Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
I think all you need is a good story.

Look at Sync, uncharted territory, shrouding the light, Deus Ex Machina or Trimutri. You do not need a bunch of original assets, ton of new features or even voice acting to make a fun piece of work.

Also, this is how the game stays alive. Yes, you're probably not going to be the next BP on your first try. But even those get old. New stuff keeps people playing.
I am a player not a modder. I can't see the problem with creating "another" campaign with the original assets. Two things made this game a success originally. The quality of the original assets, that were well thought out and well executed, and the quality of the story. There is nothing wrong with using th original assets and creating a new high-quality campaign story. I enjoy the "complete make-over" mods, they are great, but you do what you can do. Better to create a new original environment campaign, and finish it than to take on a complete makeover project and quit halfway. I for one look forward to playing your effort.
Cheers
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
« Last post by Borgkube on May 10, 2024, 08:43:08 am »
Original Descent Freespace: The Great War!  My favorite all-time space sim. The Freespace series has the best HUD created even up to the current day, and you can customize it. This was not common back in the day. I like the command shortcut setup and you can change them. I have used Saitek, now Logitech, sticks for years and I program my stick for Freespace and the leftover non-critical commands are easily reached. The story is well done. Of course it is the usual save your side from the nasty attacking aliens but, it is well done. Descent voice-overs and good cutscenes. The opening video gives you the necessary feeling of urgency and panic of the sole survivor pilot. The DLC and Freespace 2 is more of the same which is just what you want. The quality of both original Freespace games is maintained. I highly commend Volition for putting the sourcecode for Freespace into the public domain when the company folded. Not something you see very often. Especially in today's world. Wherever the Volition  team ended up I hope they are doing well.  All of that leads up to today. The fact that this game is still being actinely modded today, 30 years later, tells how good the original games were, and how much the game is loved. Of course there are cons. The game was created in the days before the xbox/PS controllers were around. It was not created for today's screen resolutions. Of course the age of the game means that any halfway descent modern computer can run the game with the graphics on full. Most if not all of the cons have been dealt with by modders and the molded game runs very well on today's systems. All-in-all there way more pluses than minuses, and most problems can be corrected easily. You can't beat the price. I picked up both games for $7.99 om GOG. I actually have the original games, purchased at the time, with the original floppies and color manuals. I bought them to avoid the grunt work of installing the game and modding it up to run on today's systems. There was a time when I was happy to do all that work, and I still can, but I would rather use that time playing. Besides, $8 is way cheaper than the original games, and you can't complain about the 30 years of replayability that you have access to. It is also impressive of the quality of the work the molders have done over the years. Did I mention F.R.E.D. ? Freespace was one of the first games to include an editor so that you could easily create your own scenarios and share them with others. Look where That has led too today, both for Freespace and all the other games out there today. Oh well, enough talk, I could be playing the game instead of typing all this.
Cheers everyone!
give your creative desires form, create a mission, campaign, even if you use stock FS2 assets.
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 10 May 2024 - Revision c2335640a
« Last post by SirKnightly on May 10, 2024, 01:32:18 am »
Here is the nightly for 10 May 2024 - Revision c2335640a

Group: Linux
nightly_20240510_c2335640a-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240510_c2335640a-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240510_c2335640a-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240510_c2335640a-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240510_c2335640a-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit c3b01da2d
Author: Asteroth
Commit: GitHub

reduce volume threshold (#6127)
 code/sound/sound.cpp | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

commit 69c895750
Author: Goober5000
Commit: Goober5000

several improvements to DRADIS blips
 code/radar/radardradis.cpp | 21 +++++++++++----------
 code/radar/radarsetup.cpp  | 15 ++++++++++++---
 code/radar/radarsetup.h    |  5 +++--
 3 files changed, 26 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

commit 76359c649

remove some obsolete commented code
 code/radar/radardradis.cpp | 36 ------------------------------------
 1 file changed, 36 deletions(-)

commit 855331bcd

change sweep_percent field to sweep_angle to be more accurate
 code/radar/radardradis.cpp | 22 +++++++++++-----------
 code/radar/radardradis.h   |  2 +-
 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

commit fa6d64ae7

fix sweep_duration and disambiguate overall frametime
 code/radar/radardradis.cpp       | 6 +++---
 code/radar/radardradis.h         | 2 +-
 code/scripting/api/libs/base.cpp | 7 ++++++-
 freespace2/freespace.h           | 2 +-
 4 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

commit 539d89ca8

don't short-circuit eval_sexp on any nodes in a when-argument tree
 code/parse/sexp.cpp | 54 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------
 code/parse/sexp.h   |  7 ++-----
 2 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
« Last post by Colonol Dekker on May 09, 2024, 02:03:35 pm »
I keep going back to Between the ashes, but I can't seem to extract rhe vasudan agent.  He always dies 🤣
Well, just to provide my own input, I made Chanticleer as a solo project using the existing Blue Planet modpack, with no new assets, no new mechanics, no extra complexity - just a 13-mission campaign with limited ambitions.  If you're interested in making a first mod, I strongly suggest using one of the big modpacks (Inferno, BP, SerRes, etc) as a base and build off it so you don't have to do all the tedious work of putting tables together.
« Last post by ShivanSlayer on May 09, 2024, 05:11:04 am »
I just beat Shrouding the Light and crushed the HOL for good.  Next I will battle the NTF in Pandora's Box
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 09 May 2024 - Revision 68a936504
« Last post by SirKnightly on May 09, 2024, 01:34:36 am »
Here is the nightly for 09 May 2024 - Revision 68a936504

Group: Linux
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
commit 68a936504
Author: Kestrellius
Commit: GitHub

Make laser glow scaling configurable. (#6123)
 code/weapon/weapon.h    |  3 +++
 code/weapon/weapons.cpp | 32 +++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 2 files changed, 26 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
« Last post by Borgkube on May 08, 2024, 11:22:23 pm »
Fs1 campaign then FS2 campaign, all over again. Freespace Descent The Great War was always my all-time favorite space sim. It is still the best executed HUD in space Sims. The Shivans are a great Foe. One of my favorite of all my PC games. I was glad that Volition made the source available when they shut down. The fact that it is still being molded 30 years later speaks to the quality of the original product!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >