Author Topic: Suggestion... Deflector Shields?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Suggestion... Deflector Shields?
The current shields on fighters and capships dosn't seem to make alot of sense... They won't let primary weapons through... but they will beams, they won't let missiles through, but they will ships. I recommend that the shields have the option on that specific ship (as defined by a new entry to the ships table) to have a deflector shield system. Whereas, beams can't get through; and anything that comes in contact with the shields rubs or bounces off of them. So for example, a shielded capship, a bomber tries to get between the shields, instead bounces off; the bombers shields pushing against the capship's shields. Also, pherhaps that beams could deflect off a certain stregnth of shield. They still cause damage to the shield itself, but deflect off somewhere else. Just some thoughts, so far shields don't seem to be living up to their full potential.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
oo00000OOOOOooooOOOO000

i like, i like!!!

since when do the shields on fighters (and capital ships!?) not let missiles and primaries through?  is this a source code change you've done?

still, i like the option where you can select in the ships .tbl which one you want!

nice!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Uhhh.... he said that primaries and missiles DON'T go through shields, but thta beams and ships do...

BTW, I think that there should also be flags for the ships and weapons, that would allow them to go through shields (for example if a capship has shields, I guess that the torpedos should be able to go trough them...
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my fighter beam code has primitive sheild hit code in it, I only have it working for fighter beams becase I didn't want to screw up the balence of exsisting missions, but it would be beond trivial to get the code working for all beam types
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bobboau
my fighter beam code has primitive sheild hit code in it, I only have it working for fighter beams becase I didn't want to screw up the balence of exsisting missions, but it would be beond trivial to get the code working for all beam types

if something like that was to be done, I want it to be optional. I ragard beams as to powerful to be stoped by shields, the constant flux of energy punctures through the shield at a given place. In fact, I think the beams should deal a percentage of their full damage when a fighter has shields ( say 75% coz the shield keeps trying to reform where the beams penetrates it ), and 100% damage if the target has no shields.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
i don't like too much the way capital ships shields works, it is obvious that shields wasn't designed to be used on capitalships
(althought it may be funny the idea to have a "barrier" you have to pass trough if you want to fire your torpedoes) and the standard ani effect for the shields hits generate in my opinion a terrible mess with too many fighters in game firing at the same ship (or so it seemed to me in the only case i tried to add shields on a capship) and they require too many polys

suggestion:
wouldn't be possible to add shields to capships WITHOUT adding a modelled shield? i mean: it will work like if you have shields, even if they are not present as model, they are only "emulated" using an ani effect over the hull, so if shields=0 ->use the standard effect for hull hits (debris, fire..) , if shields>0 use a "new" effect (for example a little "dispersion ring" with the color of the laser over the hull texture)

Like the Vorlon ships, Whitestars, and The Excalibur!!! That's cool!

When they are hit the hull deflects over 80% of the damage from energy weapons... Any impact makes a prismatic spikey ring radiating outward from the point of impact...

Any chance of getting a test render of this in action? Or better yet making the real thing available? :nod:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
that's how they did in The darkening ( privateer2 ). looked great.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Originally posted by venom2506
that's how they did in The darkening ( privateer2 ). looked great.

Indeed :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by Raven2001
Uhhh.... he said that primaries and missiles DON'T go through shields, but thta beams and ships do...

uhhh, that's exactly what i said:

BY STEALTH:

since when do the shields on fighters (and capital ships!?) not let missiles and primaries through? is this a source code change you've done?

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Originally posted by Stealth

uhhh, that's exactly what i said:

Play FS2 again... please...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Primaries and Secondaries hit shields until shields fail
beams instant penetatration
collisions instants penetration
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
as i wrote in the modding forum,
in my opinion even enabling the shields when shield model is not present without changing the effect(so you just can't damage hull until shield is at zero) would be better than now, disabling the standard hit effect when shields are active even better, applying the shield effect or a new one to the hull to represent shields hitted the best possible (for example working on the actual fire effect that works with the coordinates of the hit), exactly like its done in most of the other spacesims
i also think that if we want fs2 to be considered as an engine to do whatever mod with, even not freespaceverse related, and i think it is in its possibilities, thanks to the source code, having "normal" shields on capships is very important, if possible with an option (in ships.tbl or weapons.tbl or sexp or whatever) to activate them against beams too
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 12:39:17 pm by 433 »