly supposed to look that way although the bloom could be reduced a bit. The shield bars are another problem though. What mod are you using and how can I reproduce it?

I'm using this mod http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93242.0

To reproduce simply start a mission with the cockpit version (included) and try a mission in the tech room (or the first one from the campaign). Then try with using the 3.7.4 exe.

BTW my screenshots are taken with no specific lighting settings in the launcher and "all features on" set (trying "darker" settings does not solve the issue anyway). I tried disabling some options but nothing seems to work for the shields. Disabling specular does remove the shiny effect.

Offline m!m

Ok, I can reproduce the issue.

Ok, I hope you'll find a workaround, 64bits buils are significantly faster on my system and I'd really like to use newer builds ^^

Thanks for your time m!m.

BTW disabling post-processing also removes the shiny effect, but still no shield display.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline m!m

No, it's not related to that bug.

I fixed the issue and have submitted the code for review: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/1274

Wow that was quick! Thanks m!m, i'll be waiting for the approval!

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I'm gonna have to look into why models are rendering white hot in render targets. That's really unusual.

Swifty I was thinking the same about the shiny rendering of icons in the cockpit it seems unusual indeed... as I said in my previous messages disabling specular or post-processing in the launcher removes the effect. I hope you'll find something let us know if it's the case and thanks!

Hello I post more screenshots for this issue. I'm using a build compiled today by myself so latest bugfixes are in. As you can see, shield is back in cockpit (as expected ^^) but targets are still very bright!

The first two screens are with all options enabled, the two  last are with post-processing disabled. As you can see even with post-processing disabled some ships still look bright... Also the first one is from original FS2 campaign just to be sure it was not a problem in my mod!

And a last one with post-processing enabled. If you look at the planet it looks a bit "grey" (you can compare with the third screenshot from previous post that was taken without post-processing).

New screenshots to illustrate another bug with cockpits in nightlies: the ballistic ammo is missing on the HUD.
The first screen was taken with 3.7.4 to show the difference.
Also for the shiny ships render in target view it seems to vary with your exposition to the sun (look at the next two screens).

Offline m!m

I found the cause for the missing ballistic gauge. It was an asset issue so no code changes were necessary for making it work. The full explanation can be found in the GitHub issue.

Thanks for the input m!m i'll take a look at this when I get some time

Indeed replaced it with a 4 frame animation makes the gauge appear as intended I didn't see the warning my bad!
Thanks