Author Topic: New Campaign/Mod - FSAR  (Read 22126 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Using -fredhtl, -mod FSAR,mediavps would let the FREDder use the media VP models for development. I wasn't certain if Art was using them though so I didn't mention that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Should I now use...

-fredhtl -mod FSAR,mediavps

or...

-fredhtl -mod FSAR

... :confused:

Im building the Missions with my Mod Files based on Fred Open...all you need is FCP and FSAR-Mod Files,so you can play my Campaigns,I thought...

Using -fredhtl, -mod FSAR,mediavps would let the FREDder use the media VP models for development. I wasn't certain if Art was using them though so I didn't mention that.

I want to make a Campaign,based on my FSAR Mod-Files and FCP...not the Retail Version...

And what do you exactly mean with Development...is fredding and modding,developing... :confused:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:02:21 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Basically, the way the -mod switch works, is it tells either FRED or FreeSpace Open where to look for their files.  Using the switch -mod FSAR,mediavps will tell FRED to look for its files in the folder FSAR first.  To do this, it first checks the actual folder for the files.  Then, it checks the vp folder for the files.  For example, \FreeSpace2\FSAR\data\tables\ships.tbl would override \FreeSpace2\FSAR\FSARtables.vp/data/tables/ships.tbl
Then, FRED looks in mediavps the same way, actual folder first, then the .vp folder
Last, FRED looks in the FreeSpace2 root actual directory, then .vp directory

Also keep in mind, that if more than one .vp in the current level (FSAR, mediavps, or the FS2 root dir) has the same file, eg ships.tbl, the .vp with the highest level name overrides the other(s).  eg, 1FSARtables.vp overrides FSARtables.vp  This can come in handy.

There is also a way to modify or add to a table file, without overriding it, using a .tbm file.  Ask kara how that works if you're interested, I'm not sure of the specifics yet.

To summarize,
-fredhtl -mod FSAR
*would load files in FSAR first, actual then .vp
  after that, the FS2 root dir actual then .vp
-fredhtl -mod FSAR,mediavps
*would load files in FSAR first, actual then .vp
  after that, mediavps actual then .vp
  after that, the FS2 root dir actual then .vp

-keep in mind that if you're not using mediavps enhanced ships, you should remove ",mediavps" in your mod.ini file after "secondrylist = "

-also, if you for example wanted to use FSPort ships, you could use -fredhtl -mod FSAR,fsport,mediavps  Just make sure you put ",fsport,mediavps;" in your mod.ini file after "secondrylist = "
Examples:
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,mediavps;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,fsport,mediavps;
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:23:52 am by jr2 »

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Nice Description...that help a lot...

The Fred Open Shortcut has only the...-fredhtl...Entry,but it uses the FCP Models...otherwise my Missions would look like Retail...or am I wrong ?

Bosch does Drugs...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, kara?  :nervous: 
I"m not sure about that one, I'm afraid.  Sorry.
EDIT: Wait, I do know.  It's because you have the mediavps enabled in your mod.ini file, remember?  So when you play, the files in the mediavps directory override the files in FS2root, so mediavps files are used.  To see this in FRED, however, you have to use the switch.  Right, karajorma?
Also, take a look at the FRED command line options listed in FRED Command Line Reference from the FSwiki.  I guess you can actually enable specular lighting and glowpoints and stuff with the right switches.  To see the effects, hit View>Show Ship Models
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:33:04 am by jr2 »

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
To see this in FRED, however, you have to use the switch.

I do see the FCP Models and Stuff...but not the FSAR Mod Stuff...in Fred Open...

So am I right when I say I don´t need to define them at all...as long as I define them in the Mod...cause if anyone uses the FSAR Campaign(Mod),without FCP...it wouldn´t work at all...right... 8)

that says I only need...

-fredhtl -mod FSAR

cause the Mediavps are already defined in my Mod Folder...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:52:36 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The correct place to have installed your mediavps is to a folder called mediavps in your main Freespace2 folder.

If you used Turey's installer or ShivanSPS's install they will already be in the right place. When you run your mod you'll need to tell the game to look in mediavps or it will ignore it and will only use the retail data. You do this using a mod.ini file as jr2 explained above. The mod.ini file goes in your mods folder and tells FS2 the names of all the other places FS2 has to look.

So if your mod is in Freespace2/FSAR and your copy of FRED has -mod FSAR,mediavps your mod.ini will need this line

secondarylist = mediavps;
If you had say -mod FSAR,fs1port,mediavps for FRED then you'd need

secondarylist = fs1port,mediavps;
if you had only -mod FSAR you wouldn't need a mod.ini at all since all the game would be looking at would be your mod and the retail files.

The first option is the one you want to be using I suspect (-mod FSAR,mediavps and the corresponding mod.ini file).

@jr2 - You're using the old syntax for mod.ini files there. Although that will work you should start spelling secondary correctly and drop the initial comma as Launcher 5.5a can now deal with the correct syntax as well as the older incorrect one.

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
OK THX...I finally understand it...

Its working...YESSS...OK some last fixes and Tech Decription redefinitions and im ready to Fred... :wakka:

What about a Mission,that introduces all the new Ships...anyone remembers TIE Fighter...the TI Mission on a Outpost where you have to identifie the incoming Ships,before they jump on to theyr next...well Jump Point... :D

I guess I do something like that...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:18:12 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@karajorma: Thx  :D
@Art: You mean for like a test mission?

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Well first i´m going trough the Wiki again...cause of that Enhancemend Flags...theese are in my FSAR Settings.ini...

flags = -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -no_vsync -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -snd_preload -nomusic -alpha_env ;

The .ini also says I shouldn´t distribute the Settings.Ini with the Mod...seems like it does a Auto-Setting for every Player...

Yes I ment a First "Test" Mission...even though,the whole 35 Mission String is already set up... :D

Nope...you´re absolutely right jr2...I put the new Flags into the Fred Open-Shortcut and now I can see the glows,envs and specs...in Fred Open...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:06:21 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Hy People,

Sry have to bumb this... :bump:

I have a Question about SEXPs...i just figured out that Beam Weapons are locked....now I want to know what else is locked when a Capital starts in a Mission...sry the Wiki doesn´t showed anything about that...only the Functions are descripted...

The second Problem was...I want to let 2 Crusiers attack my Base...after I destroy them,I want them to return as Waves...the Problem is,the SEXPs doesn´t work...which Bolean do I have to use then...???

Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
1) Beams are shut down by default. Use beam-free-all or set the beams active by default(this is a FRED Open option...);
2) You don't need any kind of SEXPs for waves. Simply group the cruisers in a wing, and make sure that multiple waves will jump in. This is, however, a bit weird: are you sure you can't simply add two other cruisers and make them jump when the first two are destroyed?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
1.I know that Beams are shut down...i wanted to know,if there´s something else that is locked by Default...
And how can I make Beams free by default in Fred Open...that´s interesting...

2.I just asked cause the Tutorial once telled me to do it with a SEXPs,but it didn´t work...I just wanted to sort that out,as I already did it like you mentioned...
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yah, it is possible, something like "when xyz is true, then beam-free-all <shipname>"  I forget, someone else help him.  *bangs head against wall*

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If you are using SCP then in in FRED go to Mission Specs editor.. toggle 'all ships beam-freed by default'
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I don't know what kind of SEXPs is connected to wings waving. Maybe you're confusing it with arrival and departure cues, that function with SEXPs...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@Art Kelson:
Go to the FRED Academy thread, then use the HLP search function; this will search within the FRED Academy child board.  Also, I suppose you could post questions there... karajorma is the moderator there.

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Yeah THX People...im already reading the Academy Thread...but it won´t answer any Question...

I found the Problem with the Waves...I have to define it as "Event" not as Ship-SEXPs...but it workes better if I just let jump in two new Ships...Beams are free by Default now...so no Probs anymore...

But another Question about the FSAR Universe...what do you think about making Systems that are embeded into Star Sectors...ehrmm a bit complicated to descripe,if English isn´t you´re normal Language...

What I thought was...the Nav Buyos...theese are the "Nav-Nodes" inside a Star Sector.They are needed to give a "Direction" a "Course",where Ships have to set they´re Coordinates to...as mentioned smaller Vessels like Fighters,Bombers or Shuttles are NOT able to jump between two Sectors...but they are able to jump between the Systems inside a Sector...The Problem with that is...if i set up Nav-Nodes...every Ship has to perfectly set up its Course to the Direction of that Nav-Node...what somehow would bound the Way Ships can jump into another System...So i came up with that Idea...what if Nav-Nodes are only used,to let you know where to jump ???...to jump out of a System would then be possible almost everywhere...but if you got into a System,it would always be close to the Places,the Nav-Nodes are set up...

Hope you understand what im thinking,I know its complicated descripted...but I just wanted to know what you think about that Idea...

Ohh and by the Way...maybe im doing another DP this evening...with the promised first FSAR Mission... :D

Ok I made an example Picture to better show you what i´m up to...

...and I forget...the Shivans can jump in and out anywhere...as long as they have propper Coordinates...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:16:03 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you're asking a question about how to do something in FRED you should ask it here not in the FA forum. The FA forum is only for questions about FA missions.

As for the actual question. You should not set up capships as a wing. Not only are you likely to run into some rather odd bugs due to that but also it looks odd to see a cruiser without a name. FS universe capships are always named.

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
No I won´t use FA Thread for Questions,I got through it a copple of Times before i started fredding seriously...

This was one of my first Thoughts when it´s about Capships...they all need Names...I did a complete Fleet and Civil Ship List...there are more then 1300 new named Ships...content of the first Mission for Example are the:

TCo.Bluefish-Class "T.S.S.Longrin"
TFri.Healer-Class "T.M.S.Mirinda"

Can I set up Freighters as Wings ?...or do they count as Capship...

Bosch does Drugs...