Author Topic: Olympus Burning  (Read 37725 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - Olympus Burning
Intriguing.... where does the music for the trailer come from? I must have it ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Adagio for Strings? It was in Homeworld, as well as a lot of other stuff. It's one of those pieces (Requiem for a Dream, O Fortuna, whatnot) that gets used all over.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
No it's not Adagio for strings.

I'm talking about the music in the official trailer (first link in first post) that is played when the ingame footage starts.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Thadeus

The Eurysilas seems overpowered, to say the least. I hope there's a good storyline reason for why Sol doesn't use that setup on every Orion and wtfpwn.
*kills topic*

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm...I've gone and imported my FSOrion model back into Truespace, edited the nameplates and exported it back. They are now part of he hull and use the stock capital01-05 texture.

For some strange reason, the size during exporting and importing changes slightly. Ended up a tad (200m)  bigger than the normal Orion

Try it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c937bcb38ef65c1d2db6fb9a8902bda
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The Eurysilas seems overpowered, to say the least. I hope there's a good storyline reason for why Sol doesn't use that setup on every Orion and wtfpwn.

Every Orion from Sol uses that setup.  This is what makes them such a powerful foe--the GTVA can no longer rely on raw power anymore, they have to use a lot of tactical approaches.

I did this because I want to include beams in Olympus Burning, and have them play a prominent role.  However, I wanted to return to the old FreeSpace 1 style of tactics where the Alliance can't resort to raw power (i.e. a huge capital ship like the Colossus).  So for the missions in the campaign involving enemy Orions, we won't be beaming them to death.

There was a mission in FreeSpace 2 where I saw maybe two or three NTF Orions blown up, one after another.  You know how they were killed?  They were beamed to death by Mjolnir sentry guns--and if I remember correctly, the Mjolnir beam is the most powerful beam cannon available to the GTVA.

Hm...I've gone and imported my FSOrion model back into Truespace, edited the nameplates and exported it back. They are now part of he hull and use the stock capital01-05 texture.

For some strange reason, the size during exporting and importing changes slightly. Ended up a tad (200m)  bigger than the normal Orion

Try it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c937bcb38ef65c1d2db6fb9a8902bda

I'll be happy to--on Sunday.  I'm on holiday in Charleston, South Carolina, typing this on a wireless connection from a neighboring townhouse.   I'll have to give it a try in a few days when I have access to my main computer back.

Thanks for being so willing to help, TrashMan.  From what I've seen so far, you seem intent on making your contribution, and I commend you for that.  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:10:14 pm by sigtau »
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Thadeus

Every Orion from Sol uses that setup.  This is what makes them such a powerful foe--the GTVA can no longer rely on raw power anymore, they have to use a lot of tactical approaches.

I did this because I want to include beams in Olympus Burning, and have them play a prominent role.  However, I wanted to return to the old FreeSpace 1 style of tactics where the Alliance raw power (i.e. a huge capital ship like the Colossus).  So for the missions in the campaign involving enemy Orions, we won't be beaming them to death.

There was a mission in FreeSpace 2 where I saw maybe two or three NTF Orions blown up, one after another.  You know how they were killed?  They were beamed to death by Mjolnir sentry guns--and if I remember correctly, the Mjolnir beam is the most powerful beam cannon available to the GTVA.

So this campaign will feature lots of cunning tactics against an overwhelming enemy?

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
*kills topic*

Offline sigtau

This project is still very, very alive.  The demo release is actually edging on around September or October, if I continue working at my current pace.

In other news, part one briefing music.  And more briefing music.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh damn, I've never seen this campaign before, looks like it'll be fun. :D

Offline eliex

In other news, part one briefing music.  And more briefing music.

I like that music, especially the second one's distinctive theme. Did you compose these yourself?

Offline sigtau

Mostly assembled out of loops, but the presentation and arrangement of the work is entirely my own.

I must say, I've played at least 75% of all FS and FS2 campaigns ever made and Olympus seems extremely promising. Excellent work!

On a side note though, what does TS stand for? Terran-Shivan? :eek: That wouldn't make much sense....
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Terran Solar I would presume.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I think FS2 had a really stupid approach to cap-ships in general. They were just thrown away left and right. Destroying a capship should be a daunting task.

Also, why the hell doesn't anyone withdraw?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline sigtau

I must say, I've played at least 75% of all FS and FS2 campaigns ever made and Olympus seems extremely promising. Excellent work!

On a side note though, what does TS stand for? Terran-Shivan? :eek: That wouldn't make much sense....

Thank you for the compliment, very appreciated!  And to answer that question of yours...

Terran Solar I would presume.

Correct. :)

I think FS2 had a really stupid approach to cap-ships in general. They were just thrown away left and right. Destroying a capship should be a daunting task.

Also, why the hell doesn't anyone withdraw?

TSA doesn't need to.  Their fighters are pure hell to deal with (I've been killed by Valkryies in test runs all too many times) and their beam cannons... well, that's a different story.   :drevil:

The GTVA on the other hand has to learn their lesson, you know?  They can't go in all-out every single time--and with four Orion destroyers--'scuse me, SUPERPOWERED Orion destroyers--invading their systems, they have a problem equating to about the same as the Taranis gave them with its constant harassment of their cruisers and destroyers... only about 5x worse.

Demo release is expected to be around September or October at the current rate of work.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Any FREDder not any idiot will make damaged enemy warships withdraw.

But with subspace tracking how useful is withdrawing?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Beg differ. :P You can't always do that. Plot demands it. The supposition that the player is making a difference also demands it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Or any FREDer who doesn't forget. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Beg differ. :P You can't always do that. Plot demands it. The supposition that the player is making a difference also demands it.

With the caveat 'if possible', yes.

I'm going to edit the thread title. Capslock should probably be reserved for release threads.