Author Topic: Fine tuning BP's graphics  (Read 3037 times)

Fine tuning BP's graphics
Just loaded up Blue Planet again for the first time since November. Had to do a big system restore deal on this laptop, just now getting to putting Freespace back on and fine tuning it.

So I'm up and running pretty well except that on the first mission things look... I don't know, not as I remember them? Not as I see in the screenshots around here? Just seems kind of off. Check out the Raynor on the first mission of BP...

Is it just my imagination or does it look strange to anyone else? I got all this via Shivan's SCP back over on Gen Discuss and so it's 3.6.10 and everything. But it seems to me like I could make the game look better. But is it in my head? I just remember the Raynor was darker and more blueish than the kinda splotchy gray seen here.

Re: Fine tuning BP's graphics
I don't believe that Shivan's SCP pack included the 3.6.10 version of Blue Planet.

Here is the link for it: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,61406.0.html

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And check your mod.ini to make sure it's referencing the MediaVPs.

Also, check your launcher to make sure all the relevant graphical details are turned on.

Mod.ini looked good. I did follow that link and d/led BP 3.6.10 and that made things look much better. Except this oddity. What's up with these beams???  :confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's a problem with the 3.6.10 MediaVPs. Here's a patch you should put in your MediaVPs folder (extract it there.)

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
I like rainbow beamz. :nervous:
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
I like rainbow beamz. :nervous:

You mean you like it when each subsequent graphical update causes the Shivan beams to vomit psychedelic narm?

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Dude...i WANT those beamz...

Offline -Norbert-

It's hard to tell how good the Raynor looks from that viewing distance....
But a flag that can make a massive difference in graphic quality is the "normal flags". If you havn't done so, you should really enable that one.

One thing that does strike me as odd is, that I just tried to look at how the Raynor looks in this mission on my PC and on exactly the same angle as in you screenshot, I got slight light-reflections on the topside of the Orestes, which I don't see in your screenshot.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Specular and environment maps should accomplish the shininess, right?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Yes, along with, perhaps, reduced ambient light.

Offline eliex

Herra Tohtori's light settings are exceptionally good for general glossiness.

Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Hey thanks for linking to that. I've been experimenting with those light settings all day. Fun stuff!

Got another graphical oddity for you maestros I'm afraid! I've continuing my replay of Blue Planet and just completed Forced Entry (at 1% hull! That Basilisk wing at the end is murderous on hard/insane!) and took this little gem during Proving Grounds. Resolution is set to 800x600 at the moment b/c any higher than that and my rig would slow to a crawl during Forced Entry. Anyway...

Yep. That's a rather ASSY looking Lucifer alright! Transparent too, can see clear through the hull. Jee that green nebula is pretty though.  ;) Little help?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you sure you are seeing through? the Lucy is quite reflective on most parts of it's body.

get close and take a look, maybe you are seeing the nebula that's on your back.
el hombre vicio...

Get close to the Lucifer?! Boy is you insane? :confused:

Kidding. I'll get on that and report back.

EDIT: Well that was worthwhile. Guess you were right! I never knew how shiny the Lucifer actually is. Every time I've ever been close to that thing I've been trying not to die. That ship is SHINY. Holy cow. I got up close to its belly (the side seen in that screenshot above) and it's reflecting light off (I think) the planet below. And then I climbed to the top of it, looked down, and it was like looking down into a black obsidian mirror. I swear I could see my fighter reflected off that dark polished surface. It's quite a pretty ship when it's not wiping out Terran civilization.

Anyway, my mistake! Lucifer is not see through :-).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:54:09 pm by Javito1986 »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yeah it's damn shiny... too much, but it's ok.. you can see yourself exploding right after dying.

and that's :cool:
el hombre vicio...

Offline eliex

Cheat if you're specifically going for screenshots.  :nod: