Author Topic: Insignia question.  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Adi

• Adi's hamster :)
 :v:
Short and simple question. Is there an easy way of adding/changing insignia on an existing ship model?
Writing a cool ship name on it's side for example?  :nervous: 
The Universe is a big place. we know it instinctively... it resonates on a deep level...

Hubble Deep Field on Youtube.com

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You need to use the Insygnia Editor in PCS2. It's fairly intuitive and not difficult to use.
Then, set a graphic of your choice as a squadron logo of your ship in FRED.

You might also want a nameplate. Creating it is a bit more difficult, but not much. You'll need GIMP for that. Just make a 512x64 pixels file, fill it with alpha (select all and press delete), type your name as white text in GIMP (I forgot which font is used in Mediavps nameplates), center it and save it with .dds, BC3/DXT5 compression (don't forget that you need a DDS plugin for GIMP). Then use "Texture replacement" option in FRED to replace "nameplate" texture with your nameplate. Not all ships are supported, and making Orion nameplates is even more complicated, but for most capships in Mediavps, this should work.

Offline Adi

Does it work the same on OS X?
The Universe is a big place. we know it instinctively... it resonates on a deep level...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If GIMP works on OSX, then yes, the creation process is the same. I'm not sure about FRED though, IIRC, it's Windows only. There's something called wxFRED, but I don't think it works yet. You could try using a Windows emulator though.

Offline Adi

I'm not sure about FRED though, IIRC, it's Windows only. There's something called wxFRED, but I don't think it works yet. You could try using a Windows emulator though.

I have this one figured out. I'm using Wineskin Wrapper and the missions work fine on Mac version of FSOpen.  :yes:

BTW, Twoj angielski nie jest taki zly ;)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Better than my Polish, actually. :) I haven't changed my sig since I joined, back then it was more fitting.
Anyway, I think GIMP should work on OSX. It's free, yet quite versatile, which makes it my tool of choice for bitmap creation and editing.

Offline Adi

Yeah. GIMP has it's OS X version too. Found it. :)

Offline Adi

So again, me.
I've figured out all of the above but one thing. FRED2_open. Apparently only FRED2_open supports the option for ship texture replacement. I couldn't get it run on my Mac (even tough trying hard).  :nono:
So my question is: Is it possible to replace textures in other way, in retail FRED2? And replace it only for a particular ship, not the model?

Sry for double posting.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Apparently only FRED2_open supports the option for ship texture replacement.

So does your text editor.

R

Offline Adi

So does your text editor.

R

Explain please :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Mission files are plain text. You can just open them with any text editor like notepad++, make your changes and save. You don't need FRED.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras